The News is Out!

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

The News is Out!

Postby Adriana » 22 Dec 2007, 10:10

Just received a mail-shot message that the Brussels Sprouts will be arriving on the island this afternoon. :D

If I put them on tonight they should be just right by Tuesday... :twisted:

Actually I'm going for a recipe I found in the Real Greek at Home which involves stuffing pork with figs that have been poached in red wine. Several batches of figs have already been sampled... :geek:
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Mille » 22 Dec 2007, 10:16

Sprouts???? [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sick/sick0022.gif[/img]

You cant be serious.. They taste like the smell of old gym socks!

Merry Christmas

[img]http://www.langkawi.dk/smileys/t76.gif[/img]
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

The News is Out!

Postby Adriana » 22 Dec 2007, 10:23

Actually the only time I cook sprouts is if I have grown them myself. :oops: I pick them when they are the size of marbles, sautee them briefly in olive oil and serve them with chopped toasted walnuts on a bed of rocket. The same trick works well with calabrese (green broccoli). Things my Italian grandmother taught me :D

That's one of the differences between being South African and being British - a totally multicultural culinary heritage! :)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Kojak » 22 Dec 2007, 10:27

Far too late, Adriana! Sprouts should have been put on at least two weeks ago or they won't be cooked by Christmas Day! And if they taste like old socks, Mille obviously isn't doing them properly! :twisted:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Mille » 22 Dec 2007, 10:34

[quote="Kojak"]

Far too late, Adriana! Sprouts should have been put on at least two weeks ago or they won't be cooked by Christmas Day! And if they taste like old socks, Mille obviously isn't doing them properly! :twisted:
[/quote]

No matter how they've been cooked, they still taste like crap. And I wouldnt cook'em myself. Cant stand the smell :o
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

The News is Out!

Postby Adriana » 22 Dec 2007, 10:36

Never boil brassicas. :P
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Kojak » 22 Dec 2007, 10:55

Really Mille! fancy depriving your children of sprouts! - and at Christmas too! The poor kids will be begging for them on the streets! :P
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Adriana » 22 Dec 2007, 10:57

Now if we fed sprouts to the hamster the webcam would probably speed up... :twisted:
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Mille » 22 Dec 2007, 11:03

[quote="Adriana"]

Now if we fed sprouts to the hamster the webcam would probably speed up... :twisted:
[/quote]

Careful now, dont lit any thing near the poor animal :twisted:

Kojak, sprouts is not something we eat in this country at Christmas time.
Red Kraut (R�dk�l in Danish), Sugared potatos and normal white potatos are more likely to hit the table with the pork loin with crackling :)
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

The News is Out!

Postby maziemoo » 22 Dec 2007, 12:21

Boiled brassicas could be a very painful condition :twisted: !

[quote="Adriana"]

Never boil brassicas. :P
[/quote]
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby maziemoo » 22 Dec 2007, 12:23

That poor old hamster....by the time he's had a mince pie and a few brussels he'll be floating upwards like a hot air balloon :idea: !
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Sheila and Andrew » 22 Dec 2007, 13:17

Here is our recipe for sprouts.

Take 1 large box of Ferrero Rocher chocolates and around a kilo of sprouts. Eat all the Ferrero Rocher chocolates over the course of an evening or two in front of the TV, unwrapping each one very carefully so as not to damage the gold foil or the little paper cup. Now take as many sprouts as there were Ferrero Rocher and carefully wrap each sprout in the empty gold foil. Replace each wrapped sprout in the Ferrero Rocher box. When the doorbell rings and you are greeted by bloody carol singers, offer them their choice from the Ferrero Rocher box :) . Works well on Trick Or Treat night as well ;) .

Which reminds me. What's the difference between Brussels sprouts and snot :?: ? Answer :twisted: have you tried getting your kids to eat Brussels sprouts?
Sheila and Andrew

The News is Out!

Postby Adriana » 22 Dec 2007, 13:26

That's hardly the spirit of Christmas :o

When the children come round with their triangles and guitars, singing the kalanda (Greek Christmas carols) we give them sweets and money. :D

Although I must say the little poppet armed with a cassette player and a cash box did rather take my breath away one year - but we rewarded her initiative! :)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby maziemoo » 22 Dec 2007, 15:35

This did rather make me smirk :D !

I've had 2 lots of carol singers.....the first were a young family who made a good effort at singing carols :D the 2nd was a group of young lads, who were much more persistent at making me answer the door than they were at singing. I was on the phone at the time they called so when I failed to answer they banged very hard :evil: to make sure I didn't ignore them :twisted: ....wish I'd thought of the Ferro Rocher approach on that occasion :twisted: !

Replace each wrapped sprout in the Ferrero Rocher box. When the doorbell rings and you are greeted by bloody carol singers, offer them their choice from the Ferrero Rocher box :) . Works well on Trick Or Treat night as well ;) .

Which reminds me. What's the difference between Brussels sprouts and snot :?: ? Answer :twisted: have you tried getting your kids to eat Brussels sprouts?
[/quote]
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Joanie » 22 Dec 2007, 20:04

:D :D :) :) And you should know about the smell of old socks Kojak :D :D :) :geek:
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Anthony » 22 Dec 2007, 23:47

Love the Ferro Rocher approach! :D :!: :!: :!: :D
Not that (living in a flat in the centre of London) I'm much troubled by carol singers or the trick and treat brigade.

If by any chance my doorbell does ring on such occasions, I simply don't answer it and the little b*****rs have no way of knowing which windows are mine, or whther I'm really in or out!
[img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/cool/cool0023.gif[/img] [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/scared/scared0016.gif[/img] [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/cool/cool0023.gif[/img]
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Kojak » 23 Dec 2007, 00:31

Lovely to see that the spirit of Christmas is alive and with us! As for the smell of old socks - my tasteful footwear is fragrant - ask Maz - she was closer than most... :oops:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 23 Dec 2007, 01:58

:o Please, Kojak, don't tell us that young Mazie was
"doing a Fergie".... :P :D
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby maziemoo » 23 Dec 2007, 02:29

Well Kojak's feet certainly didn't smell like they hadn't been washed for a week :o to me....think he may have made a special effort for Mille's birthday :P :)
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Adriana » 23 Dec 2007, 08:42

I can now safely report that my sources were correct - Sotiris has a freezer full of 2.5 kilogram bags of frozen sprouts! :oops:

That could keep a hamster going for a very long time... :twisted:
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Next

Return to Symi Chat