UK and EC citizens welcome Prime Minister Broon

Chat about anything else

Postby Kojak » 05 Jul 2007, 22:29

I'd rather it was York, Macduff - have you seen the way they drive in Preston? - I'm sure there's a dufferent driving test down here :o
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby MacDuff » 05 Jul 2007, 22:45

Yes Kojak, York it ought to be :) Probably outside the City wall :?: There would of course be a lot of wisecracks about building it in the Shambles :idea: not that doing so could ever equate with the one at Westminster :o :evil: :idea: :(
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 06 Jul 2007, 11:08

You state the points much more eloquently than I MacDuff as did my mate Kojak and I have to admit I agree with comments you have both made :) .

I do wonder what real future there is for my sons in the UK and would like to think that one day they may choose to explore opportunities further afield :) . I think it's always good to have a different perspective on life :) .

The youngest is a design engineer and I'm sure would do better to persue opportunities overseas since the UK doesn't really appear to value it's engineers. The eldest is really interested in politics and history (and the Romans and Greeks) so as you can imagine, he and I have some very interesting discussions and at least I get to do that within a safe haven so to speak ;) !
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby MacDuff » 10 Jul 2007, 20:50

Mazie, tell your son to make enquiries at Canada House in London about employment opportunities in his field in Alberta. :)
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 11 Jul 2007, 10:38

Thanks for that MacDuff....I'll pass it on :) .

He has raised the subject of Canada in conversation before so perhaps he's already started to think along those lines....I certainly hope so. Much as I love him and would miss him badly, I'd really like to see him realise a decent life for himself and it's not just about money, it's about quality of life and values.

I try very hard not to have a downer on my own country but unfortunately I'm finding it harder and harder no to...the truth of it is, I feel like a square peg in a round hole :( !
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 12 Jul 2007, 05:44

Hi Maiziemoo, Ask your son to drop into Australia House after Canada's. I'm sure a design engineer would be snaffled up....then you'd get your trip to Oz. :geek: :D
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 12 Jul 2007, 20:53

OG...that's a real smart suggestion :) ....wouldn't be too under-handed of me to suggest it would it?
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby MacDuff » 30 Jul 2007, 03:27

Just a late addition M and M (that's what we in Canada have instead of smarties) sweet things :mrgreen: Return flight from Gatwick to Edmonton is about four hundred quid :) Unemployment in Alberta is just over 3%. We have the lowest personal taxes in Canada and our total sales tax (GST) is 6% :D I think VAT is about three times higher. Our health service is pretty good and gasoline is about a dollar a litre. :geek: Oh! and we don't have kangaroos :idea:
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 30 Jul 2007, 11:48

So remind me, why am I still living in the UK never mind about me trying to encourage my sons to explore life further a field :?: !

Only reason I can think of at the moment is my sense of responsibility for aging, unwell and very frail parents, oh plus of course wanting to be close to my sons.

However I have started to plan my exit strategy ;) !
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby MacDuff » 01 Aug 2007, 01:58

You are right MM, blood is thicker than water :)
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 02 Aug 2007, 11:39

True my friend, true !
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Dave » 12 Aug 2007, 17:13

Ah - Graeme. Agree with some of what you say but not all! And your colourful language re Quote "the whore from Grantham" was well out of order. Thatcher got into power because of the incumbent people .... as no political party ever got a government elected it must have been through desperation of what existed that the election was decided by the oiks like me - no allegiance, just what is right. As this country was then on it's knees - and at 60 I've seen it a few times (usually under Labour) and having no political affiliation whatsoever, she was the right force at the right time.
And it's not wrong that Scotland has those things - it's right. But available to all, surely ? Not 80% of the cost met by the rest of the UK population for your benefit whilst the rest cannot get life saving drugs.
It's either the United Kingdom or it's not. If it is - fair play for all. If it's not, then you people north of the border pay your own way ! Don't take the brass and then crap on the collection plate !
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 13 Aug 2007, 13:17

She certainly was the right force at the right time and I've rarely come across a man with the balls that she had, and that's not said in any malice guys.

