Here We Go Again

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Here We Go Again

Postby D and E » 04 Aug 2019, 21:18

We have been monitoring flights (mainly Easyjet and Jet2), Airbnb, Bookings.com and of course trusty old Olympic.

For a while it was a close run thing but then over the last 10 days Olympic came in with their PAYDAY70 offer, which expires tomorrow, and that gave us a £140 discount against a very decent price. That plus day flights out and back made it a no-brainer and so the button was pushed about an hour ago. We also paid the small supplement to change the time of our flight from 08:00 to 07:00 and with getting the luggage included in the early flight rather than having that as an add-on for the later one, this gave us a further saving. Another money saving tip for those using Olympic is to sign up to TopCashback.co.uk and go in through their portal and there we gained another £30 off.

The hardest decision was where to stay.

Irini in Yialos was within £10 of Anastasia in Chorio, which was within £10 of Taxiarchis - decisions, decisions.

Having stayed up in June we decided to stay down and so we will be in Irini. So although we will of course make it up a few times the focus will be on the port which mean Elpida's for the nightly ouzo & retsina and more visits to Tholos and those amazing prawns.

We have stayed in Irini twice before and know all about those stairs :o but looking back on our posts all those years ago we did love the views of the harbour and it won't do the Fitbits any harm :D Our Confirmation Email confirms that we have Room 1 which we recall as having the best views.

So we will be heading to gorgeous Symi for the last two weeks of the season going from Birmingham on 9th October at 07:00 flying with TUI and will be on Symi the same day - we may even have time to visit Socratous Gardens which we missed in June.

We get a train directly from Aberystwyth and with the return flight landing at 16:25, for the first time in a long time will be able to get home the same day.

65 days and counting :D
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Re: Here We Go Again

Postby Lisa B » 04 Aug 2019, 23:04

Hi D&E, I was just wondering today where everyone had gone from here. Glad you've got a visit booked in, it'll be a good read after we return. We're on 3 week countdown :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 05 Aug 2019, 07:19

Lisa B wrote:Hi D&E, I was just wondering today where everyone had gone from here. Glad you've got a visit booked in, it'll be a good read after we return. We're on 3 week countdown :D

Only 3 weeks :D
Excellent.
Hope you find time to do a few posts to let us know how things are on the rock.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 05 Aug 2019, 09:44

Brilliant to hear that you have booked to go back again - and that we've all got another blog to look forward to :D

I was looking at the PAYDAY70 offers and wondering if I could sneak in a cheeky week in October after I get back from Crete but the prices were cheaper for August and too expensive for me for October by the time I'd added luggage. Glad you got a bargain price and thanks for the tip about the cashback site I will sign up now :).

I have fond memories of my stay in room 1 at the Irini with those stunning harbour views but don't think I could cope with all those stairs again - I really struggled getting my suitcase up and down, especially when it rained and the stairs were so slippy as I was leaving.

I'm already looking forward to reading about your delicious meals and hopefully we might have a few more blogs to look forward to before then ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby rockbottom » 05 Aug 2019, 11:05

Shame we'll miss you as we leave for home on 25th September. We're also staying in irini but don't have a room number. Have stayed there many times before but not for a few years, so next year we've plumped for the Taxiarchis. Hope you blog again as it will be nice to hear about symi in October!
rockbottom
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby katy » 05 Aug 2019, 13:32

6 weeks and counting for our return to Symi. I was going to book the ferry today but am still a bit nervous about our Thomas Cook flights, although all seems to be quiet on their difficulties at the moment.
I wish I did Twitter or Facebook as it has been so quiet on the forum, I miss the info and chat on all things Symi related!
Enjoy your visits everyone, be it 'up' or 'down'.
katy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby D and E » 05 Aug 2019, 17:40

katy wrote:6 weeks and counting for our return to Symi. I was going to book the ferry today but am still a bit nervous about our Thomas Cook flights, although all seems to be quiet on their difficulties at the moment.
I wish I did Twitter or Facebook as it has been so quiet on the forum, I miss the info and chat on all things Symi related!
Enjoy your visits everyone, be it 'up' or 'down'.

Suppose things change Katy and the coming of social media certainly moved a lot of the chatter from some of the legendary Symi Visitors in that direction. This Forum has proven itself so valuable to so many of us in years gone by and we hope still does to some extent - long live the Symi Forum :!:
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 05 Aug 2019, 17:49

rockbottom wrote:Shame we'll miss you as we leave for home on 25th September. We're also staying in irini but don't have a room number. Have stayed there many times before but not for a few years, so next year we've plumped for the Taxiarchis. Hope you blog again as it will be nice to hear about symi in October!

It is a pity that we just miss each other this time.
We took a bit of a gamble when booking - we saw that there was an option to “change room” and we gambled on the small supplement providing us with Room 1 which we recall had the larger front facing balcony. When the Confirmation Email quoted Room 1 we were well chuffed but as many of us know a lot can happen between a booking and arriving :o
It would be good to hear how things are during your visit if you get the chance for the odd post.
Have a super September visit.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 05 Aug 2019, 18:03

Gemma1 wrote:Brilliant to hear that you have booked to go back again - and that we've all got another blog to look forward to :D

I was looking at the PAYDAY70 offers and wondering if I could sneak in a cheeky week in October after I get back from Crete but the prices were cheaper for August and too expensive for me for October by the time I'd added luggage. Glad you got a bargain price and thanks for the tip about the cashback site I will sign up now :).

I have fond memories of my stay in room 1 at the Irini with those stunning harbour views but don't think I could cope with all those stairs again - I really struggled getting my suitcase up and down, especially when it rained and the stairs were so slippy as I was leaving.

