Go fourth to Symi

Archived trip reports

Go fourth to Symi

Postby silverfox » 15 Jun 2018, 12:51

As some of you may be aware this will be our fourth holiday in a row to this magical island and also that I like to start the blog early as in my mind extends the excitement of the trip and anything that can do that is worth trying.

I usually make a list of things we want to experience each year which usualy fall by the wayside as plans on Symi usually do, so no list!

I'm sure we will mostly do the same as last year so it's so tempting to just copy and paste last years rambles and would any of you lot notice? :)

Some things do change though both before and during the trip and the first one is that we will be slightly less stressed not having to take our dog Blade to the kennels as he sadly passed away last month, the house is so quiet without him.

20180422_153203.jpg

Back to Symi, whilst we are there it's our 36th Wedding anniversary and also liz's birthday and we usually have a nice meal out. The first 2 years we enjoyed the Windmills and last year Mythos Fish Restaurant where Stavros cooked us a great meal. The Windmills has been closed a while and we have now heard Stavros has left for Rhodes so we need to find somewhere else for that night, any suggestions welcome but Tholos might be the one!

Once again we are staying up top at Sevasti Studios and have already emailed Nikos to politely request the same room that we have had each time.

We fly out next Wednesday on the 8am ASL France flight from Manchester so as long as nothing goes wrong we hope to be having a nice meal in Georgios which will soon get us into Symi relaxation mode!

20170621_201035.jpg

Right off to try to find any clothes that fit and see if I have to visit some shops this weekend...not very good at shopping!!!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Re: Go fourth to Symi

Postby Lisa B » 15 Jun 2018, 17:30

Hi, can't wait to read your trip reports, as like you anything that extends our holiday time the better! We feel like we've got a long way to fill before Sept. So sorry to hear your sad news. Hope your shopping trip is a success :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 16 Jun 2018, 07:38

So sorry to hear about Blade. Dogs are fantastic companions and give us so much but just don't stay with us long enough :(

Looking forward to reading your blog. After returning from Kalymnos on Wednesday I'm now on countdown to Symi, whilst trying not to wish the summer away, so it will be lovely to have another Symi fix :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Catmadjane » 16 Jun 2018, 09:37

I'm very jealous - shopping and Symi - sounds like a good time to me!
Catmadjane
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby D and E » 16 Jun 2018, 13:03

Hi Silverfox,

Good choice of name for this year’s blog and a great pic of the late Blade - a beautiful dog indeed.

What is it with these damned trousers that shrink with age - D has exactly the same problem :shock:

D’s sister and her husband are just back after a week at Pedi Beach Hotel (yes - we infected them with Symi) and they went to Haritomeni one evening and said it was very good so you can maybe add that do your deliberations for the Birthday Meal. We haven’t been there for a while but the views are spectacular and it is now on our September “list”.

Looking forward to the next couple of weeks and reading about what you guys get up to.

Safe journey.

D&E
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 16 Jun 2018, 13:07

Gemma1 wrote:So sorry to hear about Blade. Dogs are fantastic companions and give us so much but just don't stay with us long enough :(

Looking forward to reading your blog. After returning from Kalymnos on Wednesday I'm now on countdown to Symi, whilst trying not to wish the summer away, so it will be lovely to have another Symi fix :)

How was Kalymnos Gemma ?
We went there about 25 years ago - stayed at a place called Emporio where there were only two Tavernas who were major rivals at the time. The one you went to first “captured” you and you didn’t dare change :D
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 16 Jun 2018, 13:10

Hi again Gemma - just spotted your Trip Report for Kalymnos :oops:
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 16 Jun 2018, 15:46

So D & E you'd recommend Haritomeni?, I've put it on our list for Sept.
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 16 Jun 2018, 16:28

Thank you all for the kind messages regarding our beloved Blade...it was his time to go as the old guy had gone senile...him not me...or? mmmmm not so sure now! :)

We have been planning to visit Haritomeni each year but have never managed it yet so perhaps this year. There is always the problem of fitting all the places in that you like and trying the new...such a horrible problem! :D

Great report on Kalymnos Gemma. Thanks.

By the way I did manage to buy a couple of pairs of shorts that allow me to breathe easier!

:D
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 17 Jun 2018, 06:48

Lisa B wrote:So D & E you'd recommend Haritomeni?, I've put it on our list for Sept.

