10 Cheeky Days

Archived trip reports

10 Cheeky Days

Postby silverfox » 04 Oct 2019, 15:24

10 Cheeky Days in Month 10

Starting the blog early as usual and we are so happy that we have managed to get an extra 10 cheeky days at the end of the Symi season. We fly out on Wednesday 9th October from Manchester 7am and so lucky our flights are with Tui and not Thomas Cook and feel so sorry for others who have lost their precious time on the rock, and also feel sorry for all the staff and small businesses losing out and the loss of business on the island too.

test 24.jpg

We hope to meet our fellow bloggers D & E who will be around the same time we are there but we are not sure we will keep up with their eating habits as we plan a cheap trip with more bread and cheese back at the apartments etc… We will see if that pans out but it will be great to share a drink with the top bloggers!

church.jpg

We do need a bit of last minute advice on weather will we need a pair of trousers and jumper for night time temperatures and advice on which tavernas are still open?

sunrise 24.jpg

Only 2 more days to work!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Re: 10 Cheeky Days

Postby Gemma1 » 05 Oct 2019, 07:54

Really looking forward to a late Symi fix and glad that your holiday hasn't been affected by the sad demise of Thomas Cook. I'm struggling with the wet and chilly UK weather after my recent holiday in Crete so make the most of that Symi sunshine and I hope the weather stays good for you - it's bound to be better than here ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Dhani » 05 Oct 2019, 11:10

Looking forward to your forthcoming blog and also the D & E blog :D :D
Dhani
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Allan » 06 Oct 2019, 14:38

10 days? I thought you'd only managed a week, lucky you! I'm really looking forward to your blog and it will be even better if you manage to meet up with D&E to combine your blogs!

I too feel sorry for all those affected by Thomas Cook's demise, particularly their employees who suddenly find themselves out of a job through no fault of their own.
The loss of Thomas Cook will have an effect on the island of course but fortunately package tourists are a small minority of Symi visitors these days thanks to companies like booking.com and airbnb. There will be property owners though who rely on payments from Thomas Cook for their clients' accommodation and they are unlikely to see much if anything from the administrators winding up the company. It's a sad state of affairs but Symi has suffered worse over recent years and somehow it survives.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby silverfox » 06 Oct 2019, 16:24

Allan wrote:10 days? I thought you'd only managed a week, lucky you! I'm really looking forward to your blog and it will be even better if you manage to meet up with D&E to combine your blogs!

I too feel sorry for all those affected by Thomas Cook's demise, particularly their employees who suddenly find themselves out of a job through no fault of their own.
The loss of Thomas Cook will have an effect on the island of course but fortunately package tourists are a small minority of Symi visitors these days thanks to companies like booking.com and airbnb. There will be property owners though who rely on payments from Thomas Cook for their clients' accommodation and they are unlikely to see much if anything from the administrators winding up the company. It's a sad state of affairs but Symi has suffered worse over recent years and somehow it survives.

We could have had 14 days for the same price but we could not get enough time off work! :(

I'm sure we will finally meet up with D&E who inspired me, with their great musings, to blog on this fine forum.

Symi will survive as so many good people love the place and need their fix!

I hope you are on the mend my friend and you can go back to a place we both love soon!

:)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 07 Oct 2019, 08:21

Allan wrote:10 days? I thought you'd only managed a week, lucky you! I'm really looking forward to your blog and it will be even better if you manage to meet up with D&E to combine your blogs!

It's the employees and other businesses affected that I feel most sympathy for due to the demise of TC, though of course I feel for those who have lost their holidays too. I'm sure that Symi will survive but there are other Greek islands that have been affected badly - I understand that TC were the only airline to fly direct to Lesbos and believe Skiathos has been badly affected too. I know that my favourite winter destination of Goa has also been affected as TC and TUI were the only airlines to fly there direct from the UK with TC flying 3 times a week from Manchester and their flights were much cheaper than TUI who only fly once a week. Like Symi a lot of people (including us) travel to Goa independently but TC were a scheduled airline as well as offering package holidays and many people booked their flights through TC.

Not long to wait now until Silverfox and D&E return to Symi and bring some Symi sunshine into our lives ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 07 Oct 2019, 08:48

Great to see the Silverfox Blog starting up.

We start our pre Symi warm up today with the tough job of getting Zoë to the cattery. Luckily the little girl was waiting for D when he went downstairs at 7am but having blocked the cat flap there is now a suspicious look on her face :shock:

Alas the cattery that is within 10 minutes drive of our house always takes October as it’s holidays so we have to go further afield and with Zoë’s dislike of the car we face a 45 minute journey with stops to reassure her.

Then it will be back to get the cases down from the loft and get packing; load up the Caxton fx card; and D will download a couple of movies onto his iPad for the flight - and he has booked his window seat so he will be a happy boy.

