Manos taverna

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Manos taverna

Postby Sam Hosking » 07 Aug 2008, 11:45

I know i haven't been on here for a while but I just had to respond to this topic!! Why is it that people who visit the island for a week or so a year or only once feel that they know best and can dictate to others or slander the locals without whom there would be no holiday destination and friendly Greek welcome that they supposedly love.

Manos may be brasher and a little more in your face than many of the other taverna operators, but as someone who has known him for many years as well as many other taverna owners on the island, he is really no different except maybe he works with more heart and soul in his businesses that some others. I know how he started, as a waiter and how he and mina worked bloody hard building up their businesses often in the face of adverse comments by people jealous of his success or envious of his drive.
The fish Manos buys is no different than any other taverna on Symi, are you really that naive to believe that everything is caught locally. Symi is a market economy as much as anywhere else and in order to compete fish is bought as and where available. All Sole (Glossa) on the island is frozen. 90% of the calamari in the early season ie before end Aug/Sept is frozen. Fish has seasons as much as any other produce.

Symi has changed so much over the last 20 years but if people would only try to see beyond the fact that some businesses don't quite fit their ideal of quaint Greek island and see the real Symi they will see that all the real qualities remain, it's the tourists expectations that have driven the changes.

OK Rant over, to all those who have enjoyed Symi (Warts and all)as it should be, I wish you the best and hope like me you continue to hold it dear. :geek:
Sam Hosking
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Manos taverna

Postby maziemoo » 07 Aug 2008, 12:31

I think you made some valid points here Sam.

Me, I :mrgreen: the place "warts and all" after all it's not like there isn't more than a fair share of 'warts' wherever any of us may live.

Symi by comparison to my everyday life and surroundings, feels like heaven to me :mrgreen: .
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Manos taverna

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 07 Aug 2008, 16:06

Well said, Sam. Anyone thinking they are getting "fresh" fish needs their heads read. Its probably frozen and from Vietnam or China..yep, true, folks, it could well be.
"Symi Herbs" and "Symi Honey"..give us a break. Most of us have been to a circus and heard the old patter.
I have personally seen honey being transferred from a 4/5 gallon drum with cryllic writing into symi honey jars.
this was late at night with hurrican lamp...honest.
Sorry to dispel the myth.... ;)
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Manos taverna

Postby Allan » 07 Aug 2008, 21:08

15.06? That must be the early hours of the morning where you are Geoff.

Have you been out on the gin and cynic again? :P
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Manos taverna

Postby Colette » 07 Aug 2008, 21:23

Bravo Sam,well said. What next - the sponge debate?Let's live and let live :)
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Manos taverna

Postby Trailer » 07 Aug 2008, 21:23

Get off your high horse Sam. Everyone's entitled to their say and opinion. Just like you. We've never eaten there because it always looks and sounds so horribly frantic and noisy, with far too many people, all crushed together. Much prefer a quieter, more sedate atmosphere to enjoy our meals and get tiddly.
Trailer
Visitor

Manos taverna

Postby Oor Willie » 07 Aug 2008, 22:26

Colette you mean the sponges don't all come from the Agean ? I'm shocked !!! I may never talk to Dinos or Theo again
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Manos taverna

Postby Adriana » 20 Aug 2008, 07:04

Manos must be doing something right - Jeremy Irons ate there last night! :D :P :) :!:
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Manos taverna

Postby Freckle Face » 21 Aug 2008, 22:11

I can't believe that beautiful boy was there on my last night and he didn't buy me a Symi bacardi.

I'm gutted.

Imagine how that would have gone down with chums at home. "Oh an uneventful holiday. Sat with Jeremy Irons for tea, but nothing much else."

Apparently a really famous chap stayed at Iapetos recently but I'd never heard of him so I nodded politely and was so pleased for them.

I wondered if there was anyone worth writing home about in those gorgeous boats.

Apart from me as a stowaway of course. :D
Freckle Face
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Previous

Return to Noticeboard