August Report

Chat about anything else

August Report

Postby Symi Animal Welfare » 09 Aug 2010, 15:09

With the continuing high temperatures and humidity, we are all 'suffering' on Symi. Please, please, please, don't forget that our animal friends can get over-heated and so very thirsty in these conditions. If you have a shady spot on your terrace or on the road outside your house, there will probably be at least one cat trying to keep as cool as possible! Not quite so hungry in this weather, a drink of fresh water from a clean container will always be most welcome (placed somewhere safe, away from any passing cars or bikes though please!)

This is the story from one of our volunteers, about a happy Symi rescue-animal family, I too am feeling very hot and lazy so have simply duplicated the original email!

Sparky the black and white kitten is now about 13 weeks old, but only looks like 6 weeks. A weakling kitten, rejected by his wild mum and his 3 siblings, they live nearby to our home in a parking area where there are rubbish bins. His brothers and sisters are all strong and healthy but when I found Sparky he was dirty, very thin and covered in seeds and burrs. He was sleeping alone, away from his feline family.

Early one morning, after noticing that he was snuffly and weazy, I decided to take him home for some TLC - a little grooming with an old soft toothbrush, cotton wool and warm water.... a feed of diluted NouNou milk and a lot of kind words, he seemed to be feeling somewhat better. Later that day he ate some cooked, mashed fish and was introduced to Kamberis the big pup - a year old Pyrenean cross, who is very gentle. Kamberi licked his new little friend, all over, and how the kitten enjoyed it too!

[img]http://www.symi.eu.com/images/saw_aug_1.jpg[/img]

In just 4 weeks, Sparky has grown so much stronger. He has such a good appetite that he often eats from the dog's bowl, fish however, is still his favourite food. He sometimes plays with his siblings in the garden, but Mum ignores him even now. He stays very close to Kamberi at all times. Like all babies, he is very affectionate and just wants to be loved.

[img]http://www.symi.eu.com/images/saw_aug_2.jpg[/img]

So, the moral of this story is that it isn't always necessary to take a kitten away from its family completely, but there are times when, with combined human and animal help, a small kitten's life can be saved!

I will post up the family 'album' if and when it arrives!

Melanie x
Symi Animal Welfare
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Return to Off Topic