Late September on Symi

Archived trip reports

Late September on Symi

Postby Gemma1 » 23 Sep 2018, 15:28

22 September 2018

Travelled on an Olympic package holiday with Jet2 on the afternoon flight from LBA to Rhodes. I was allocated an aisle seat with extra legroom and the flight left on time. Just as well I had 22kg luggage allowance as my suitcase weighed 21.5kg!

We arrived in Rhodes slightly early but the airport was busy and it took a while to get through passport control and collect the luggage. There were no Olympic reps around so I went to the Olympic desk where Nigel gave me an envelope confirming that overnight accommodation would be at the Meliton Hotel, with a 7am pick up tomorrow morning to catch the ferry to Symi. The transfer was via a mini bus and we had to wait a while for another couple before setting off for the 10 minute transfer to the Meliton. I was the only passenger staying at the Meliton, which seemed quite remote – though it’s hard to tell in the dark. After paying my 1.5 euros tourist tax, the very pleasant receptionist showed me to room 22. The bed was a bit hard and the air-conditioning unit was quite noisy – with no remote to turn it off or alter the temperature - but it was perfectly adequate for one night. As it was 11pm my now I read for a while before turning in for the night – finishing off my Boots meal deal that I purchased at the airport.

23/9/18
The mini bus transfer to the port arrived at 0710 and I was the only passenger for a while, until we picked up 6 more people at the Blue Horizon Hotel. The Dodekanisos Express was ready and waiting and it only took a few minutes to collect tickets at the booth before we were all on board for the 50 minute crossing to Symi. A mini bus and driver picked us up at the clocktower in Symi, and after dropping the other passengers at the Iapetos Village, the driver dropped me at the side of the road in Chorio, where Sam was waiting to accompany me to Studio 3 at Anastasia.

After a catch up with my neighbour, Symi regular Colette, I stocked up on provisions at the supermarket (no issues paying by card) before taking the steps down passed the Secret Garden and joining the Pedi road. I enjoyed my leisurely stroll down to Pedi, listening to the birds and the distant cockerels before the hum of the power station took over. I took the left hand fork into Pedi, where 4 hens were strutting along, before stopping to sit on a bench with the sea lapping at my feet. I sat for a while enjoying the view and the peace and quiet of Pedi before continuing round the bay to Captain George where I sat on the wall admiring the view of Pedi with Chorio in the background, contemplating whether or not I will make it up to the Vigla this trip – the masts in the distance look an awfully long way up!

I retraced my steps and continued past the Pedi beach hotel and round the bay until the road came to an end. After walking back to the room and stopping for a short comfort break, I made my way down the Kali Strata to Yialos, stopping at the small café just before the bridge for a chicken gyros – 2.5 euros. The chicken was in breadcrumbs (it did say chicken pita on the menu to be fair) and the chips were very thin cut fries but it was tasty. After a wander round the harbour, which was very busy with day trippers, I made my way back up the Kali Strata. I sat outside the room for a while as inside was very warm, though there was very little breeze outside. I’m contemplating paying for the air conditioning for the first time ever in late September. Anastasia has just been round to give me a welcoming hug as she was in Panormitis when I arrived.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Re: Late September on Symi

Postby D and E » 23 Sep 2018, 16:05

Welcome Gemma.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 24 Sep 2018, 07:47

gemma2_edited.jpg

View from Anastasia

gemma1_edited.jpg

Walk to Pedi

gemma3_edited.jpg

Lunch in the harbour
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 24 Sep 2018, 07:57

Hmm, I thought I'd try to add some photos taken on my phone but they've come out in the wrong order and as usual are too big for here. Unfortunately I don't have D's blogging skills ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 24 Sep 2018, 09:38

Gemma1 wrote:Hmm, I thought I'd try to add some photos taken on my phone but they've come out in the wrong order and as usual are too big for here. Unfortunately I don't have D's blogging skills ;)

Don't worry Gemma1, I've resized the pictures for you.
Keep posting! It's no trouble for me to do the resizing and we like pictures around here :D
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby silverfox » 24 Sep 2018, 13:46

Thanks for posting Gemma.

How wonderful to have 2 blogs going at the same time with such great pictures to extend our enjoyment of Symi.

:)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 24 Sep 2018, 15:00

Allan wrote:
Gemma1 wrote:Hmm, I thought I'd try to add some photos taken on my phone but they've come out in the wrong order and as usual are too big for here. Unfortunately I don't have D's blogging skills ;)

Don't worry Gemma1, I've resized the pictures for you.
Keep posting! It's no trouble for me to do the resizing and we like pictures around here :D

You're a star Allan - and can tell which way round they were meant to be!
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 24 Sep 2018, 15:01

23/9/18 - continued

At 7pm I met up with my friend M in the square for the short walk to the house that she and A have been renting since February. The house is lovely with stunning views over Chorio and Pedi from the front balcony. We enjoyed a dinner of chicken and briam with bread and wine on the balcony, watching the sky turn from day to night over Chorio with the full moon brightening overhead. It was a lovely evening catching up with friends and enjoying the spectacular view.

