Here We Go Again

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Re: Here We Go Again

Postby silverfox » 13 Aug 2019, 17:50

@ D&E

We maybe on the same transfer from the airport, if not I'll be the one with a Mythos on the boat! :)

Be strange with 2 blogs but we aim to drink and eat less so we'll have nothing to talk of!

:)

@Gemma

Our money will be tight this trip too so expect pictures of dry bread!

:D
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 13 Aug 2019, 18:43

We'll have been home a couple of weeks when you all arrive. Be good to have something to read through the gloom of leaving Symi :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 13 Aug 2019, 19:42

Lisa B wrote:We'll have been home a couple of weeks when you all arrive. Be good to have something to read through the gloom of leaving Symi :D

A few pictures and updates Lisa?

Would love it! :)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 14 Aug 2019, 08:04

silverfox wrote:@ D&E

We maybe on the same transfer from the airport, if not I'll be the one with a Mythos on the boat! :)

Be strange with 2 blogs but we aim to drink and eat less so we'll have nothing to talk of!

:)

@Gemma

Our money will be tight this trip too so expect pictures of dry bread!

:D

The dry bread comment made me chuckle and makes a gyros sound like a gastronomic delight - though it's not far off IMHO ;)

Lisa, I'm sure we'd all love a trip report from you too - hope you have a great trip, though it's difficult not to when you're going to Symi :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 14 Aug 2019, 12:39

2 weeks today we'll be there!!!! I'm not sure I could provide as much entertainment as all you guys do but I will certainly try and pop something on here during the holiday. I will try and update myself on some of your tips of what to eat where, although I reckon we've eaten most places as my waistline will show.... bakery tips much appreciated though, any Pedi pointers? Its great sharing such an amazing place with you all :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 14 Aug 2019, 18:38

LisaB - Pedi Pointers (love it).

We stayed in Pedi for one of our three weeks last September and loved it.
In terms of bakeries the supermarket opposite Katsaras Taverna gets a delivery of bread every morning by around 09:00 and has a great variety.
The supermarket where the Pedi Road joins the jetty has great pies freshly baked every day.
The beach bar of Katsaras Taverna is a perfect place during the day for a beer or in the evening for a pre-dinner drink. It is also worth trying their spinach pie as a lunchtime snack - start with one between two as we recall a generous portion.
The Taverna itself has an extensive menu and whilst a wee bit pricier than some other places it’s definitely a case of location, location, location. The very traditionally made Beef Stiffado and the King Prawn Saganaki are memorable.
Walk to the far end of Pedi and you come to Apostolis (Tolis) where we always find a lot of locals as the menu and the cooking is very traditional and great value for money. We had the best Mousaka ever there.
Pedi is our plan for one of our 2020 visits all being well.
Have fun and keep posting.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 14 Aug 2019, 21:27

Thank you, that's just the Pedi info we needed. Any other bakery tips in the village or harbour? Have any of you tried the Maria boat trip? :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 18 Aug 2019, 10:52

Lisa B wrote:Thank you, that's just the Pedi info we needed. Any other bakery tips in the village or harbour? Have any of you tried the Maria boat trip? :D

We haven’t been on Lakis’s Maria boat trip yet but we did see it when it came into Tolis bay for a swim stop - the only boat trip that we know to go there presumably because it is a much smaller boat than the Poseidon which we always try and do the Round The Island trip on.

There are two bakeries that we use when in Chorio - the one just beyond Lefteris where we get the daily bread and he does pies; and the one just beyond Sotiris supermarket - it does lovely cakes.

In Yialos there is Patisserie Nicolas just opposite The International restaurant who also does wonderful cakes, ice cream, baclava and other waist enhancing delights. There is the bakery just over the bridge where we get the daily bread and sometimes croissants when staying down and it does very well in the mornings with the locals buying their pies. Just off the square there is the Panormitis bakery and their tiramisu is amazing.

And at the very bottom of the Kali Strata to your left as you descend there is Zoë’s sister’s bakery and it is very good as well.

So plenty to choose from - enjoy.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Previous

Return to Symi Chat