New Boats

Chat about anything else

New Boats

Postby Kon » 04 Sep 2009, 08:07

Just read an artical in the Rodiaki that as from November 2009 there will be a new boat from Preus to Rhodes from the Hellenic Sea Ways it will do an exspress run from Pireus ,Patmos Rhodes with the "ARIADNI".Apparently Blue Star ferries are also introducing some new boats for the Dodecanese run.Perhaps this could be a start to getting more boats to islands such as Symi. :)
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Boats

Postby Adriana » 04 Sep 2009, 08:16

Unless they buy smaller boats, Kon, we are unlikely to see Blue Star stop here as the harbour is not wide enough for them to dock safely. :cry:
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Boats

Postby Andy W » 04 Sep 2009, 12:26

Following a bit of horsetrading between the major Greek ferry operators, Hellenic Seaways is now effectively controlled by ANEK Lines, who have the Piraeus-Symi-Rhodes subsidised route at the moment using the Ierapetra L. This summer Blue Star have had an effective monopoly of the non-subsidised Piraeus-Rhodes services after GA Ferries almost collapsed. Looks like ANEK are going to provide a bit of competition using Hellenic Seaways.
As Greece is now to have a general election on October 4, you never know what will happen to the subsidised services and harbour improvements. Symi tends to vote Pasok, the current government is ND, and quite a few people on the island claim that the poor services are the government's punishment for voting the other way. Pasok are ahead in the opinion polls.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

New Boats

Postby sugardens » 04 Sep 2009, 17:22

Thanks AndyW for this bit of Greek politics....will be interesting to see how it all pans out!! :o :o
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

New Boats

Postby Colette » 04 Sep 2009, 19:44

I saw an Anes ferry in Zakinthos town harbour the week before last which reminded me that I saw one last year too. I got a flight of fancy that I could stow away on it and stay in hiding until it eventually arrived in Symi ( we were on our way back to the airport at the time)However, I fought the urge to stop the taxi driver on the basis that I'll probably get there quicker with my flight out from Manchester on 23rd. Looking forward to seeing old pals and meeting new friends from this site. Does anyone know if the newly betrothed Gillian and Bernard will be in Symi later this month? A congratulatary ( is that a word?) drink will definitely be in order if they are :geek:
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

New Boats

Postby Kojak » 04 Sep 2009, 22:20

Hi Colette. I chatted to Gill a few nights ago. She and Bernard are off to Cuba this year and so won't be in Symi. What time is your flight? I leave on 23rd on the Monarch flight at 09.45. We may just have a trip on the Proteus together - with the odd shandy of course.. :geek:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Boats

Postby Kon » 04 Sep 2009, 23:32

[quote="Andy W"]

Following a bit of horsetrading between the major Greek ferry operators, Hellenic Seaways is now effectively controlled by ANEK Lines, who have the Piraeus-Symi-Rhodes subsidised route at the moment using the Ierapetra L. This summer Blue Star have had an effective monopoly of the non-subsidised Piraeus-Rhodes services after GA Ferries almost collapsed. Looks like ANEK are going to provide a bit of competition using Hellenic Seaways.
As Greece is now to have a general election on October 4, you never know what will happen to the subsidised services and harbour improvements. Symi tends to vote Pasok, the current government is ND, and quite a few people on the island claim that the poor services are the government's punishment for voting the other way. Pasok are ahead in the opinion polls.

Andy you hit the nail right on the head ,on the end it wont matter who gets in ,unfortunately Greece has no money left in the bank account. :cry:
[/quote]
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Boats

Postby MacDuff » 05 Sep 2009, 01:06

AndyW, why not get Gordie Boy to intervene with whichever party is elected upon behalf of the UK tourists with their sadly depleted in value pound notes. He could make a strong case as he must be the one person who fully understands why the poundlet achieved its current value.
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

New Boats

Postby Richard » 05 Sep 2009, 11:30

Since the Tilos Sea Star is making more trips from Rhodes to Symi these days, perhaps she can manage to ferry more visitors across.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Boats

Postby Colette » 06 Sep 2009, 22:31

Hi K, I'm on a night flight so will actually arrive on thursday morning, 24th, would have loved to indulge in a few shandies on the ferry but I'm sure we'll make up lost time during the week I'm there :geek: - don't forget to tell Ian that if the only ferry is the evening one not to look for me 'cos I'll be there under my own steam in the morning.Sorry to hear B and G won't be there - do they do ouzo in Cuba? Can't say I blame them after last year's debacle when they were stuck in the Kosmar meltdown. Not long now, can't wait to get back to Symi :D
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

New Boats

Postby Sunshine » 06 Sep 2009, 23:21

... :cry: :cry: ...Wish I was going :cry: :cry: ...never mind - next year?? :?: :?: :) :geek: :geek:
Sunshine
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

New Boats

Postby Kojak » 06 Sep 2009, 23:48

Won't be the same without you and Lyn, Alan. Hope you're both well. Make sure you make it next year!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Boats

Postby Sunshine » 07 Sep 2009, 14:26

...Have a good one Norm (et al)... :) 8-) :geek: :geek:
Sunshine
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

New Boats

Postby peterv » 08 Sep 2009, 19:24

I can see that I will have to get in training for the 24th on :geek: :twisted: :geek:

Only 12 days to go.....
peterv
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

New Boats

Postby Kojak » 08 Sep 2009, 20:46

Be afraid, Peter, be very afraid... :twisted: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Boats

Postby peterv » 09 Sep 2009, 22:06

I am not afraid :geek: Anyway i will have my minders :P :P :P :P to keep an eye on me :?:
peterv
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

New Boats

Postby maziemoo » 10 Sep 2009, 00:54

Sorry to be missing out on sharing a bevvie or two with you at the Rainbow this year Peter....maybe next year ;) .

Hope you have a great holiday :geek: 8-) :?: .
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Boats

Postby Oor Willie » 10 Sep 2009, 02:13

Likewise Peter sorry to miss you hope we may manage to meet next year. Looks like we will be there on our own this time apart from the residents as we are running 3 weeks later than usual, perhaps not an entirely bad thing as our livers may fell the benefit
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to Off Topic