SNOW A CHANCE TO BOAST

Chat about anything else

SNOW A CHANCE TO BOAST

Postby MacDuff » 08 Dec 2010, 06:31

Tell me Snoops, what "animal" adorns the weathervane on the parish kirk in Kirriemuir :?: Secondly, as one goes from the square opposite Vissochi's ice cream shop through the passage way to the kirk, there is a doorway with a heart and initials each side on the lintel facing you. Date and initials :?:

O.K. The "animal" is a dragon.
The initials on each side of the heart, are I F and B F, history does not record whether B F was the husband or the wife. The date (of the marriage) shown, is 1697.
Isn't trivia wonderful. Bet you thought that I was going to say that the animal was a GINGER turkey. They however are a sub species living in the Pedi valley :(
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

SNOW A CHANCE TO BOAST

Postby snoopy2 » 08 Dec 2010, 11:06

:? MacDuff i am ashamed to say i would have been unable to help you anyway. My connection with Kirriemuir is about 8 miles outside the village at Askrivie House so only ever pass through the lower part of the village. I did for years however work with a Vissochi of Kirrimuir stock. It is indeed true that Vissochi ice cream is the finest in the world - nae disputes - just the finest full stop. As the temperature today is minus 5 i would be able to keep the said ice cream in my outbuilding in the knowledge it wouldn't melt as the air temperature is even lower than the ground temperature today!! :)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

SNOW A CHANCE TO BOAST

Postby snoopy2 » 08 Dec 2010, 11:25

[quote="MacDuff"]

Tell me Snoops, what "animal" adorns the weathervane on the parish kirk in Kirriemuir :?: Secondly, as one goes from the square opposite Vissochi's ice cream shop through the passage way to the kirk, there is a doorway with a heart and initials each side on the lintel facing you. Date and initials :?:
:) You have got me intrigued MacDuff - have found mention of a Findley family - Ian and Bella - Maybe struck gold?? Still researching why the weather vane is a dragon - no don't tell me let me try and fine out. :?:

O.K. The "animal" is a dragon.
The initials on each side of the heart, are I F and B F, history does not record whether B F was the husband or the wife. The date (of the marriage) shown, is 1697.
Isn't trivia wonderful. Bet you thought that I was going to say that the animal was a GINGER turkey. They however are a sub species living in the Pedi valley :(
[/quote]
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

SNOW A CHANCE TO BOAST

Postby Kojak » 08 Dec 2010, 12:43

I know a song about a famous ball held in Kirriemuir but I'm far too well brought up to repeat it here. :oops:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

SNOW A CHANCE TO BOAST

Postby snoopy2 » 08 Dec 2010, 15:04

[quote="Kojak"]

I know a song about a famous ball held in Kirriemuir but I'm far too well brought up to repeat it here. :oops:
[/quote]
:twisted: I too know that song and ALL the verses!! What is going to happen when my son gets married to his Kirrimuir last doesn't bear thinking about!! :twisted:
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

SNOW A CHANCE TO BOAST

Postby Kojak » 08 Dec 2010, 18:04

Snoopy - let's just hope the Minister is broadminded... :D
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

SNOW A CHANCE TO BOAST

Postby snoopy2 » 08 Dec 2010, 19:20

:o Or better still hope he doesn't accept and invitation to the reception where indubitably there will at some point be resounding choruses of The village ++++++++ she was there.............. and the rest you know!! :o
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

SNOW A CHANCE TO BOAST

Postby Kojak » 09 Dec 2010, 01:12

I remember the Vicar's daughter... but that's another story ;)
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

SNOW A CHANCE TO BOAST

Postby MacDuff » 09 Dec 2010, 01:18

Way, way way back, I recall the University (Aberdeen)Rugby team, when on tour in London and after playing London Scottish at Richmond, singing 52 verses of 'The Ball' in the pub (The Tulip Tree), where we adjourned after already having imbibed a reasonable amount of beer at the bar in the clubhouse. For the benefit of Kojak, I have to say that I do not recall a verse about the Minister, but do recall one about his daughter :twisted:

Well Snoops, I used to supply the milk to Vissochi for his ice cream.

Finally, am I correct in my memory that Lord (Big George) Mackie of Benshie - DSO, DFC and Bar, lives at Askrivie House :?:
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

SNOW A CHANCE TO BOAST

Postby MacDuff » 09 Dec 2010, 01:31

Hey! To return to the topic of origin, I just heard on the news, that the city of London, Ontario has just received a dump of 1.4 metres of snow and another 20 cm is forecast. I have to say that that is a figure worth boasting about :idea:

The Mayor has apparently said that he is not requesting that a State of Emergency be declared - that enables them to call in the military. Apparently the cause for this fairly localised condition is that London lies in the prevailing wind bearing the mist from Lake Huron, it then freezes and falls as snow 8-)
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

SNOW A CHANCE TO BOAST

Postby snoopy2 » 09 Dec 2010, 10:53

:D Well well - if you MacDuff Kojak don't know the verse about the village..... he was there then all i can say i am open to offers to send you both in a private e mail the (in the words of young Steptoe) 'dirtiest' verse of the whole song!!! MacDuff you may well - and i am sure you are - right on the former inhabitant of Askrivie but it is now lock stock and barrel owned by my son's girlfriends parents and their name aint Mackie.
So you contributed to the excellent flavour of the ice cream by supplying the milk - a most important item in the process. I like reading your tit bits of info. :)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

SNOW A CHANCE TO BOAST

Postby MacDuff » 10 Dec 2010, 01:55

I think Snoops that it was included in the 52!

As for my "Tit bits" there may have been a verse about them as well :twisted:

I just happen to love trivia, my definition being that it is stuff that is very interesting but of no intrinsic value. But, it is a bit of a snowball

All Rugby players and their musical interests owe a great debt to the late Sir Allan Herbert, who wrote the words of so many of the Rugby songs -Eton Boating song et al regarding the sexual pecadillos of the camel, the hippopotumas, the donkey and the hedgehog and indeed anybody else in sight. The last elected Independant Member of Parliament, he represented Oxford and Cambridge Universities. Then the combined political parties decided that it was undemocratic to have some students having two votes and erased the seat. :( So much for their level of resiliance......................................
to an independant humorous voice :o
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

SNOW A CHANCE TO BOAST

Postby MacDuff » 10 Dec 2010, 01:59

Oh! Askrivie House, is that the place lying on the west side of the highway about 7/8 miles north of Forfar? 'Cos that's where Big George lived.
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

SNOW A CHANCE TO BOAST

Postby Kojak » 10 Dec 2010, 14:58

It looks wet on the webcam. The small puddles I noticed earlier have all joined up and there are reports of flooding around the custom house. Looks like winter has arrived on Symi.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

SNOW A CHANCE TO BOAST

Postby peterv » 11 Dec 2010, 10:28

Aropund the harbour it is avoid the puddles. The water in the Harbour is very high. This is not helped by Low pressure, wind from the north etc.

It is cool, but reasonably bright as I write, but is forecast to colder over the rest of the weekend. The woolies have come out!

The clock tower has rope lights reaching down to the path and is very pretty at night. The harbour area has little trees that include small lights and all the main street lamps have rope lights round them that are lit up at night.

Thje Proteus is moored up by the Clock tower.
peterv
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Previous

Return to Off Topic