The News is Out!

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

The News is Out!

Postby Adriana » 23 Dec 2007, 08:42

I can now safely report that my sources were correct - Sotiris has a freezer full of 2.5 kilogram bags of frozen sprouts! :oops:

That could keep a hamster going for a very long time... :twisted:
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby maziemoo » 23 Dec 2007, 13:29

Which is good news for the webcam :) except that hamsters usually only live for about 2 years :o so we need to have a back up plan....mmmm... :?: wonder if a hamster would survive the journey in may case next April :?: !
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Kyriako » 26 Dec 2007, 01:15

Of all the things to talk about on BBC Breakfast News the other day was how to cook the perfect brussel sprout. You're only supposed to cook them for 4 minutes, otherwise you don't benefit from their anti-cancer properties when they're being digested. So now you know! Personally, I like mine slightly over-done; but Adriana's method sounds fantastic. Must try that one!
Kyriako
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 26 Dec 2007, 07:57

Where is Poitini on Symi, Dikissi?

@.5 kilo bags of sprouts...streuth!! :P Thats enough to feed a football team. :twisted: Imagine a large family taking a nap in a common room after Chrissy lunch dominated by sprouts. :o
We only tend to have the mini cabbage type ones, 4 or 5 on each plate for the sprout fanciers. :idea:
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Richard » 26 Dec 2007, 11:17

Anything cooked in Syllogos is fine with me, especially his goat stifado. The thought of it has now instilled in me an urge to go and buy some goat. A local butcher here supplies half a leg and half a shoulder cut into suitably sized pieces and this should be just about enough for me. Pity he's closed today.

Try him, Kyriako, he's in Stapleton Road.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Kyriako » 26 Dec 2007, 11:39

Excellent! I will. I'm in Ashton Gate, but that's the perfect excuse for a trip to the north side of town, so thanks for the tip! I had the goat stifado at Syllogos on the first day of my holiday on Simi. On wondering why no cutlery had been brought out, they told me to eat it with my fingers. It tasted better that way. I understand now why the goats in Yialos always run away . . they taste too good!
Kyriako
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Kon » 26 Dec 2007, 12:16

"I understand now why the goats in Yialos always run away . . they taste too good!"
Perhaps we should think of a Symi Spider recipe maybe they will run away too :D :D
hhmm lets see deep fried then dipped in chocolate :geek: :geek:
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Kyriako » 26 Dec 2007, 22:15

Spiders dipped in chocolate?? might take a while to catch on . . but did have deep-fried cricket once . . quite nutty and tender, but not sure of any nutritional benefit[]!
Kyriako
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Dikissi » 27 Dec 2007, 01:20

goats in yialo? oh my when can I see that day. Got a call from a cousin in Rodos says she won't even go to symi for new years. Must be those chocolate covered spiders ?
I once had a godchild named Sotires Tsavaris lived in Australia and now is probably in Symi. If anyone sees him tell him his NoNa says to say Hey. :P
Dikissi
Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby maziemoo » 27 Dec 2007, 03:12

My friend Frances is married to a Tsavaris on the island, I will try to remember to ask her if she is in any way related to a Sotires Tsavaris
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 27 Dec 2007, 07:46

Tsavaris is a very common name on Kalymnos.
If your kin is in Oz, Dikissa, I'll bet pounds to peanuts you'd never get him out, even with a crowbar. :)
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Kyriako » 27 Dec 2007, 13:04

I recall someone in the Meltemi bar called Sotiris, but have no idea if it is the person you are alluding to. I'll be on the island in June, so will be in a position to find out (if that helps?).
Kyriako
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby MacDuff » 30 Dec 2007, 06:40

:) The true flavour of brussel sprouts is`only released following exposure to frost :) In England the bulk of the crop was traditionally grown in Bedfordshire in the`low level land around Cardington. Because picking was only carried out after frost, the pickers hands became red and`swollen :evil: Sprouts grown in warmer climes never acquire the better flavour :idea: Despite our northern location, the sprouts we buy in the stores are fairly tasteless being grown in Oregnever asted on and California :? So I sympathise with those who have never tasted sprouts that have been exposed to frost. :cry: On the other hand, frozen sprouts are pretty awful :P
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby Kyriako » 30 Dec 2007, 10:53

8-) I never knew that!
The trouble is, with global warning at this rate we'll need to persuade the Icelandics to grow them! :D
Kyriako
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

The News is Out!

Postby maziemoo » 30 Dec 2007, 11:50

Being a Lincolnshire lassie derived of farming stock, I was aware of the perceived impact of frost on the taste of sprouts :) ! I think you may well be right kyriako :D .
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Previous

Return to Symi Chat