9/11

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

9/11

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 06 Sep 2006, 16:36

With the anniversary approaching I'll bet we all remember where we were. I was on Symi. I was walking back from Nimborio and got to Takis's shop. He ran out "Yeff' Yeff!!(the Greeks cannot pronounce Geoff). Neo yorke bombardo". He dragged me into the shop and I could tell from the radio announcer that something big was up. I hot footed it to Pats bar and the TV showed the horror that was happening.
Nobody could beleive it, I initially thought it was a trailer for some sci flick movie. How wrong I was!!
As the afternoon/evening wore on I was amazed at the attitude of many of the locals...lets just leave it at that. :?:
Unfortunately, the echoes of that terrible day still circle the world.
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

9/11

Postby Trailer » 06 Sep 2006, 18:55

Hi there Oz. Yes we all probably remember where we were on that day. I was at work and word went round the office like wild fire. We had several American offices, so it seemed very close to home. We rushed down to the staff restaurant to watch it on TV. Just unbelievable. As you say like a movie. There's little to say really about it that's not been said so many times before. But it's good that the people who were murdered on that terrible day, and their families, are remembered.
Trailer
Visitor

9/11

Postby SamanthaF » 06 Sep 2006, 22:47

I was just getting back into the car after taking the dog for a walk. A news flash came on the radio saying that a plane had crashed into the twin towers - I said to Scott straight away "That's terrorism".

I work in NYC a lot and have done for over 6 years. In the July of 01 they were there, on my return in Oct 01 they were gone.
SamanthaF
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

9/11

Postby Anthony » 06 Sep 2006, 23:02

I was at home packing to go to Greece (Crete, I think, rather than Symi) on the following day. My brother rang me from his office and said "Have you got the radio or TV on?"

I remember slso Athens airport the following afternoon. I'd got my English newspaper, bought in London, but in Athens of course all their limited stock of English newspapers had long since sold out. I finished reading my paper and then saw a young American couple staring wide-eyed at the TV screen. I offered them my newspaper (probably the first - and last? - time they'd read the London FT but it had good coverage), and they were extremely grateful.
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

9/11

Postby Allan » 06 Sep 2006, 23:02

I guess my recollection of the day is similar to yours OG.

We were in Ormos Marathacampos on Samos where the taverna owner greeted us with "Big trouble. America. Plane...". My abiding memory is of us watching the events unfold on the taverna TV while trying to comfort a distraught American guy who had friends and family in New York.

It certainly put a downer on our holiday but I can't begin to imagine how the poor American bloke felt.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

9/11

Postby Kyriako » 07 Sep 2006, 00:25

I was at work in Bristol that day - news broke at about 2pm; a colleague's partner rang in to say that a plane had hit the World Trade Centre. I just assumed that it was a light aircraft that had hit it by accident - but when I logged on to The Guardian website, the full horror unfolded. A friend of mine had been watching it at home and saw the 2nd plane hit live on News24 - he was quite shaken up. Walking home that evening, a crowd had gathered outside the Walkabout Bar where 2 TV monitors in the window were showing the day's events. That was certainly the day that the World changed for ever.
Kyriako
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

9/11

Postby Sapphire » 07 Sep 2006, 18:43

I was building a train track for my DS who was mad about Thomas the Tank Engine at the time and flicked on TV to catch the end of Neighbours. Initially I assumed that I was on the wrong channel and then, like Dom, imagined it was just a light aircraft accident. It was only when the second plane struck that I realised that it was something much bigger and sinister that was going on. I had a friend who was on business in New York at the time and spent a frantic afternoon trying to track him down. Fortunately he was at another site and not in the WTC that morning. Makes you realise how your life hangs by a thread. Since then I have had an aversion to flying (ditto underground trains since 7/7). Just about manage it to go to Halki though!

It doesn't seem like 5 years since it happened ...

Sapphy x
Sapphire
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

9/11

Postby Mille » 07 Sep 2006, 19:04

Listened to the car radio with darling hubby and his family returning from a funereal (hubby's paternal grandmother) when the news came on.
I still remember that day SO clearly. Around the time granny was put in the ground was around the time the first plane hit one of the towers. The silence, the grey skies, the crying.
Five years? Cannot believe it!
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

9/11

Postby D and E » 07 Sep 2006, 21:31

Especially to Ozzie Geoff

We should all consider who the real war mongers are in this world - and I'll just leave it at that as well!
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

9/11

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 08 Sep 2006, 09:44

Hi D and E, welcome to the chat page I hope you have a ton of fun and :( learn how wonderful Symi is. :geek:

I tend to think that ALL world leaders are war mongers. Its in a perilous state at the moment, isn't it? :(
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

9/11

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 08 Sep 2006, 09:52

Dunno how that thumbs down sign got on the top line...and I haven't even had a drink!!
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Return to Symi Chat