Cheeky September Week

Archived trip reports

Re: Cheeky September Week

Postby D and E » 10 Sep 2018, 06:55

Thanks for highlighting “the house” shop Silverfox - that will be getting a visit for the end of season sale.

Enjoy your last couple of days.

We need to start thinking about ferries today - the Sebeco or the Skiadeni via Panormitis. E pointed out that some of the mentions of the Sebeco on social media suggest it may be more of an “adventure” but then we remember the early ANES boats :shock:
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby silverfox » 10 Sep 2018, 19:53

The Sebeco was a bit bumpy for the first half but fine if you prefer the timing.

We do prefer the big ferrys and we have just heard we are back on the Patmos but early (5am at the clock tower) and a few hours on Rhodes at the Anixis again.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 10 Sep 2018, 20:28

Monday

Sometimes in life you need to give yourself a challenge and today I needed to do something that i’ve always wanted to do - so an earlyish start after a shower just after 8.30am I set off with a rucksack calling off at the supermarket before climbing the old steps as we call them. I’m sure these steps have got steeper and I was overtaken by a much younger man and to be honest I didn’t care.

20180910_084844.jpg
The old steps

Onwards through to the top of the village and on to the donkey track that winds it way up to the road. The track is pretty poor in places so if you do attempt take care and wear better shoes than me! I needed to take several rests to get this far and I finally made the road. I was so tired at this point that I did nealry turn back down the road but carried on upwards taking on loads of water as I walked. Finally I made it up and over the last corner and the road finally starts to head down hill and on the next corner I take the small concrete road off to my left and once again start climbing steeply. Its further that I thought (isn’t it always) Finally I reach my goal!

THE VIGLA - the highest point on Symi. (where all the communication masts are as you look up)

After a moment getting my breath and taking in the magnificent views I thought it was probably a good idea to text Liz and let her know where I was in case of any problems. I hadn’t actually told her where I was going as she would have probably tried to stop me.

20180910_102952.jpg
The view from the Vigla

After a short rest and photos I started my long walk back and the views back down are incredible!

20180910_121353.jpg
No Big Yin either!

As I reached Chorio I texted Liz again to meet up for lunch in Olive Tree. She had spent the morning in Pedi. I had fruit with yogurt and honey and Liz went for a BLT and I spent my time trying to re-hydrate!

20180910_130235.jpg
Olive Tree

All was well so we made our way up the few steps (that was painful) to Yiannis Rainbow bar where the strange but yet wonderful time warp happened with great company, laughter and beer taking the minutes away so quickly.

If you are new to Symi please try this bar, it’s simple, no food but you may get a few crisps and just say hello to anyone and they will most likely end up your friends.

It’s good that we are not the last to leave (you know who you are) and we made our way down the Kali Strata, which in it’s self is one of the wonders of the world, and made our way to get a bit of cash out in case we needed on our last day.

20180910_182016.jpg

20180910_181526.jpg
Kali Cats

An early meal at To Spitiko without the delightful Jordana, which felt strange, but the lads did great and we had a wonderful Tzatziki followed by a superb lightly battered Sole and chips…..oh and some white wine! :) News is Jordana is fine but needs a few days rest….we so hope she does!

20180910_185733.jpg
The wonderful Sole

A lovely meal and we had a liesurly walk around to the clock tower stopping off to phone son number 1 along the way.

Catch up with son number 2 before trying to catch up on the blog with Metaxa night caps.

I’m tired.

Fitbit says 11 miles….but they were very steep miles up and down!

Another great day on a very steep rock.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 11 Sep 2018, 07:40

Another great report silver fox :D I haven't 'climbed' the Vigla since 2014 but intend to do it again this year whilst I'm still fit enough ;) . The temperatures should have dropped a bit by the time I arrived so hopefully it won't be too strenuous - and of course I don't have as far to go as you as won't have to climb the Kataraktis first ;) Last time I walked up the Vigla I made the mistake of trying to come back the 'scenic way' past Ag Ioannis and down the hillside. I got hopelessly lost and had to retrace my steps. Luckily some kind soul stopped and took pity on me as I was walking back so I didn't have to walk all the way back to Horio.

