INSPIRATION NEEDED!

Chat about anything else

INSPIRATION NEEDED!

Postby sugardens » 24 Feb 2010, 17:05

Wondering if Adriana can come up with some new recipes to get us Brits through the rest of the winter??
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

INSPIRATION NEEDED!

Postby snoopy2 » 25 Feb 2010, 09:14

Try a Scottish winter diet Sugardens of stovies with oatcakes, ham and haddie pie(ham,smoked haddock in cheese sauce topped with mash)black pudding in whiskey sauce,chicken balmoral(chicken breast stuffed with haggis) All winter foods to keep out the cold blasts but unfortuately fattening - hence so many overweight Scots. Eat as we have done in the past when we worked the land and sea so burned calories off!! Great grub though and really comforting when it is cold outside.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

INSPIRATION NEEDED!

Postby Eleanor » 26 Feb 2010, 14:45

yummy yummy made chicken balmoral last week it is a tastey treat
Eleanor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

INSPIRATION NEEDED!

Postby Kojak » 26 Feb 2010, 15:35

Were they wild haggis or farmed ones?
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

INSPIRATION NEEDED!

Postby Eleanor » 26 Feb 2010, 15:51

Kojak,wild of course, caught them with my own fair hand they were running free in the local woods, Prepared them (humanely of course)then cooked and served with a superb whisky sauce. You should visit Rabbies fair land and try catching some yourself
Eleanor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

INSPIRATION NEEDED!

Postby snoopy2 » 26 Feb 2010, 18:25

Eleanor - did you catch the long and short legged haggis or the straight limb haggis and did you get a lot of meat off the legs? I once caught a short and long limbed haggis - you know the ones who use their short and long legs to go round hills sideways - long legs were a bit short on the meat but the short legs were great. Skin makes lovely broth stock!
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

INSPIRATION NEEDED!

Postby Eleanor » 27 Feb 2010, 13:14

Snoopy. I am exhausted chasing all the little blighters, long,short,straight you name it I chased the lot but it was well worth it cos the broth was fab and the exercise burned off the calories from the chicken balmoral,
Eleanor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

INSPIRATION NEEDED!

Postby Kojak » 27 Feb 2010, 14:57

The best haggis I ever had was actually the first one - from a local butcher in Fort William. It was quite light in colour (must be the local vegetation) but was delicious. The long and short legged variety must be the easiest to catch as they run round in circles of course.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Off Topic