I'm already looking forward to reading about your delicious meals and hopefully we might have a few more blogs to look forward to before then ;)

We like the late season as it extends the summer for us and watching the island wind down has a charm all of its own.
The recent change to the Olympic Site with regard to some flights including luggage and other flights where this adds cost does make us scrutinise the options in greater detail. So this time by paying the supplement to change our flights from 08:00 to 07:00 there was a net saving of around £80 as the early flight was priced with luggage included whilst the later flight would have seen us having to add that in. It used to be so much simpler but then we do know regular visitors who are able to leave a case on Symi and thus travel with just hand baggage so they benefit from this change in the booking system.
But rest assured Gemma we will be blogging each day and from a location where we last stayed in pre-blog days :D
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 06 Aug 2019, 08:32

Katy, in addition to Facebook (where there are several Symi groups that are updated regularly) there is also the Symi Dream blog where Toby/James posts an update most weekdays - that would help with your Symi fix ;) http://www.symidream.com. I admit I don't come on here every day like I used to when we had the full Symi Visitor website and I just HAD to check the webcam every morning - I do miss my 'live' view of Symi over breakfast on a morning but am very grateful that this page still exists.

D&E I do find some of the baggage charges on Olympic very high as they almost wiped out the £70 payday discount. I did look at the alternative Manchester TUI flight but that was a lot more expensive - perhaps I need to learn to travel light with hand luggage only ;). We've booked to go to Cyprus next June but I was wondering about a sneaky week on Symi in early May as I've always said I'd love to visit Symi in the Spring. Alas current prices are still high, but I will keep checking prices and hopefully will get back to my favourite island some time next year.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 06 Aug 2019, 18:34

So glad we will get our Symi fix soon in wise words at least. :)

We are monitoring prices for mid/late September to see if we can manage another cheeky week but prices are mad, nearly as much as 2 weeks in June and no chance of getting to Symi on the same day. We have almost given up and are looking at other places even beyond Greece!

Next year is not looking great either....starting to get priced out!

:(
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby katy » 06 Aug 2019, 18:55

Thanks Gemma, yes I do avidly read Symi Dream and also Adriana's lovely blog, it's good to chat though! I obviously need to jump into the 21st century :)
katy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 07 Aug 2019, 08:30

silverfox wrote:So glad we will get our Symi fix soon in wise words at least. :)

We are monitoring prices for mid/late September to see if we can manage another cheeky week but prices are mad, nearly as much as 2 weeks in June and no chance of getting to Symi on the same day. We have almost given up and are looking at other places even beyond Greece!

I know what you mean silverfox. I really want to get back next year but can have a cheeky week in Crete from my local airport for £377 at the end of April returning early May which includes transfers and luggage. Pricing up Symi for the following week with Olympic is £538 from Manchester and £655 from LBA which is too expensive for a week so early in the season. Looked at doing it independently and although I can get reasonably priced flights from LBA with Jet2 by the time you add on transfers, ferries and accommodation it's no cheaper. Prices for September next year are also very high at the moment.

Glad you're managing to get a Symi fix from Adriana and Symi Dream Katy :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby JuliaB » 07 Aug 2019, 22:32

No need to hide as we won't be stalking you this year, D&E! Have decided on an Autumn week in Crete to visit some of the classical sites and to walk the Imbros Gorge - while we're still fit enough. Will be strange not to have a Symi fix but we'll be back.

Have great time!
M&J
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 09 Aug 2019, 08:35

silverfox wrote:So glad we will get our Symi fix soon in wise words at least. :)

We will do our best to convey the magic of our October visit 8-)

But we understand what you are saying about prices - we monitor regularly in an attempt to see if there is any logical pattern to the ever changing prices. We always believe that if we can get 14 days with day flights for under £1k for both of us that is good and we came in under that for October. Often booking one or two weeks before sees a price drop but not so today. September seems to be quite well booked up as it would appear that only 7 days are available in the cheaper properties and whilst one is quoting around £450 there is luggage on top, partially offset by the £50pp discount voucher, but then flight times for that price mean an overnight in Rhodes which for a 7 day visit is a bit limiting.
It would be great if you did find a “cheeky” week - good luck.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 09 Aug 2019, 08:39

JuliaB wrote:No need to hide as we won't be stalking you this year, D&E! Have decided on an Autumn week in Crete to visit some of the classical sites and to walk the Imbros Gorge - while we're still fit enough. Will be strange not to have a Symi fix but we'll be back.

Have great time!
M&J

That made us smile.
You two will be walking the Imbros Gorge for a long time yet ;)
Will miss bumping into you and comparing notes as we often do.
Have fun in Crete and hope to see you in 2020 maybe.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 10 Aug 2019, 09:32

Even better Olympic prices today for the last two weeks of the season just in case anyone is still looking and can do those dates.
We could have waited but then again one never knows.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby silverfox » 10 Aug 2019, 12:59

D and E wrote:Even better Olympic prices today for the last two weeks of the season just in case anyone is still looking and can do those dates.

You told everybody! :)

Now their site has gone down!

:D
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 10 Aug 2019, 13:39

Back up! :)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 11 Aug 2019, 08:50

D and E wrote:Even better Olympic prices today for the last two weeks of the season just in case anyone is still looking and can do those dates.

Best I can find is £536.61 for a week in October from Manchester or £609.46 from LBA. Doubt I'll get to Symi this season now (I'm being greedy anyway as go to Crete for a week on 17 September) but will keep checking prices for next year.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Next

Return to Symi Chat