Britons abroad

Chat about anything else

Britons abroad

Postby Richard » 03 Aug 2007, 12:11

You may have seen the article in today's Grauniad about danger to Britons abroad. Greece comes fifth in the list with a mention of alcohol combined with scooter hire. Fortunately none of us ever touches either so we should not be affected. Biting policemen in the leg is not recommended.

Greece tops the list with the number of Britons admitted to hospital. Take care out there.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Britons abroad

Postby Kojak » 03 Aug 2007, 12:18

Ekathimerini also runs with that story. I have the dubious honour of being included in the statistics. And before anyone asks, while I may have nibbled the odd female ear, I did NOT bite a policeman on the leg nor did I fall off a scooter whilst inebriated. Perhaps if I'd been the worse for Ouzo/Retsina/Mythos I wouldn't have done so much damage when I fell down the storm drain! :o
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Britons abroad

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 04 Aug 2007, 05:39

God looks after drunks and little children. :)
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Britons abroad

Postby maziemoo » 04 Aug 2007, 11:38

I'm okay then :geek: :twisted: :)
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Britons abroad

Postby Kojak » 04 Aug 2007, 12:12

Richard asked me last night if I had one of those blue beads to protect against the evil eye. I was given one years ago but it obviously doesn't work on Zakynthos! Maybe it's only effective on the island where you got it!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Britons abroad

Postby Joanie » 04 Aug 2007, 20:25

Mine was from Turkey i dont think it's got much protection,mind you there again i dont go falling down storm drains in Zakynthos,or falling off jetty's in Symi :D :D :D
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Britons abroad

Postby maziemoo » 04 Aug 2007, 20:43

Seems there's a theme here Norman, a little too much :geek: maybe :) !
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Britons abroad

Postby Kojak » 04 Aug 2007, 23:53

I'm just a victim of circumstance! 3 cars written off in two years - and none of them my fault. I changed the colour each time but people just kept driving into me!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Britons abroad

Postby Richard » 04 Aug 2007, 23:56

Hell. Who are your insurers? I must change my company and sell any shares. Please let us know the colour of your present car so that we can avoid it.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Britons abroad

Postby Kojak » 05 Aug 2007, 01:26

It's the good old AA - they are very understanding! I'm not tempting fate by mentioning the colour of my car..
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Britons abroad

Postby maziemoo » 06 Aug 2007, 11:14

When my son had an accident in December, the 4th that wasn't his fault :o , he declared that he would have to change his driving style. My advice was that perhaps he should have done it before :) .

I tend to take a view that whilst I know my own driving habits (good and bad), everyone else on the road is unpredictable therefore always expect the unexpected :twisted: Whilst I'm not a slow driver I usually tend to drive at a speed that allows me more opportunity to counteract a potential problem. However that tactic didn't help me when I hit a post at the hospital on a dark rainy night in February :oops: ...still can't believe I did it :o !

If I had a pound for every near shave I'd had due to some idiot who failed to abide by the highway code or was driving like a complete a***, I'd be rolling in money :) .

Think red's supposed to be the best colour for visibility Kojak. I avoid silver because it blends in with the surroundings to much.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Britons abroad

Postby Kojak » 06 Aug 2007, 11:24

Mazie, the second car was a bright red Rover. Perhaps the taxi driver who forgot about a stop sign and drove into me broadside on was colour blind! :o
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Britons abroad

Postby maziemoo » 06 Aug 2007, 11:40

See what I mean Kojak, everyone else is unpredictable :) :) but then again I think taxi drivers have a tendency to drive as they please anyway :twisted: taking unpredictable to a whole new level!

Not sure what the answer is my friend, the roads can be pretty scary places to be these days :o .
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Britons abroad

Postby Jerry » 06 Aug 2007, 14:13

I thought most (but not quite all) Taxi drivers were predictable, They do what they want when they want at the expence of all other road users and drive cars without indicators.
Jerry
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Britons abroad

Postby maziemoo » 06 Aug 2007, 14:15

Just a spin on words Jerry but I agree with you totally :) !
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Britons abroad

Postby Colette » 06 Aug 2007, 19:49

Kojak,

where was the storm drain in Zakynthos?I'm going there on sunday on a suprise visit to Marcia who's working there this summer and I wouldn't like to repeat your experience.Mind you a suppose falling down a storm drain is the least that can happen on week with M. Will give her your love.
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Britons abroad

Postby Kojak » 06 Aug 2007, 20:03

It's in Laganas, Colette, just off the main road. If you happen to be walking along that road be very careful, there's a stretch of fairly new pavement which is flanked by bushes on one side - only they aren't bushes, they're the tops of trees! :o . Fotunately I managed to avoid that one - or I might be still lying there!. Give Marcia a big sloppy one from me! Did she get burnt off Pelion?
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Britons abroad

Postby Colette » 07 Aug 2007, 16:45

Kojak,
actually when she left Pelion last year it was rain and landslides that were the problem!Now with the fires as well it's a real shame because it's a fab place. After 10 years with Kosmar Marcia is now working for Simpson Travel and is in Vassilikos in the south of Zakynthos, sounds really nice, quieter than the usual resorts. The trip next week is a suprise for her as she doesn't know about it,2 of us are going ( the other one is in Symi at this very moment, arrives back tomorrow from her first trip -the ones I asked about the clock tower for months ago and they are as smitten with our lovely island as the rest of us)So a week of madness is on the cards. Of course she'll be back in Symi for the winter in October.
We'll raise a glass for you
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Britons abroad

Postby Kojak » 07 Aug 2007, 21:54

Just one glass? Vassilikos is nice, unlike Laganas and Kalamaki which are definitely Club Reps territory. If you stray near there make sure you've got your karaoke/quiz night/bingo shoes on! It was a culture shock after Symi and that was before I saw the hospital! :o :o :o
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Britons abroad

Postby John H » 08 Aug 2007, 08:08

[quote="maziemoo"]

When my son had an accident in December, the 4th that wasn't his fault :o , he declared that he would have to change his driving style. My advice was that perhaps he should have done it before :) .

[/quote]

I remember hearing of an old man who said he'd been driving for over 40 years and never once had an accident. He'd seen loads of them in his rear view mirror though!
John H
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Next

Return to Off Topic