Thomas Cook currency rip off

Chat about anything else

Postby StDavid » 09 Jun 2010, 19:22

Thomas Cook attempted to rip us off this morning when we went to collect pre booked currency.
My other half went into the branch nearest us with a code they provided and they gave us 1.13EU to the �.
But their website said "Thomas Cook 1.1795".
I was not pleased, so we go back to the shop with a print out of their web page and caused a fuss.
They quickly said it was an error and gave us the full 1.1795 EU.
Made quite a difference on the amount we were changing.
I will not be using them again for currency as the rate was clearly still showing on their site.
Thought I would mention it in case they try to pull the same thing with members of Symi Chat.
Good currency comparison site here
:)
StDavid
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Kojak » 09 Jun 2010, 22:36

Thanks for the message St David. Having just returned from Symi I haven't paid much attention to the rates since then. The exchange rate can vary very quickly these days. Every time Spanish or Greek workers go on strike the markets get nervous and the rate can drop quickly. Within minutes of the CEO of Tesco announcing he was retiring NEXT YEAR their shares dropped in price. It's that sort of nervous market nowadays.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby mikegadd » 09 Jun 2010, 23:06

Thanks-very useful link.
mikegadd
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby snoopy2 » 09 Jun 2010, 23:19

Of late i have found Cheque Centre very good on euro rate - better than most but don't go in on a Monday - rate never really set over the weekend and loads of foreeign guys sending money home to wives. I was getting about 2c over any where else even a month ago and they still had the best rate today. No I.D. for under a few hundred and receipt for exchange on anything not spent (What is anyhting not spent?)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Buzzy » 10 Jun 2010, 09:24

I have had this experience myself with Thomas Cook in the past. The web site rate seems to be a myth. Also I can't understand why we can't get a decent rate of exchange on the high street. There are some places that offer rates ridiculously below the most up to date figures. Those online firms are a joke as well. If you are ordering currency now to get the best rates you'd need to have it delivered around Christmas time.
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Andy W » 10 Jun 2010, 15:58

The high street people will hardly ever give you the best possible exchange rate, because they have to cover the overheads of the premises and staff. The UK airport exchange places are even worse if that is possible. Normally the cheapest route is to use a debit card that doesn't charge extra for foreign currency withdrawals within Europe (Nationwide, but there are others) in a cash machine (ATM) when you get to Greece. This way you get the interbank exchange rate, which is better than any of the over-the-counter options. There's a machine in the arrivals area at Rhodes airport - it would give you something to do while waiting for the baggage handlers.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Kojak » 11 Jun 2010, 14:18

Interestingly, the BBC Watchdog TV programme last night echoed what Andy said - airports give the worst exchange. They also said that the Nationwide card was one of the best to use abroad.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby MacDuff » 15 Jun 2010, 00:26

To be succinct: Wanted! Suckers to succumb to successful travel agents, banks and suchlike. If frustrated sweeten up, take sucrose in your tea :P
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Off Topic