Reads on Symi

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Reads on Symi

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 22 Jun 2006, 09:48

Reading seems the favourite pastime on GLA. Whats your book of choice, mines anything so long as its printed and in English, I'd read a phone book at a pinch :oops: .
I used to travel with a stack of books until I twigged to the great swap liberies there are. Pat and Ali have a great selection. So now, i just have one book for the trip and swap that around as needed and then grab one for the homeward journey. :(
I remember being on St. Nicks one day and on looking around everybody was reading except for the few kids and those snoozing or swimming. It was just so quiet!!
I recall the day as I broke the silence with huge belly laughs. I was reading "The Throwback" by Tom Sharpe, it would have to be the funniest book I have ever read. I gave my friend, Pam, the section to read on what Lockhart did to the spinster Musgrove sisters. She completely lost it. :geek:
I must dig it out and have another read. Any other fans of Sharpe. I think I read somewhere that he has a newy out. ;)
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Reads on Symi

Postby Symi Visitor Office » 22 Jun 2006, 11:23

Can't beat a good whodunnit, but that said, I'll read anything in English, German or Afrikaans. Those of us who live here all year round squirrel away books in the summer to tide us over in the winter.

:) Adriana
Symi Visitor Office
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Reads on Symi

Postby Sandra » 22 Jun 2006, 14:13

I love Tom Sharpe's books - OG. The Throwback was really funny, I liked the whole set of mini plots Lockhart used to get the folk to leave their houses! Blott on the Landscape was another favourite, he must have a really twisted mind to think up some of his more bizarre plots.
Sandra
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Reads on Symi

Postby Allan » 22 Jun 2006, 14:38

OG

It's years since I read a Tom Sharpe book but I've just spent two weeks on Symi listening to my partner snigger her way through two of them :)

She still has one more to read so there are more giggles in store for September!

Allan (Al)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Reads on Symi

Postby Adriana » 22 Jun 2006, 14:48

Tom Sharpe Trivia/spot of name dropping :oops:

He worked as a photographer in South Africa in the 1950s/early 60s and was a friend of my in-laws. Somewhere in our tea chests of stuff back in SA we have some rather striking black and white photographs he took of Julia in Pietermaritzburg.

Anyone out there read anything by Harald Strachan? He was another SA rebel of that generation!
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Reads on Symi

Postby lindy » 22 Jun 2006, 14:48

"riotous assembly" is a favourite of mine. not very "pc" but still hilarious. may indulge again this holiday - at least i won't be the only one getting odd looks
lindy
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Reads on Symi

Postby Oor Willie » 23 Jun 2006, 00:54

I hadn't read any Tom Sharpe for years but borrowed Wilt on High from Pat's last week and almost choked myself on the beach at Nos trying not to roar with laughter and disturb all the people trying to sleep off their hangovers. :D

Oor Willie
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Reads on Symi

Postby Trailer » 23 Jun 2006, 12:31

I read all the time on holiday, usually stretched out on a sunbed in Nimborio. I'll read anything really as long as it holds my attention. But do others suffer as I do from a moany other half, who constantly complains that I've always 'got my nose stuck in a book' and he's no one to talk to! After all the years of training, he still hasn't cottoned on to the fact that his sole purpose is to get the drinks, grab a good table for lunch, order the food and pay for it, feed his share to the cats, and Oh, apply suncream to the nether regions. Men eh?!

BTW - the Laskarina office also has a really good selection of books to borrow/swop.
Trailer
Visitor

Reads on Symi

Postby JuliaB » 25 Jun 2006, 21:38

I like to imagine local characters in the story and so have derived great pleasure from reading "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" whilst in Greece as well as Rosie Thomas' "The Potter's House".

Julia
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Reads on Symi

Postby D and E » 27 Jun 2006, 07:14

I'm afraid that we cannot resist the buying of the "holiday books" as part of the departures ritual at whatever airport we are leaving from, followed by the obligatory bottle of something cold and fizzy to celebrate the annual vivit to Symi that we live for. These books are then of course deposited in Pat and Ali's - if anyone gets the chance read Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides about Greek emigrants going to America - not belly laughs like Tom Sharpe but an excellent read.

:)
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Reads on Symi

Postby Mille » 06 Jul 2006, 15:55

Reading Riotous Assembly, here in my 30 degree hot garden.
It's not very pc, as Lindy points out, but it sure makes me giggle
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Reads on Symi

Postby brian » 06 Jul 2006, 18:56

Anything by Jonathan Kellerman, excellent
brian
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Reads on Symi

Postby pat » 06 Jul 2006, 19:16

go to symi to read your all mad
pat
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Reads on Symi

Postby Allan » 06 Jul 2006, 21:49

[quote="brian"]

Anything by Jonathan Kellerman, excellent
[/quote] Brian, I've never heard of Jonathan Kellerman. What sort of books are they?
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Reads on Symi

Postby Trailer » 07 Jul 2006, 00:48

This guy
Trailer
Visitor

Reads on Symi

Postby Adriana » 07 Jul 2006, 07:37

[quote="Trailer"]

This guy

[/quote]
I particularly enjoyed one of his early ones, 'The Butcher's Theatre' - it was set in Jerusalem and as we were living there at the time it made it particularly realistic and creepy...! :)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Reads on Symi

Postby Trailer » 07 Jul 2006, 13:34

When did you live in Jerusalem Adriana? I lived in Israel for some time. Fascinating place.
Trailer
Visitor

Reads on Symi

Postby brian » 07 Jul 2006, 19:32

read that one myself can see how being in jerusalem would make it even better.
brian
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Reads on Symi

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 08 Jul 2006, 04:35

I was reading The Source whilst travelling through the middle east which added so much to the fabric of the story.
When were you two girls in Israel?
I was there in 1986/87. I think I've seen every inch of Israel, from Hebron in the north to Eliat in the south and all parts in between.
I left Israel by bus from Jerusalem to Cairo, it left about 8am and arrived in Cairo some 12 hours later. It traversed Sinia, stopping at various sites, includung St. Catherines.
I arrived in Israel from Jordan and did the traditional thing of walking thru the gates of the old city of Jerusalem. The bus went thru and waited for us on the other side.
This was around mid December and Jordan was where I saw my first ever snow....people don't beleive me!!
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Reads on Symi

Postby Adriana » 12 Jul 2006, 13:58

We sailed from South Africa to Israel in 1989 and lived there until the end of 1991. Watching the SCUDS come down during the Gulf War was pretty interesting...!

We were actually living on board our yacht in Jaffa port but as Nicholas was at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem 3 days a week we spent time commuting to and fro. The Butcher's Theatre is set around the Mount Scopus campus.

I read the Source and The Seven Pillars of Wisdom as we thrashed our way up the Red Sea! Something to do when I wasn't on watch, mending sails or baking bread 8-)

I think it must be an age thing because so many of our generation stooged around Israel and the Middle East in the 70s and 80s and it was virtually obligatory to do work experience either on a kibbutz or as an au pair while back-packing. Now all the youngsters seem to do is take package holidays to Faliraki to drink sinister cocktails out of gold-fish bowls...

Does this mean I am subsiding into crabby middle-age? ;)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Next

Return to Symi Chat