Enjoy your last day on Symi :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 12 Sep 2018, 08:29

Tuesday

Our last full day and I thought i'd have a complete rest, so inspired by a post on Symi Dream – http://www.symidream.com/

I set of to Nimborio up over the hill again making sure I had enough water for there and back.

20180911_093957-800x450.jpg

The mission is to see the mosaics, and the wonderful walk of course! I have tried to find these a few years back but never quite managed it, perhaps it’s my total lack of direction...or the beer?

Anyway after another great walk over the top I finally found my way up the old river bed and up to the church.

Well I was warned that it’s not spectacular and they were right but I did make may way up to the catacombs above the church which were very much the same.

20180911_100750-800x450.jpg

Now I’m not trying to dismiss or belittle these important sites but we’ve seen so many spectacular places on many Greek islands over the years!

20180911_095557-800x450.jpg

So after so much excitement I walked back to Yialos along the road with a little cloud to keep me cooler and met Liz who had walked round and sat on a bench a little up the hill from Nos Beach. We sat a while watching the boats coming and going.

It was too early to eat so we walked back to our apartments for me to change into something that was not wet and then had a slow walk back to Odyssia where we had another nice welcome from the waitress who remembered us although we had not eaten there for a long time.

We went for the Corgette Fritters and the biggest Moussaka we’ve ever been served. They were huge and enough to feed four people. We were given our second drinks on the house which was nice!

20180911_120226-800x450.jpg

A slow wander round back into comfy seats for one last time before it was time for Liz to get the bus.

I went for my last walk up the road trying to take in all the views and soak them into my memory enough to last me until we return. Although breezy the heat hit me as I tuned by the Windmills and down into Chorio.

20180911_141340.jpg

Our usual welcome from Yianni with my beer being poured before I even sit down! After another wonderful late afternoon we said our farewells to many people before Allan and Julie took us to Taxiarchis to show us their apartment with great views down into Pedi. It’s certainly put another accomodation on our list to look at in the future.
20180911_190303-800x450.jpg

Down the very quiet Kali Strata and round to Kantirimi near the bridge for Giros Pitta and Ouzo for us both.

20180911_193132.jpg
Giros Pitta

20180911_192359.jpg
Ouzo

We finished the last of the Metaxa back at the apartments before quickly packing for our early start in the morning.

Wednesday

Up and by the clock tower for 5am before being taken round to the new jetty for our fast and steady trip back to Rhodes on the Blue Star Patmos and dropped of at Anixis all before 8am in the morning. A full English Breakfast to keep us going and we await our trip to the airport at 12.30pm.

Would we go for only a week again and stay down? Yes we would but we still prefer the peace up top overall.

Another wonderful week on Symi comes to an end!

20180912_054214.jpg
Blue Star Patmos

I hope all you that are still on the rock and those due to arrive enjoy yourselves as much as we have and have the time to share a little with us all.

Steve & Liz
Last edited by silverfox on 12 Sep 2018, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby orangepeel » 12 Sep 2018, 12:57

Thank You yet again for a wonderful blog . We arrive on Friday, staying with Frank and his lovely family again at the Taxiarchas. I will attempt to do a blog myself this year, can't promise anything , and i'm sure it wont be as entertaining as all the other's. " Keep Um Peeled"
orangepeel
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 12 Sep 2018, 17:44

Thanks Silverfox, enjoyed your blog once again. Be treading in your footsteps from Saturday. Orangepeel, I'll leave the writing up to you and can't wait to see what you get up to. ;)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 12 Sep 2018, 20:28

orangepeel wrote:Thank You yet again for a wonderful blog . We arrive on Friday, staying with Frank and his lovely family again at the Taxiarchas. I will attempt to do a blog myself this year, can't promise anything , and i'm sure it wont be as entertaining as all the other's. " Keep Um Peeled"

Back home :(

Sounds great Orangepeel...looking forward to that already.