24/9/18
After breakfast on the balcony, which was already very hot, I walked through the square and along the quiet lane at the back of the village with beautiful views over Yialos. When I reached the church I set off down the Kataraktis, walking down the old cobbled steps and passing the school and tennis courts before taking the road at the back of the harbour passing the Iapetos Village and turning up the steep road on the right to the cemetery. After stopping to stroke a beautiful bay horse in the enclosure on the right, I continued on the path towards Emborio. The turkeys have moved since I last walked this way and the enclosure was empty, but I could hear what sounded like turkeys behind a high wall on my left. I passed an enclosure with some sleepy sheep and a cockerel pecking away, before arriving at the monastery of Agios Georgios Drakoundiotis, with stunning views over the coastline and down to Emborio. I continued down the zig zag path towards the road, walking on past the cantina and the taverna in Emborio before making my way along the rocky beach. I turned left up the rocky riverbed to the church and mosaics. After sitting for a while I returned to Emborio and as it wasn’t quite mid-day and too early for lunch, I walked back along the road to Yialos. As one of the day tripper boats was approaching the harbour I stopped for lunch at the first taverna after Nos beach, where I enjoyed a Greek salad with bread and water for 8.9 euros whilst admiring the lovely harbour view. After lunch I made my way slowly back up the Kali Strata via the cake shop where I purchased a slice of cheesecake (2.7 euros) for later.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 24 Sep 2018, 15:35

Took me ages to master sizing the pics & recall Allan providing me with assistance until I found an App called Image Size which I now use. We are loving the blog from up there in Chorio - from the folk down here in Pedi :D
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 24 Sep 2018, 16:41

I think I need better equipment than my phone and a second hand netbook that I bought from my manager for £100 about 3 years ago. WIFI might help too ;)

Hopefully here are the photos to go with the blog in the correct order.

Last night's view at dinner
gemma4_edited.jpg

Walking to Emborio
gemma5_edited.jpg

Lunch in the harbour
gemma6_edited.jpg
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby plee » 24 Sep 2018, 21:50

Hi Gemma, thank you for the blog - I am so excited to be on Symi in 2 days!! I hope I get to say hello to you x
plee
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby silverfox » 25 Sep 2018, 13:12

Missing the views and that salad looks great!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 25 Sep 2018, 15:57

silverfox wrote:Missing the views and that salad looks great!

It was excellent and the views as always are superb :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 25 Sep 2018, 16:01

24/9/18 continued

For dinner I decided to follow in D&E's steps and walk down to the Tolis taverna in Pedi. Although the road is lit by street lights, it can be dark in parts so I was glad I’d packed my mini torch – especially when 2 motor bikes went passed without any lights!

When I reached the taverna there were only 4 tables occupied so I sat at a table next to the sea, enjoying the peace and quiet with the lights from the Pedi beach hotel in the distance and an occasional fishing boat returning to Pedi. I ordered aubergine salad to start, followed by the excellent moussaka and the bill including bread, a small water and a glass of very nice white wine was 15.5 euros. I only managed to eat half the aubergine salad and struggled to finish the moussaka, though some local cats soon moved over from where they’d been meowing at the table behind and helped to finish it off. As it was 20 minutes until the next bus was due I walked back up the road where I met up with A and went to the open mic night at the Secret Garden, listening to Marcus, Steve and George, plus a few poems from a lady called Hazel. It was a pleasant evening listening to music and enjoying a few glasses of wine.

25/9/18
Woke to another hot and sunny day with no shade on the balcony, so after a quick breakfast, I set off past the square before turning right up a flight of stairs and meandering through the houses and ruins to the donkey path. Every time I do this walk I seem to take a different route but soon found the path with its magnificent views over Yialos and Horio. I met one solitary goat on my walk until I reached the little church where 2 goats were enjoying the sunshine on the church roof. I stopped a while to enjoy the view and the peace and quiet, listening to the birds and the buzz of insects with the occasional bleating from the goats. After my rest, and a welcome drink of water, I continued up the path to the road and turned left back towards Horio. I passed the kantina, which was closed, and when the road turned left down the hill I crossed over and walked through the open gate towards the monastery, passing 2 cement mixers, a truck and an old freezer before reaching the monastery gates. I sat under the shade of the large tree, reading my book and enjoying the welcome breeze, before walking back to the road and taking the quiet lane at the back of Yialos towards the church. I made my way back down towards the square via various paths and steps and as the bakery was still open, I bought a cheese pie for lunch (2 euros) that I ate on the balcony with a large tomato. After lunch it was still very hot on the balcony, so I decided to do a bit more walking and walked up to the windmills and down to Yialos via the main road so I could take a look at the new ferry dock. I had to walk in the road for part of the way as workmen are digging a large trench at the side of the road to lay new pipes. When I reached the dock there wasn’t an awful lot to see apart from the Blue Star kiosk and some large poster size ‘postcards’ of Symi on the wall – presumably to brighten it up. The bar/restaurant was closed with everything wrapped in what looked like thick cling film, so I made my way to the harbour where I stopped for a drink before walking back up the kali strata. I’ve just had a visit from Sam, my accommodation owner, who has brought me some fresh eggs so it looks like it’s eggs for breakfast tomorrow :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 25 Sep 2018, 16:35

