Traveling to Thassos

Chat about anything else

Traveling to Thassos

Postby andymac » 16 Jul 2010, 13:06

Hi all

Alas, I can't make Symi this year :cry: But, by way of a minor consolation I have to go to Kavala for a week in early October and thought I might take the ferry across to to Thassos for a few days.

Knowing what a discerning lot all Symi Visitors are :) I was wondering if anyone has been there (I haven't) and has got any suggestions of where might be good to go for a relaxing few days - Potos is looking favourite from what I've discovered so far on the web, but all suggestions will be very gratefully recieved!!

I'm extremely envious of all those of who WILL be making it over to Symi this year, I have to say!!

Happy hols,

Andy
andymac
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Traveling to Thassos

Postby John H » 17 Jul 2010, 08:30

We went about 15 years ago before we discovered Symi and enjoyed it. It really depends what you're looking for - Potos wouldn't be my cup of tea but if you're looking for somewhere fairly busy it might suit. You may have already seen this website but if not, it's pretty accurate, particularly the page about the beaches. If you hire a car, there's a circular road round the island coast which you can easily do in a day with stops to see where you fancy spending more time. Paradiso beach was our favourite, but there were no facilities there then, just a beautiful beach.
John H
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Traveling to Thassos

Postby FLO » 17 Jul 2010, 09:28

Hi John - we went last year and stayed at Golden Beach. It was great for us, as it has a wonderful beach with gorgeous mountains behind for a bit of hiking. It was quiet in June but I imagine in October it would be a bit of a ghost town as all package holidays will have ended and it is rather dependent on this. Slightly touristy. I think Thassos town would be your best bet - its a nice relaxed place with beaches either side of it and great access to the regular bus which goes all round the island. Food is great on Thassos and you have a greater variety of tavernas in Thassos Town. Hope this helps
FLO
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Traveling to Thassos

Postby andymac » 17 Jul 2010, 17:14

Thanks John and Flo

Busy is NOT what I want - so I'll take your steer regarding Potos John, and I'll take your advice too Flo and stick with Thassos itself.

Still grateful for any other input if anyone has any!!

A
andymac
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Off Topic