Hi Lisa,

Harotomeni isn’t a regular dinner venue for us but we have been there a handful of times over our many visits and our reviews have been mixed. We haven’t been for at least three years but my sister & brother-in-law visited last week and had fish which they said was excellent. They commented very positively on the service and of course the views down to the harbour are a given. So based on their comments we will give It another go in September / October.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 17 Jun 2018, 09:34

That's great thanks, can you walk to it? I think we're staying on that side.
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 17 Jun 2018, 14:21

Lisa B wrote:That's great thanks, can you walk to it? I think we're staying on that side.

It sits almost half way between Chorio and Yialos.

If staying up in Chorio then we head towards the Lazy Steps - so down the Kali Strata from Yannis Rainbow and where the steps take a 90 degree turn to the left go back on yourself and down past the school and turn right where the communal bins are on your right and keep going along that lane and from memory you will see a path heading down to the restaurant which will be below you on your left.

If staying down in Yialos then head up the main road towards where the new ferry port has been built and a short way up there is a turning on your right which takes you to the restaurant. It is walkable, all uphill, but a taxi from the port should only be a few euro. Easier to walk back downhill.

As we say it has been a while since we visited so there may be others on the forum who can provide a more detailed route especially from Chorio.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 17 Jun 2018, 14:55

Thanks for that
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 18 Jun 2018, 16:59

Hi Silverfox, sorry to hear about Blade, great picture. Looking forward to reading your blog once you arrive later this week. Will you be doing any walks this time around as it will be good to see were you venture off to. I have been looking at walking to Toli beach however, not on the road but over the hills from Nimborio then down to Toli. I have found a track using Google maps and it looks possible. I also came across www.foxyislandwalks.com and they describe a similar walk so fingers crossed I can do it. It will be worthwhile as Dapnes Taverna awaits the brave at the other end. The easy way is to get the bus from Symi Tours. I am sure Kim will do this but I am keen to walk. Not long now so have a great holiday.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 18 Jun 2018, 21:25

Pollychops, that link is great thanks. I'd love to do that walk to Toli but feel it may be a step too far! Probably the bus for us. When are you visiting Symi for a report back? :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 19 Jun 2018, 12:21

Hi Lisa B, there are some other good walks on the link which may be easier. I think my route will be a little bit difficult but by the looks of it only the latter part. We are not visiting Symi until the for week in September. We are usually June visitors however, we visited last year from the 30th August and found this time of year a little cooler but the water a little warmer so we have opted to visit then. Cant wait.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 19 Jun 2018, 13:59

We're there second week Sept, we want to use the taxi boats but also try and get some walking in too. I will take a closer look at the walks and see what takes our fancy. On count down.....
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 19 Jun 2018, 16:44

Thanks pollychops. I've fancied the walk to Toli each year but it will depend on the heat and i'm not as fit as last year so I'm not sure on the walks this year. Liz is not fit enough to do the walk so unless we could co-ordinate a bus we could not meet up for lunch.

As usual we will go with the good ideas and everything will change! :)

Anyway last minute jobs to sort and try to get some sleep as we fly in the morning.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Andy W » 19 Jun 2018, 17:53

Be a bit careful with the foxyislandwalks site. The Symi section at least is out of date. To give an example, a lot of the walks from Chorio start from Lefteris Kafenion at the square. Fine so far. Then you're supposed to walk uphill, past the Old Pharmacy, until you reach the takeaway food shop on your left, then turn right up some steps by a supermarket. But the takeaway food shop closed last year, and the supermarket vanished without trace several years ago, it is now a toyshop of sorts. Worse, if the walker doesn't know this, they'll arrive in 100 metres or so at Zoe's Taverna on the left side of the road (who would probably do you a takeaway if you asked nicely) and the American Supermarket on the right, with steps leading up on the right just before the supermarket.....
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 20 Jun 2018, 08:09

Hi Andy, I thought it would be as some of the images on the walks looked old. My walk to Toli will start by walking round to Nimborio then over the hill via the old ruins and the walled garden. I think from there I will be following my nose to the top of the hills then hopefully I will see the small house towards the north and track that leads to Toli. I will be well prepared with water and sun protection just in case.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Next

Return to Trip Reports