Ps The Burger King is now open at Rhodes Airport and there's even a Greek place where you can buy Beef Stifado and even Giros Pitta!

We had neither!

:)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 12 Sep 2018, 20:54

Very much enjoyed your week in paradise - thanks as ever for sharing with your excellent pics throughout.

We are now on countdown. D’s last day at work tomorrow assuming he clears all the final bits & pieces and then E finishes Friday. A family day out on the train to Shrewsbury on Saturday including the annual trip on the river boat. Sunday and we had better start packing as Monday sees Zoë being taken to the cattery. Morning train to Luton Airport on Tuesday - first time flying from Luton. Staying over and then EasyJet flight on Wednesday afternoon and a stop over in the Plaza Rhodes before heading over first thing Thursday.

Can’t promise to put in your miles but will do our best to keep folk amused with our usual daily musings.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 13 Sep 2018, 06:34

I've really enjoyed reading your blog silverfox - thanks for sharing your holiday with us again :D

It's interesting to hear that you can now get a gyros pitta at Rhodes Airport. I've got a late night flight back and plan to eat in Rhodes before leaving for the airport but if I'm feeling peckish I might try a pita to keep me going until I arrive home :)

Looking forward to reading more Symi blogs before I arrive on the rock a week on Sunday :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 13 Sep 2018, 12:55

We'll be landing Sat morning. Thanks to all of you for your blogs, info and chat on our build up to our holiday. Hope to maybe recognise some of you during our stay. Happy to share a glass or two. Thanks :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 13 Sep 2018, 19:24

D and E wrote:
Can’t promise to put in your miles but will do our best to keep folk amused with our usual daily musings.

I walked a total of 54.53 miles so if you are there 3 weeks.....? :P

Looking forward to your musings very much! :) And of course any of the other lucky late season visitors!

Just as a warning to all you late visitors, we got attacked by flies on Rhodes and there seems to be reports on Symi that they have arrived there so you will needs loads of mozzy protection. Our legs are so itchy!

A nice picture of this special place on our way in last week just to get you all in the mood!

20180905_115044.jpg
Symi
Last edited by silverfox on 14 Sep 2018, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 14 Sep 2018, 06:42

Perhaps if D does his bread run from Pedi to his friendly baker in Chorio each morning that will get the steps in :shock:

Thanks for the heads up - sounds like additIonal supplies of heavy duty Jungle Formula needed as D is a magnet for anything that bites :o
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 14 Sep 2018, 07:47

Lisa B wrote:We'll be landing Sat morning. Thanks to all of you for your blogs, info and chat on our build up to our holiday. Hope to maybe recognise some of you during our stay. Happy to share a glass or two. Thanks :)

Safe travels and have a fantastic holiday on Symi Lisa :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 14 Sep 2018, 07:58

Thank you Gemma, that's very kind. Happily buy you a glass of something should we meet :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 15 Sep 2018, 09:04

We're here! Sat at The Olive Tree. Hi to any of you that are on the island right now :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 15 Sep 2018, 10:41

Hi Lisa and welcome to Symi at last!
Good to hear you have found the Olive Tree, that means you are only a few steps from the Rainbow Bar you have heard so much about.

I will be there for a while later this afternoon before leaing for the ferry around 4.30 maybe I'll see you then.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lisa B » 15 Sep 2018, 10:52

Is Rainbow right next door to Lefteris?
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 15 Sep 2018, 10:54

Lisa B wrote:Is Rainbow right next door to Lefteris?

Yes. It is the one with orange chairs
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lisa B » 15 Sep 2018, 10:59

Great, thought so
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports