Did you know.....

Chat about anything else

Did you know.....

Postby Kon » 20 Apr 2007, 06:07

1. The word "lethologica" describes the state of not being able to remember the word you want.

2. Wearing headphones for 1 hour will increase the bacteria in you ear by 700 times.

3. If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end due to the rate of reproduction.

4. The average human body contains enough sulfur to kill all the fleas on an average dog.

5. You are more likely to be target for mosquitos if you eat bananas.

6. The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.

7. In medieval England, beer was often served with breakfast.

8. The first man-made item to exceed the speed of sound was a leather whip.

9. The most common non-contagious disease in the world is tooth decay.

10. A cat's jaw can not move sideways.

11. The names of all the continents end with the same letter they started with.

12. If you stood at the bottom of a well, you would be able to see the stars even during the daytime.

13. Grapes will explode if you put them in the microwave.

14. Starfish do not have brains.

15. Cats have better memories than dogs.

16. The largest number of children born to one woman is 69.

17. If you keep a goldfish in a dark room, it will eventually turn white.

18. Clouds fly higher during the day than at night.

19. One human brain generates more electrical impulses in one day than all the world's telephones put together

20. The Bloodhound is the only animal whose evidence is admissible in an American court

21. On average 13 people die each year from vending machines falling on them.

22. An elephant can throw a baseball faster than a human.

23. Arachibutyrophobia is the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth.

24. Mozart wrote "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" when he was 5 years old

25. There are 3 golf balls sitting on the moon

26. A zebra is white with black stripes, not black with white stripes.

27. You are more likely to be killed by a champagne cork than a spider.

28. A cow gives nearly 200,000 glasses of milk in her lifetime

29. There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball.

30. The total length of eyelashes shed by a human in their lifetime is over 30 meters.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Did you know.....

Postby Adriana » 20 Apr 2007, 09:14

Up until the late nineteenth century only the rich could afford tea or coffee, and safe drinking water in towns was not readily available, so beer was the normal drink for everyone else for a long long time. No wonder they called it 'Merrie England'! :D
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Did you know.....

Postby Kojak » 20 Apr 2007, 10:13

I've never had beer for breakfast..... although, being easily led, I have occasionally been up until breakfast time. :idea:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Did you know.....

Postby MacDuff » 23 Apr 2007, 06:58

Hasn't beer become a wonderful source of tax revenue in the U.K. Bitter was one and fourpence in 1950 :geek: "Small" beer is quite a joke :idea: A bottle of malt whisky costs more in Dufftown, home of five world famous distilleries than we pay for it here in Canada. I understand (Economist) that the U.K. pays 46% of GDP in tax and that France is up to 50% :twisted: We here are at 37%. Perhaps Kon you could come up with a suitable line :?:
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Did you know.....

Postby Kojak » 23 Apr 2007, 07:07

It's called a "Brown" tax, Macduff - usually collected from our back pockets! :(
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Did you know.....

Postby MacDuff » 23 Apr 2007, 07:16

You have a problem coming, Broon is a son of the manse (presbyterian)Liquor isn't a pleasure, it's a sin :)
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Did you know.....

Postby Dave » 23 Apr 2007, 22:15

In that case, how come he athered a child? Or does that count as a guilty pleasure ?
Christ - if he finds a way to tax that sex thing, some people are in big debt. ( Not me you understand - after 25 years of marriage, in this house sex is what we have coal delivered in ! ;)
And where would they attach the relevant metering equipment ? :?:
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Did you know.....

Postby Richard » 23 Apr 2007, 23:18

At least Whisky was invented in Japan and the best still comes from Ireland, of course. When did the Scots start copying it, does anyone know?
I remember paying 1s 11d for a pint of bitter.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Did you know.....

Postby MacDuff » 27 Apr 2007, 19:19

The reason you paid 1s 11d for a pint Richard was because you were in the lounge bar :geek: In 1956, the Japanese sent a small delegation (7 if I recall), to Keith in Banffshire where they stayed for three weeks in The Royal Hotel. During that three weeks they went daily to the Strathisla Distillery to study making Scotch. 8-) . Having gleaned they thought, the required information and technology, they flew back off to Japan (probably on BOAC). Seven years later, who appeared back in the same Royal Hotel, but the Japanese. :) This time they brought with them, some of their home produced "Scotch" 8-) I was one of the privileged :idea: tasters of the said beverage :( However, I have never carried out a direct comparison with Jamiesons :twisted: Strathisla produce Chivas Regal and Strathisla Malt, both of which can be purchased world wide. Jamieson's is for the Irish and somewhere on Hokkaido there is an elderly Japanese gentleman................
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Did you know.....

Postby Richard » 28 Apr 2007, 00:08

I was thinking about 200 years before that. I always preferred Bushmills to Jameson anyway.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Did you know.....

Postby Dave » 28 Apr 2007, 19:09

I knew someone would drag a bitter memory from my long forgotten ill-spent youth ! :cry:

Whilst visiting Tokyo and Yokohama we had the "privilege of a visit to (and tastings of)
Sun Tory whisky ! :?:

It was a few years ago and not a success ! But, given their talents for reducing the size of everything beyond western imagination - especially in electronics - we were only too pleased that they had not reduced a double whisky into a single ! :geek:
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Did you know.....

Postby MacDuff » 30 Apr 2007, 06:54

Hey Richard, isn't it odd that despite their fearsome and indeed well merited reputation as boozers, that the Irish have such a small selection of booze varieties :geek: Bottled Livey, which has given Lord Iveagh and family enough cash to shoot pheasants over 11,000 acres in East Anglia, Bushmills and Jamiesons. I have to confess to having sampled all three, if I had to have a preference it would be for Jamiesons, which I rate as highly as Jack Daniels. :geek:
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Did you know.....

Postby Richard » 30 Apr 2007, 12:09

Talking of Iveagh, where is the biggest Guinness brewery in the world? Clue: it invented Guinness Export, which is, I think, 7.5%.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Off Topic