Even if you don't agree with everything she did, it has to be said, she did help get back some respect for this country and provided strong leadership particularly through the Falklands war.

She at least had a mind of her own and I'm sure wouldn't have let the likes of Bush have one over on her, certainly not without a bl***y good fight anyway :twisted: !

She lost the plot a bit towards the end, but I think she is one of the best PM's during my voting lifetime anyway and that's not said with a female bias.

Anyway I guess we can all take a view but nobody really stands out in the crowd for me anymore and all parties seem to be a variation of a theme although sometimes when policies are different it's appears to be more for the hell of it than for any genuine agenda.

Anyway that's enough of politics for me, I'm off to the other threads for some lighter banter :) !
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby MacDuff » 14 Aug 2007, 03:59

Yes, by 1979, the U.K. needed a dictator - irrespective of party - and it elected one. But Maggies bacon was saved by one Keith Speed, Parliamentary Secretary for the Navy under John Nott as Minister of Defence. Speed dragged his heels at the instruction to "mothball" a large part of the fleet. He was maggie's first firing for failing to cdomply with her wishes. But behold when the Falklands popped up, it was those self same ships which enabled Maggie to fight the Falklands war. Maggie the Hen however never recognised her debt to Speed and had effectively ended his political career. Yes, one thing the Yanks have got right, is limiting the period of Presidency to 8 years. Both the U.k. and Canada should do the same to Prime Ministers. After 8 years they have little left to offer!
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Graeme » 14 Aug 2007, 14:55

"80% of the cost met by the rest of the UK population for your benefit whilst the rest cannot get life saving drugs."

Have you a source to back up that statistic Dave? Or did you just make it up?

And what are you suggesting. If the English can't have life saving drugs ...then the fairest solution is nobody else should have them either??

I will happily pay for what we get "North of the Border". Just rebate me my share of the cost of the London Olympics, The Millenium Dome, The Channel Tunnel et al, and I can spend that.
Graeme
Visitor

Postby Kojak » 14 Aug 2007, 18:46

Your argument is very selective Graeme. The Millenium dome, Wembley etc., although located in London, are available to all, unlike free tuition and health care for the elderly which are reserved for Scots. Under the Barnett Formula - I quote:

"Under the Barnett formula, drawn up in the 1970s, Scotland currently gets �1,500 more cash to spend on public services for each member of the population than England."

Tax collected in England is used to subsidise the Scottish Parliamant, a fact that Alex Salmond in his speech this morning re a referendum on Scottish independance was careful to avoid. I think that if the reverse were to apply and Scots subsidised English spending we would hear a very loud howl of protest - and I bet you'd be one of the first to shout!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby MacDuff » 15 Aug 2007, 06:02

Those with a true knowledge of Scots history, would be aware of the "Auld Alliance" and perhaps consider that the Chunnel further aids the "allies" to get together 8-) Rabid blind nationalism has always been the last resort of the politically inept :twisted: It is oh so easy to blame others for ones own misfortunes or ineptitudes. One of Scotland's difficulties in the long standing debate regarding the Union has been those who tend to display a marked sense of inferiority :( I have previously disclosed my own views about the structure of British politics. :) My views are not based on being anti, but rather at addressing the best interests of all the British people :) As I said, the people of the north of England have been at least as neglected as the Scots.
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 15 Aug 2007, 12:05

Oh dear this seems to be going the way political discussions usually go.....downhill and with a degree of nastiness :twisted: :twisted: and I'm not sure it's really necessary.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but resorting to insults isn't the most intelligent way to conduct an arguement :( .
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Richard » 15 Aug 2007, 12:24

And remember the blessed W.I. ban discussions of religion and politics. I know nobody is brave enough to argue with them.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 15 Aug 2007, 12:40

Maybe they have a point Richard...who knows?

The trouble with discussions on such matters is that they rarely stay as just discussions.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic