Greek food

Chat about anything else

Greek food

Postby Allan » 09 Feb 2009, 15:26

Lidl, the super-cheap supermarket chain, are running their "Taste of Greece" promotion again from monday 16th February. [url]http://www.lidl.co.uk/"

I bought lots of the yummy dolmades last year and at just �1-19 a tin I'll be stocking up again. The same goes for the cheese parcels.

Not so sure about the Gyros Pizza though. I've nothing against fast food but that's a strange combination of two! :(

The olives looked rather expensive at �4-69 a jar but that's for 1.65Kg, an awful lot of G and Ts!
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Greek food

Postby Kojak » 09 Feb 2009, 18:12

I can't really face dolmades any more after one very kind landlady left a huge plate of dolmades and tzatziki in the fridge as a welcome present. I dutifully ate it all and gave her the plate back with thanks. The next day there was another, and another and another... I had to smuggle them out eventually...
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Greek food

Postby Kon » 09 Feb 2009, 23:44

:D :D :D
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Greek food

Postby MacDuff » 10 Feb 2009, 00:51

The pizza connection is a taste of grease :geek:
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Greek food

Postby Allan » 16 Feb 2009, 21:54

So.... I'm fully re-stocked in the dolmades department. I could spare an odd can or two if you want to see if you've conquered your phobia Kojak.

As well as the stuff on their website Lidl had tins of gigantes and frozen spinach pies amongst other things.

They even had 500ml crown-corked bottles of Retsina. It looks the business - clear bottle, yellow label and cap but no recognisable brand name. It isn't cheap at �3 and I suspect it will taste like turps but I'll risk a bottle or two, purely in the interests of research you understand. ;)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Greek food

Postby maziemoo » 16 Feb 2009, 22:15

:D :D :D Ok,ok, you've convinced me, I think we have a newly opened branch near me, well nearish.

I will have to go looking....need to get my Greek fix long before May :?: ! Actually I will, a friend has decided on a Greek restaurant to celebrate her birthday mid March so really looking forward to that....I do hope the waiters are Greek ;) !
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Greek food

Postby Kojak » 17 Feb 2009, 09:50

I'll pass on the dolmades, thankyou Allan. As for retsina, I still have some in the drinks cabinet which should be well matured by now. Somehow it doesn't quite taste the same if you're not drinking it in a taverna. Years ago when some retsina was definitely better than other, Yiannis in the Square had some from Samos which was lovely and smooth. I naturally bought several bottles home with me. Sadly it just didn't cut the mustard back home... :cry:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Greek food

Postby Jan » 17 Feb 2009, 12:28

I see Lidl is offering a '7 star spirit' in what looks uncannily like a Metaxa bottle. Brand name is Anessia - a distillation of bilge-water from the Symi ferry maybe?
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Greek food

Postby Allan » 17 Feb 2009, 15:47

If it's anything like the Tsipouro they were flogging last year it will be fit only for paint stripper!
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Greek food

Postby Kon » 17 Feb 2009, 21:49

Tsiporo, i have a bottle at home which i use to take Road tar spots off my car wheels :D :D
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Greek food

Postby Anthony » 17 Feb 2009, 22:34

[quote="Kojak"]

As for retsina, I still have some in the drinks cabinet which should be well matured by now. Somehow it doesn't quite taste the same if you're not drinking it in a taverna. Years ago when some retsina was definitely better than other, Yiannis in the Square had some from Samos which was lovely and smooth. I naturally bought several bottles home with me. Sadly it just didn't cut the mustard back home... :cry:
[/quote] Sainsbury's sell Kourtaki retsina, which I find goes down quite well on an English hot summer day. I stocked up with one bottle this year, but blinked and found I'd missed the summer. So I still have the bottle and (with luck) will be discovering this year whether or not it improves with age.

If you're after a smooth and soft retsina, try Retsina Boutari - definitely a cut above the usual stuff, but I've never seen it on Symi.
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Greek food

Postby Kojak » 17 Feb 2009, 23:05

I've tried various retsinas back in the UK Anthony and several ouzos too. Anyone on Symi will confirm my (purely social) imbibing of both drinks but I just don't enjoy them over here. Funnily enough I never drink alone at home so it must be the company I keep on Symi which leads me into bad ways.... :twisted:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Greek food

Postby Joanie » 17 Feb 2009, 23:20

I've been told its quite nice the Retsina in Lidl, I'm off to Mums tomorrow and theres a Lidl there so I've got to try it,I only ever see it in Sainsburys and its not very good.Well if you have a couple of glasses first,the rest doesnt seem so bad :geek:
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Greek food

Postby MacDuff » 17 Feb 2009, 23:29

Dumb question? What happens if you use water from the Ouse with your ouzo :twisted: :geek:
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Greek food

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 18 Feb 2009, 01:31

Mazie, betcha pounds to peanuts that the waiters ain't Greek, nor the Guv for that matter...You might be lucky and cop an Aussie waitperson.
Gawd, I'm becoming all PC...
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Greek food

Postby Dave » 18 Feb 2009, 14:24

[quote="MacDuff"]

Dumb question? What happens if you use water from the Ouse with your ouzo :twisted: :geek:
[/quote]
It purifies the Ouse ..... or "ooze" as it's better known around here. But don't mistake the Ouse for the Great Ouse - I believe that it becomes the Great Ooze after a bottle or 12 of ouzo is lobbed in at source !
I once went canoeing down the Ouse - after a miserable attempt at an "eskimo roll" after an upside-downie, any addition of ouzo to the garbage that I ingested would have been a bonus ! :D :geek:
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Greek food

Postby Poppet » 18 Feb 2009, 15:30

Went to my GP surgery today and reading the magazines as you do - looked at a mag called Best (Feb edition) - and on page 50 it says the following title talking about aging, saints and sinners:- Sinner is - Bottling everything up - followed by this paragraph: -

Symi, in Greece, is one of the longest living nations on Earth, with experts linking this to their healthy diets, and they are not afraid to show their feelings either! If they want to laugh or cry, they do, and whatever was stressing them is released. Plus they enjoy whatever makes them happy - relaxed people live longer.!

Now we all know why we love it so much - I want to be relaxed and stress free - I need a Symi fix.. ;)
Poppet
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Greek food

Postby Kojak » 18 Feb 2009, 16:38

I'm all for showing my feelings but shouting "Get out of the bl***y way" to people who block the supermarket aisles while gossiping isn't classed as acceptable. Do others feel this way or am I just an irritable old git when shopping?
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Greek food

Postby Joanie » 18 Feb 2009, 16:48

Yes I'm afraid you must be Norman,I'm always bumping into people I know when I'm in the supermarket,and believe me no matter where you stand or how wide the aisle is we're always in the way. These supermarkets were only made for moving and spending.Pity really I like a good gossip in Tesco's
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Greek food

Postby Poppet » 18 Feb 2009, 17:11

Oh Kojak, one must learn to chill when shopping, I like to have a chat as well Joanie, that is how you find out where things are cheaper in some cases :twisted:

I have been on the phone to one of my business partners today to check if she has that store near her and bless her she does and she now has a long shopping list from me...she is going there tonight for me and she is going to drop it in to me tomorrow when we have a meeting...so my Greek cook book is coming out for a feast this weekend :geek: :) :D .
Poppet
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Next

Return to Off Topic