I would just like to say..........

Chat about anything else

Postby maziemoo » 16 Apr 2009, 12:58

I would just like to say that in my humble opinion, the reason for the paranoia with which new visitors to the Noticeboard are unfortunately sometimes viewed, cannot be totally blamed on an opposing website.

There have been incidences here of dubious characters causing a fair degree of mayhem and offence before being invited to move on. Indeed one of those characters then went on to plague the website which has been referred to.

To their credit, they exercised a good deal of patience and only when the insults became completely outrageous did they choose to retaliate and eventually forced that person to leave.

Whilst downright rudeness cannot be condoned or excused, as someone who has posted here most (according to my tally.... and yes I've received comments about that) I've received my fair share of insults but it appears to me to be something which goes with the territory.

I'm not saying it's right, it isn't, but what I am saying is that offence comes in many different guises and even some of those who abhor it, are guilty of it.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 16 Apr 2009, 15:40

I'm possibly guilty as charged, M'am but I can suss a con from a hundred paces. Maybe its my association with the "Racing Game", as you develop a very keen and accurate antenna to both the written and spoken word.
However, regardless, extremely well said, Mazie.
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Postby Anthony » 16 Apr 2009, 23:59

Thanks Mazie, that's very helpful. :) :)
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby MacDuff » 18 Apr 2009, 05:38

'Allo, 'allo, 'allo Mazie. Touche! Yes, you are correct, but one of the difficulties of electronic mail (NO, I didn't say male), is that the advantages of facial expression and body language are missing, so offence can be caused when none is intended. SO, we all have to have a thicker skin. For example, who is going to be offended if I sugggest that those massive geese waddling up past the Symi Visitor offices on the lovely Easter page, look as if they have been forced fed to provide Symi pate. Why wasn't the G.I.N.G.E.R. turkey included in the flock :geek:
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Adriana » 18 Apr 2009, 07:45

Humour is also a difficult one. :? For instance, there has been a trend in British humour in recent years, probably starting with Spitting Image, to publicly insult people and find this funny. :P In other cultures and societies this kind of humour may be inexplicable and found offensive. :cry: What some may see as teasing others may see as rude and insulting. :?

For the record, it took me a while after I left South Africa to work out what the Brits mean half the time :idea: :idea: :idea: , and that was despite being brought up speaking English as my first language and listening to Hancock's Half Hour on the SABC :o , so what hope has an innocent Norwegian or Turk or whatever have of making sense of it all? :evil:

Just because everyone posting on this site is using English as a common language does not mean that they necessarily share the same humour or world perspective so maybe some of those impeccable manners for which the Anglo-Saxon world is also famous should come into play... :)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Tove » 18 Apr 2009, 08:15

Well said Adriana. Sometimes I feel like like if I haven't any humour at all or haven't followed my English lessons good enough :idea: . And sometime I never find out what it is all about. But I think that many of you have a great deal of fun :P . But after all, I sincerely love you all :mrgreen: (most of the time) :?:
Tove
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Kojak » 18 Apr 2009, 13:16

Some years ago we had a firm of American consultants working with us on a large computerisation programme. We were a team of Geordies, from the north east of England and Glaswegians from Scotland. Both with similar ironic humour. The Americans were very "corporate" and just didn't understand our humour at all. They could never tell whether we were joking or being serious. I'm ashamed to say we used it to our advantage! :oops:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Anthony » 19 Apr 2009, 01:55

Reminds me of the two men having a furious argument, in English because though neither of them were native English speakers, English of a sort was the only language they had in common. Eventually one of the men burst out in frustration:

"You think I know damn nothing about this!
I tell you I know damn all !! "
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 19 Apr 2009, 03:09

It was Sam Goldwyn, wasn't it? Only he used a stronger word than "Damn".
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Return to Off Topic