Steps

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Steps

Postby Sheila and Andrew » 28 Jun 2006, 20:30

I don't think this question has ever been really properly answered. How many steps from the bottom of the Kali Strata to the top? I did try counting on one visit, but each time got a separate answer. This could have been due to a number of factors, such as the fact that there are less steps going down than going up. Also there are some flights of steps set at right angles where there are a different number of steps depending on which side you choose. So, how many steps, and by which exact route? Going up or going down? Sober or full of retsina? Early morning or late at night? And do donkeys actually climb the steps twice because they have four legs? Any answers? :)
Sheila and Andrew

Steps

Postby Richard » 28 Jun 2006, 23:49

There are supposedly 365 steps to Giorgio's front door. The current record for the old Friday night race is still 4 minutes, 7 seconds. Will you beat it this year?
The donkeys climb them on the diagonal. It is easier ... I've tried it. Should the Mayor affix little brass plates every 100 steps for navigational purposes? Very useful after the second carafe of retsina.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Steps

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 29 Jun 2006, 09:29

365 of the b*ggers!! I reckon there's a million of 'em, going up that is, for some reason or other coming down is a piece of cake. maybe because I am feeling no pain.
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Steps

Postby Adriana » 29 Jun 2006, 12:59

They multiply in the heat, particularly if carrying shopping, at which point they can get up to 600 or more, depending on the degree to which the spectacles droop.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Steps

Postby Glen » 29 Jun 2006, 13:59

It depends on two things.

where you start - Which is the real Kalastrata ? The steps that lead up from the back of Bella Napoli or the steps that lead up from the square where the Trata is. Both of which meet at the Laundry

and where you consider the Kalistrata to finish, at the street between To Klima and Georgios, at Georgios, at the Rainbow, at Yanni's Cafenion or after the last three steps after that where it turns into "road" outside Sylogos

Personally i think the latter in both examples
Glen
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Steps

Postby SueO » 29 Jun 2006, 22:50

I'm with you on the technicalities Glen but since when was Lefteris' kafenion Yanni's? I know Yannis is "on duty" a lot more now but please don't tell me Lefteris has handed over completely.
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Steps

Postby Allan » 29 Jun 2006, 23:03

Lefteris officialy retired several years ago SueO and it's Yianni's place now, assisted by Lefteris Jr.

Lefteris Sr. still does the morning shift though :|
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Steps

Postby SueO » 29 Jun 2006, 23:24

Well, yes, I know Lefteris is "officialy" retired but it IS still called "Lefteris Kafenion" I hope! He was still very much in evidence last year and we are looking forward to seeing him again in September. We can remember Yannis helping at the Kafenion, probably about the same age as young Lefteris is now and it's great to have seen the family grow up and carry on the business.
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Steps

Postby Kon » 30 Jun 2006, 02:53

That will be my morning excercise when i am in Symi ,running up those steps ,great start to a day . 8-)

ETHO KAI TORA
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Symi Chat