Datca

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Datca

Postby anton » 02 Jun 2014, 15:26

Adriana's blog today reminded me that when we first discovered Symi in 2007 (I know, I know - mere newcomers) there were trips to Datca on a saturday. At the time we thought about it but never got round to booking the trip. A couple of years later and it was too late because the trips stopped due to legislation making them uneconomic. However I do remember reading somewhere that it was still possible to visit Turkey and I wondered if anyone knew anything about this.

We're fairly seasoned Symiasts now ,roll on August, and one of the things we love is discovering something delightful and new each time we come, so I'd be interested if anyone can suggest other trips or excursions which are slightly out of the ordinary such as the Symi Tours Panormitis/MArathounda coach trip recently mentioned on this forum.
anton
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Datca

Postby JuliaB » 03 Jun 2014, 09:58

Now almost at the end of our two weeks on Symi. :cry: Our break from tradition this time has been to visit Patmos, a mini-cruise on the Dodek calling in at Kos, Kalymnos, Leros and Lipsi en route. Fascinating to have a glimpse of these islands and the frenetic activity when the boat docks! Patmos very different from Symi but the Monastery of St John is well worth a visit. A night's B and B at the Blue Bay Hotel was 30euros for the two of us. Enjoy your holiday!
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Datca

Postby Andy W » 03 Jun 2014, 10:31

There is a company which claims to operate a daily service between Symi and Datca, you can find timetables on-line. At one point it was bookable on-line, but as far as I know no sailings have actually happened and I've heard complaints that refunds haven't happened either.

There are boat-owners on Symi who will go to Datca as a private charter - maximum 12 passengers to avoid international licensing issues, this and the port fees can make it expensive. You'll need to ask around though as in August they can probably make much more money with less bureaucratic hassle keeping local to Symi. Beginning and end of season are the most likely times.

Dodekanisos Seaways usually have multiple day trip options for visiting other islands - Kastellorizo every Wednesday (via Rhodes but the same ferry throughout, Kos and Kalymnos most days all summer, Halki, Tilos, or Nissyros on Sundays during June.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Datca

Postby Adriana » 06 Jun 2014, 08:44

If you do manage to find a boat to take you to Datca, if you have a British passport the visa is now 25 euros and is valid for 90 days, multiple entry.

Datca is looking a lot more prosperous than it did when I was last there a few years ago and the whole town seems to have had a lick of paint. There is quite a good multilingual second hand bookshop in the lane one tier up from the port, next to the Jazz bar. It has a good range of stuff, including classics, evidently sourced from the flea markets and house sales of Europe. Run by a charming young hippy type who is happy to let you browse. Luckily they were closed on Sunday morning when we were on our way back (private yacht) as otherwise Nicholas would still be in there!
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Datca

Postby D and E » 06 Jun 2014, 23:01

Elpida's advertises a trip to Dacta on a Saturday and we found a brochure in The Nireus as well in case anyone is interested going over. Like others we have always thought about it - next time.
Do like the sound of JuliaB's trip.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Symi Chat