35 million quid..

Chat about anything else

35 million quid..

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 15 Aug 2007, 08:57

I read that someone in the UK was unlucky enough to win almost 35 and a half million quid. I say unlucky because can you imagine the pressure they will be under, how much their life will change, friends will turn into jealous enemies, family members, well....lets not go there. :twisted:
Its far, far too much for an individual to win, the magnitude of it just blows the mind. :o
I think that if you win that much in the US you get all sorts of advice and its given to you in pension form. In UK and Oz they just chuck a cheque at you and recommend you see a financial advisor. ;)
What would you do if you won that much? :?:

The first thing I would do is pay all debts of my family and close friends.
Secondly I would set up a Foundation to help worthwhile charities, which would take a huge hunk of it.
I would then take myself to Switzerland and book myself into a clinic and have a complete physical.
Next I would instruct Symi Visitor to negotiate the lease of a fine establishment for the next season. It would be free of charge to all my mates for as long as they wanted to stay..limited to 4 weeks in order to give everyone a chance.
An open tab would be given to one taverna and one bar where folk could dine and drink for free on producing a special card. The tabs would be settled monthly or once a pre-agreed limit was reached.

Ain't it great to dream? :D
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

35 million quid..

Postby maziemoo » 15 Aug 2007, 12:33

Can't get my head around this either OG.

First of all I'd throw a huge party for all my family and friends then....
I'd pay for my elderly and frail dad to have a wonderful holiday in a place of his choice.
I'd pay for my mother to have the best possible care during her remaining days.
I'd ensure that my youngest brother, and sister and nieces had sufficient resources to live a much more comfortable and stress free life than they've done so far.
I'd buy my eldest brother the property in Italy he's hankering after.
I'd ensure my sons were both on the property ladder.
I'd make donations to all of my favourite charities.
I'd plan a round the world trip for myself and my sons to visit all places on our wish list ending up in Symi where we would look for a property to buy so that I could spend the rest of my days there and the boys would have somewhere to come as and when they wanted.
I'd donate money for a piece of equipment to a department in my local hospital speeding up care for thousands cancer patients.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

35 million quid..

Postby Mille » 15 Aug 2007, 12:38

Hmm, actually it's a tough one..

First of all, I would pay all our debts back.. In the smallest coins possible ( just to watch the face on the bank lady!)
Buy a car with enough room for all of us.
New furniture and clothes and what ever the kids would like.
Travel with my parents and my in- laws.
Buy a property on Symi

Dreaming is great!
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

35 million quid..

Postby Kon » 15 Aug 2007, 12:47

Me i would leave the keys on the front door no bags straight to the airport and Symi would have a new resident 8-) oh i would probably buy the Nireus and have the best room for life. :P And my motor yacht in front .I would probably buy the best cake shop there too and eat the profits.MMMMMMMMMMMM DREAMS :(
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

35 million quid..

Postby Allan » 15 Aug 2007, 12:50

[quote="Ozzie Geoff"]

The first thing I would do is pay all debts of my family and close friends.
[/quote]That's very generous of you OG my old mate, my old pal, my old buddy. ;)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

35 million quid..

Postby Kojak » 15 Aug 2007, 12:54

Actually, the lottery company and all the football pools companies always offer financial advice to big winners. Not everyone takes it of course. The one bit of sound advice is to get rid of most of it while you live - Gordon Brown just loves to collect inheritance tax!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

35 million quid..

Postby Joanie » 15 Aug 2007, 16:16

Can i have a month next June Geoff please :D :D :D :D :D
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

35 million quid..

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 16 Aug 2007, 09:52

'course you can, Joanie. :D Gee, not long before you set out on your epic adventure. I'll be away when you get here, I get back from Bali on 8/11 by which time you will have settled in. ;) :geek:
Did your daughter go to Oceanus for her celebration? Or are they saving it up for you? 8-)
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

35 million quid..

Postby Joanie » 16 Aug 2007, 10:45

She's ended up with high blood pressure and water retention so she's been resting,baby's due on Saturday.She's not been anywhere for a few weeks.they'll probably go when she's had the baby.Cant stop thinking about her at the moment :( :(
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

35 million quid..

Postby benedetti » 16 Aug 2007, 12:29

I have everything I need.....maybe I'd buy a peerage or become the prime minister like Mr Pickwick.............If I ruled the world I'd abolish poverty.
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

35 million quid..

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 16 Aug 2007, 15:42

You're right, Sorella, if you have your health and a few good friends you've got everything. :geek: :D 8-)
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

35 million quid..

Postby Jerry » 16 Aug 2007, 16:10

Some may say money can't buy happiness, but I would suggest it certainly helps. Ask the millions of people in the world without any money. In addition, for the many who visit Symi do so by spending money. I know the money we spend on travelling gives us great happiness.
Jerry
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

35 million quid..

Postby maziemoo » 16 Aug 2007, 21:09

Yes Jerry I think there is a degree of truth in what you say. Certainly I wouldn't have had the opportunity to meet some of the wonderful people that I have without being fortunate enough to be able to travel....and I've a few new people to look forward to meeting in September when I get back to Symi :D :D :D .

I do regard myself as extremely fortunate in terms of my wonderful circle of friends and family and being able to earn a living which enables me to put a roof over my head and fund my holidays.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

35 million quid..

Postby MacDuff » 18 Aug 2007, 07:27

OG has it right, it is great to dream :) But most of the important things in life cannot be bought. :) At some time, we should recognize that in a world of finite resource we cannot have more and more people with more and more wealth and possessions - the equation just does not work. No matter wealth, you only eat one breakfast :)
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

35 million quid..

Postby maziemoo » 18 Aug 2007, 11:58

Tis certainly true MacD, tis certainly true!
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

35 million quid..

Postby Joanie » 18 Aug 2007, 14:29

Now the lady's worried her son may be kidnapped for a ransom.She should'nt have had the publicity.
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

35 million quid..

Postby Trailer » 18 Aug 2007, 15:34

I agree with you Joanie - how foolish to allow all that publicity, and certainly her fear is an understandable one in this dangerous world.

If I won �35m. I'd disappear!! So if you don't hear from me for six months, you'll know why!!! (Except you OG, we'd be off on a world cruise, or two, or three)!
Trailer
Visitor

35 million quid..

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 18 Aug 2007, 15:59

We'd tango, foxtrot, rumba, jive and horizontal folk dance all around the bloody world, Trailer (x). :twisted:
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Return to Off Topic