My heart Aches ofr Symi!

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

My heart Aches ofr Symi!

Postby captbalou » 27 Nov 2007, 15:22

I should never have found this forum! as I read your chats my heart aches to be in Symi At my age I don't think that will ever happen now! But I love reading about it! Ahh the photos There must be a lot of memory of Symi from my ancestors locked in my brain cells. You all sound like a real fun and interesting people! If you ever come to Miami look me up! God Loves You, George
captbalou
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

My heart Aches ofr Symi!

Postby Tove » 27 Nov 2007, 17:50

Well you must just go for it. We are a lot of people your age that are coming to Symi every year, even if we all are feeling much younger. Symi makes you young again so just try to get there. We come from all over the world, many from Australia and USA, so give it a try :)
Tove
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

My heart Aches ofr Symi!

Postby captbalou » 27 Nov 2007, 18:08

Thank you for the encouragement When one lives in such a beautiful City like Miami, it is difficult to Justify visiting other places when there is so much to do here and all of my large extended family is here. But if I keep reading this forum I will be there for sure. I am a world class free diver now retired because of health reasons but my family is worried that once I see the ocean around Symi I will want to join my ancestors in diving there. My grand father started diving for sponges at 12 years old around Symi they kept their boat at the Pethi. I have a lot of relatives in Australia that I have not met. I wanted to explore the great Barrier reef but never got around to it. Life just goes by too fast! I spent much of my youth diving the Caribbean. George
captbalou
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

My heart Aches ofr Symi!

Postby Dikissi » 27 Nov 2007, 18:10

I'm afraid I won't be able to see Symi for many many years. What's the point of telling people when they don't care. Until it becomes my turn again and maybe this time when I drop my glasses off the balcony at Panormitis a much nicer person with a better katgoyi will bring them. Dikissi loves you.
Dikissi
Visitor

My heart Aches ofr Symi!

Postby maziemoo » 27 Nov 2007, 19:46

captbalou and Dikissi....my heart goes out to both of you.

captbalou, if you never do anything else, please try and treat yourself to a trip to Symi.

I'm not lucky enough to have the family links that you have with the island, but I can tell you that it still feels like home to me :mrgreen: ! I'm sure Miami is beautiful but Symi is beautiful in a different way....the people and their hospitality, the scenery, the quirky little things of every day life. Every day I look at the webcam and wish I was there :mrgreen: .

Dikissi, what can I say....you sound so down....same advice to you really, try and get yourself over there if you can. I've always found everyone so friendly and welcoming....it's the hardest thing in the world to get on the ferry to come back to the UK.

I find the island good for the heart and the soul....it's my escape and sanctuary.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

My heart Aches ofr Symi!

Postby Kojak » 27 Nov 2007, 22:18

Like Mazie, I wasn't born on Symi but it seems to be the same thing that brings so many of us back year after year. It's the only place I have ever returned to on holiday. There is something very special about the place!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

My heart Aches ofr Symi!

Postby Richard » 27 Nov 2007, 23:12

I have been to many places in Greece but we always return to Symi. It's still that view of the Harbour as the ferry turns the corner and everyone on the boat goes silent. Never fails. I hope I am spared to visit many more times.

"Quirky", Mazie? Damned right.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

My heart Aches ofr Symi!

Postby captbalou » 27 Nov 2007, 23:35

Hi Dikisi, Nora, I Haven't seen you in many years! are you still living in Campbell or did you move to TP. I am George, Spiros' son from Coitsville rd. My Mom Dikea is in the hospital, I will be visiting her the first week in Dec in Yo.O. she is sufferring from old age. I hope she survives this winter in Ohio, I tried for many years to move her here but she just has too many Symian friends Campbell. My father helped your dad bring your family over from Symi and we were there for you when your family first came to the states. Your dad cut my hair many times. Were you born in symi or Ohio. I think I remeber you when you were a toddler. Very pretty little girl! Ah that was so many years ago. I have been living in Miami for the past 40 years.
Do you know how to make Spinoalo from fresh pinna shells?
captbalou
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

My heart Aches ofr Symi!

Postby Kon » 28 Nov 2007, 02:24

I guess after every trip leaving Symi is the hardest thing. :cry:
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

My heart Aches ofr Symi!

Postby Adriana » 28 Nov 2007, 07:43

We stopped off in Panormitis to put ashore a seasick crew member in 1992 and we are still here.... :D

As one of my Symiot friends says, we are a miracle of Panormitis!
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

My heart Aches ofr Symi!

Postby Joanie » 28 Nov 2007, 13:53

Oh Captbalou you must try a trip to Symi,and look your long lost relatives up.Your never too old,i'm getting on and Kojak is REALLY getting on,so you'll be in good company if you come when Kojaks there.(Only joking Kojak)i know i'm nearly as old as you.You too Dekissi,come on over to Symi,nice drink of Ouzo down the harbour. :geek: :geek: :( :(
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

My heart Aches ofr Symi!

Postby captbalou » 28 Nov 2007, 15:35

Adriana are you Greek? Where from?
Joanie don't get me wrong yes, I am old in years but young and strong like bull physically. but I do have a few health issues that I forget about and try do things I used to do when I was younger. Like running up long stairs when i should take my time or trying to free dive to spear a fish at 30 meters with out a tank. I don't look at mirrors so i forget how old I am. In my minds eye I am still 21 and built like Hercules.
captbalou
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

My heart Aches ofr Symi!

Postby Kojak » 28 Nov 2007, 22:20

Getting on? what a cheek, Joanie! I've been told that I look like a man half my age! Touble is... he was on his last legs! :P
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

My heart Aches ofr Symi!

Postby Joanie » 28 Nov 2007, 23:28

This is the problem captbalou your mind still thinks your 25-30 years of age but your body doesnt,you'll never think your old,this is the way i think,but its the best way.I never thought i could make this trip to Australia its such a long flight from the UK but i did and here i am in the sun and loving it,alas, i have only one week to go before i fly home and i'm feeling rather sad about that,so i'll just have to have a ball this next week.But i have my other daughter and grandchildren in UK to look forward to seeing.
Oh! Kojak "last legs" ehm you know what your talking about dontcha err, drainpipe, jetty Ha Ha! only kidding you can tke it.Its going to be in the 30's today i'll have to have lots of COLD drinks :( :( xxx
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

My heart Aches ofr Symi!

Postby maziemoo » 29 Nov 2007, 19:40

The first time I visited Samos, I encountered a 76 year old Greek man who danced 8-) 8-) like a 26 year old....I certainly met my match on the dancing front 8-) 8-) !

He didn't look anything like 76, didn't behave like 76 (ok girls so that's a man thing ;) ) and he really knew how to have a good time 8-) 8-) ....he was actually a rather handsome man for all his years ;) .
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Symi Chat