View from Taverna Tolis at night (not sure how well this will come out)
gemma7_resized.jpg

Open Mic at Secret Garden
gemma8_resized.jpg

Today's walk
gemma9_resized.jpg

gemma10_resized.jpg
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 25 Sep 2018, 16:44

You are certainly getting the steps in Gemma - giving Silverfox a walk for his money :D

We could lie & say we have forgotten the Fitbit charger ...... but :shock:

Loving you’re descriptions of these wonderful walks you go on.

Enjoy Sam’s eggs - these touches are so special. We had a freshly baked chocolate cake attached to our door handle this morning - the generosity of this island is just remarkable.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 26 Sep 2018, 15:59

25/9/18 continued

Dinner was beef in Metaxa with mushrooms at George and Marias’s, 2 tender fillets of beef with mushrooms accompanied by chips and rice – it was delicious. Tonight I only ordered one course as I know the portions are large and I was full by the time I’d finished. The bill, including a quarter carafe of white wine was 13 euros.

After dinner I popped into the Sunrise to say goodbye to Colette, who is going home tomorrow. It was nice to catch up with some familiar faces and enjoy a couple of glasses of wine.

26/9/18
Woke to a sunny day with a strong breeze which was very welcome – as long as you’re not travelling on a ferry. Attempted to make an omelette for breakfast with Sam’s eggs – though I didn’t have any cooking oil and there was no fish slice so it came out more like scrambled egg, but was very tasty with lovely yellow yolks.

Today I decided to have a beach day before the weather changes and walked down to Pedi and through the gate where I took the path to St Nicholas beach. 15 minutes later I was walking down the steps to the beach, just as the first taxi boat arrived. After paying 3 euros for the sunbed, I settled down at the far end of the beach relaxing with my book. When the second ferry boat arrived the swell from the boat caused a wave that went right under my sunbed taking my sandals with it – luckily my bag was on the table! After retrieving my sandals I decided it was safer to move to another sunbed under the shade of the tree. I had lunch in the taverna where I ordered the tuna salad with lettuce (8 euros) rather than the tuna dip. The bill including water and bread was 10 euros. The salad wasn’t the best I’ve had and the bread was very hard so I might bring my own lunch if I come back.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 26 Sep 2018, 16:16

Beef in metaxa with mushrooms
gemma11s.jpg

A day at the beach
gemma12s.jpg

gemma13s.jpg
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 27 Sep 2018, 16:50

Last night dinner was at M and A’s. M was going to do a BBQ but changed it to a chilli as it was meant to be windy. However, there was only a gentle breeze as we sat out on the balcony all night, watching the sun disappear and the large orange moon appear from behind the mountain and rise into the sky. It was another lovely evening with good company, admiring the view and eating A’s excellent chilli.

27/9/18
Woke to a mixture of sunshine with some grey clouds. After breakfast I walked to the supermarket to re-stock up on provisions, before walking through Horio and up to the Kastro. I love the panoramic views from up here and after walking up to the little church, I settled down on one of the walls overlooking Chorio and read my book for half an hour. On leaving, I took the path in the opposite direction and wandered in a vague left and upwards direction, walking up steps and along alleys until I joined the quiet lane at the back of Horio. When I reached the main road I crossed over and took the road to Agia Marina cemetery before continuing on the path over the hill to Zoodohou Pigis Vrysi monastery. As it was starting to rain I sheltered under the big cypress tree for a while but it was only spitting and didn’t last long. I stayed up there for a while reading my book and admiring the views over Horio and Pedi, before setting off back – passing the ‘posh’ kantina, complete with portaloo and artificial grass. I would have stopped there for lunch but the kantina was closed, though there were still tables and chairs outside so I’m not sure if it has closed for the season or not. I continued down the main road for a while before turning left along a small road/path and made my way back to Horio via a variety of paths and steps, passing a very smart stone building with a red roof. I arrived back at the Kali Strata opposite Zoe’s taverna and bought a cheese pie from the bakery for lunch which I ate on the balcony. The breeze was quite strong and I noticed that Anastasia had removed one of my outside chairs (I only need one anyway) and the chairs from outside studios 1 and 2. I’m not sure if that’s due to the predicted high wind or because there are new no guests expected – studio 2 has been empty since I arrived.

After lunch I walked down past the school to the harbour to see if the ferries were still running. There was at least one day excursion boat in the harbour, plus the Dodekanisos ferry which was due to depart at 1630. There were also some very expensive looking yachts. After a wander round the harbour I returned back up the Kali Strata.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 27 Sep 2018, 17:53

Great updates Gemma!

You are certainly getting plenty of walking in and not the easy routes either. Putting me to shame for sure!

I'm retracing all your steps in my mind.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Next

Return to Trip Reports