Georgioupolis, Crete

Chat about anything else

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby plee » 25 Oct 2014, 00:45

Thanks Val for recommendations. I have been to Tilos, didn't really warm to it but Naxos and the other Islands mentioned sound interesting. Has anyone been to Ithica? If so did you like it?
plee
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby plee » 25 Oct 2014, 00:56

I had a nice conversation with a man who I think runs the stationary type shop in the harbour saying he and his family go to Astypalia on their holidays. I saw pics on his laptop and it looked nice. Its near Amorgos in the eastern Agean.
plee
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby Gemma1 » 25 Oct 2014, 10:13

I've looked at Astypalea before, along with Anafi, but they're not the easiest islands to get to if you've only got 2 weeks to play with.

I must revisit Tilos some time as it was October when I went and a bit too late in the season I think.

Val is right about Naxos being a lovely island with some pretty inland villages and a decent bus service. We'll be spending a few days there in June before we go to Donoussa and Koufinissi. It does have an airport but you'd have to fly from Athens or fly into either Santorini or Mykonos and get a ferry from there. Last time we went via Mykonos we had to change at Paros, though there is a direct ferry on certain days. There are daily connections from Santorini to Naxos. Like Val I love Amorgos, we have been there twice and it connects well with Naxos and the Little Cyclades.

I've never been to Ithica though I have been to Fourni which was lovely - though again its a few years ago and there wasn't enough there for me to stay for more than a few days. Lipsi is another island that we loved, though again there isn't a lot there but it's a really peaceful place to stay for a few days. Folegandros was stunning and not that difficult to get to and you could combine it with a few days in Sikinos which we visited for 3 nights last year. On my first island hopping trip I went to Serifos and Sifnos which I loved and would love to go back to - especially Sifnos. That was in 2000 so again they might have changed. Syros is another island that I'd like to visit, Olympic go there via Mykonos if you prefer a package holiday.

There are just so many islands you can't do them justice if you only have 2 weeks!
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby snoopy2 » 25 Oct 2014, 17:13

8-) Thanks Gemma, Val and Fina - will get cracking on research next week. Appreciate the tips. ;)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby plee » 26 Oct 2014, 01:50

Thanks for the tips everyone - maybe I will take 3 weeks!
plee
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby Fina » 26 Oct 2014, 09:33

Ithaca was OK, not the most beautiful Greek island I have ever been to. Very hot good 10deg up o Kefalonia.
Fina
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby Gemma1 » 26 Oct 2014, 11:05

Sorry I was getting confused as when I mentioned Ithaca and Fourni I was thinking of Ikaria not Ithaca. Went to Ithaca on a day trip from Kefalonia but it was back in 1997 and I can't remember an awful lot about it.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby STEVE » 26 Oct 2014, 17:27

We've been to many of the Dodecanese Islands, Symi, obviously, more time than we can count but Astypalea is a firm favourite as is Leros and Nissyros. We didn't, really, take to Tilos but we liked Patmos and, for a few days, Kastellorizo is worth the effort if only to say you've been there! Ferries to Astypalea are difficult because they arrive, mostly, in the middle of the night but the Olympic inter-Island flight from Rhodes or wherever isn't expensive and works fine. We stayed in Livadhia at the better than excellent Studios Manganas who will collect you from the small airport. On Leros, try Tony's Beach in Vromolithos (we went out one Saturday and came back to our apartment in the afternoon to find the Kitchen had been completely re-fitted - with no mess left whatsoever) and on Nissyros the superb Hotel Porfyris in Mandhraki.

Next June were planning on a 3/4 week trip up and down the Dodecanese using the Spanos and the Olympic inter island flights and are looking at re-visiting some of the above together with Kalymnos, Karpathos and, of course, Symi.

Steve
STEVE
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby Gemma1 » 27 Oct 2014, 08:33

It would be lovely to have 3/4 weeks to go island hopping Steve, you really can't do the islands justice in 2 weeks though it's the longest I can have off work at once. Sounds like a great trip, it would be lovely if you could post a trip report on here :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby STEVE » 27 Oct 2014, 11:52

How we've done it in the past Gemma is to fly to Rhodes and then go to 'another' Island for a week or so before returning to Symi for the balance of our two week holiday. We love Symi but, eventually, took the view that if we went there every time for our two weeks we wouldn't get to go anywhere else. We've done it this way since about 2007. Before that we'd pretty much always had our full holiday on Symi since the late 1990's. Both of us should be retired by next March so 2015 is the 'Big Holiday' we've been saving up for and promising ourselves for some years!

Steve
STEVE
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby snoopy2 » 27 Oct 2014, 18:35

:) Has anyone else come across Mike Barratt's Travel Guides? I was following up on Naxos on google and happened across his site - smashing for Greekophiles!!!! 8-)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby Gemma1 » 28 Oct 2014, 08:19

That's sort of what I did when I went to Tilos Steve. I booked 2 weeks on Symi and went to Tilos for 3 nights halfway through the holiday. Because I travel to Symi solo it works out a lot cheaper to go on a package with Olympic than travelling independently. I usually go to Symi for my one week 'solo' holiday in September and go island hopping with my partner in June for 2 weeks. He gets less holiday than me so I always have one holiday a year on my own and Symi is ideal for that :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby Val » 28 Oct 2014, 10:29

Somehow for me the idea of island hopping by airline is just a step too far. Call me old fashioned but I just love the whole coming and going by boat. The arriving and departing is a massive part of the whole idea of travelling, and I think I'd feel a teeny bit cheated if it was any other way. Having said that it was lovely to fly so close to Tilos this September to pick out the walks we'd done and all the hidden coves and churches, and I always carry my map of Greece to identify as many islands as possible on the flight down to Rhodes or wherever. Don't get me wrong Steve, I love flying but sailing is just too big a part of island hopping to miss out on.
Val
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby SueL » 03 Nov 2014, 11:44

Did a holiday to Ikaria in the Laskarina days stayed at Armenistis came into Ag. Kirikos journey across the island on a coach was intereseting we went over the central spine on small roads.
2 lovely beaches at Armenistis we hired a car and drove around it was very quite and traditional, got hijacked by an elderly lady who when we stopped - she was standing in the middle of the road jumped in the car and told us where she wanted to go - her family apologised when when we took her home. The politics and recent history were interesting the communists had been exiled there after the 2nd world war. The village in the hills was nice stayed open late lots of farming enjoyed the holiday but we've not been back
SueL
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Georgioupolis, Crete

Postby mr wotsin » 11 Nov 2014, 22:02

Went to Nissyros about twelve years ago on a day trip, on Symi-1, if my memory serves me[Sunday School trip] organised by Francis in Symi. We chugged along at no great pace. Everywhere was painted dark blue, decorated with the little black and white stones, as imported to Symi. Drove into the volcano, did not smell too good. Had a lovely day out with all the regular September people.
mr wotsin
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Previous

Return to Off Topic