We head to Birmingham on the 11:30 train tomorrow; stopping over in the Holiday Inn and are on the 07:00 TUI flight so we may well be on the same transfer bus. We will certainly be on the same ferry and we also know where you are late afternoon on the rock :D

Thinking about the tragic loss of Thomas Cook one can only hope that as the demand is still there other emerging companies may already be looking to take over the routes and holidays for future years. Witnessing their sad demise always highlights to us how lucky so many of us are to have Olympic and whilst we always compare with the independent option they still so often prove hard to beat in terms of price.

Right - let’s get Zoë’s cat box :evil: and do the necessary.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 08 Oct 2019, 08:19

Safe travels for tomorrow D&E and I've no doubts that I will be doing a lot of drooling once you are on Symi eating all that delicious food ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby KN9700 » 09 Oct 2019, 15:29

My wife and I had 12 wonderful days on our favourite holiday destination in September.
Now we are looking forward to the experiences of our two favourite bloggers - D&E and Silverfox - being on Symi at the same time.
As we use to we had wonderful food during our stay. In this forum it has been discussed how the food was at the new Mythos. We can warmly recommend the place. Stavros has not forgotten how to cook during his stay on Rhodes last summer. We had a tasteful moussaka and a wonderful pork dish with creamy potatoes, all very delicious.
We wish you, our superbloggers, a nice travel to the rock and a wonderful stay that you´ll hopefully write a lot about.
KN9700
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 10 Oct 2019, 07:13

Hope our bloggers arrived safely on Symi yesterday and those chairs at the Rainbow have dried out after the rain on Tuesday - we don't want any wet bottoms ;) I do really miss the Symi webcam for my morning view of Symi harbour and the live weather updates :X
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 10 Oct 2019, 11:17

KN9700 wrote: In this forum it has been discussed how the food was at the new Mythos. We can warmly recommend the place. Stavros has not forgotten how to cook during his stay on Rhodes last summer. We had a tasteful moussaka and a wonderful pork dish with creamy potatoes, all very delicious.

I'm pleased you enjoyed your meal at the new Mythos. I was slightly disappointed with my visit but it was quite early in the season and he hadn't been open for very long. From what you say he must have sorted any small problems and it's good to know he's back to producing his excellent dishes. Perhaps D&E will pay him a visit so we can read their expert opinion too.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby D and E » 10 Oct 2019, 13:43

We will be reporting on Stavros but not at Mythos :shock:

We have just been with him & Manolis at Oddysia for a beer and they are working together now and next season. Good well be a match made in culinary heaven.

We will report back on our experience there over the next few day’s.

In the meantime it’s back to these lovely mezes in Elpida’s 8-)
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Allan » 10 Oct 2019, 16:03

D and E wrote:We have just been with him & Manolis at Oddysia for a beer and they are working together now and next season. Good well be a match made in culinary heaven.

Well, that IS good news! I was surprised by Stavros' obvious close links with his neighbour and landlord. It didn't seem a good fit to me. Stavros working with Oddysia sounds "right" somehow and I wish them both well.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby silverfox » 10 Oct 2019, 18:02

Apologies for the lack of posting... The laptop is not working.... I'm trying to sort and update as soon as I can
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Jan » 10 Oct 2019, 19:16

Excellent news re Stavros. He looked miserable in September and we heard rumours that he was looking for a more congenial partner, so pleased (a) that he's found one and (b) that as Harani residents he'll be on our doorstep.
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 11 Oct 2019, 06:35

Wednesday 9th

The Journey

Well the preparations haven’t gone that well as I was out on the beer on Monday night for a work colleague leaving meet up and despite my early night intention I ended up staying the course with a late night curry. The result was a migraine Tuesday morning so ended up in bed most of the day and missing a day at work!

Last minute packing of the gadgets but I'm trying to cut down what I'm taking, and a quick haircut before an early night.

There is a change this trip as our son Martin is on holiday in Menorca so we drive ourselves to Manchester airport and use the meet and greet at Terminal 2.

We set off just after 2am and decided to go through Castleton, Winnats Pass and on the new link road. Empty roads got us to the airport where we somehow missed the turn into the airport which added an extra 10 mins to the journey. We were into the very efficient Meet and Greet, our timing is perfect as we are through the check in desk in no time and through security, both getting random searched and Liz got wanded!.

We were emailed last last night warning of a 45 minute delay and so I went of piste and ordered a pint in the airport bar, Liz ordering a coffee. There did seem to be a lot of kids around, thought it was still term time? Luckily we didn’t have the long walk as the gate was announced and was one downstairs where you get on the buses but it was only a few hundred yards to the Boeing 767. We boarded fairly quickly and seated one row from the back with a tiny baby in the seat in front. It was a good flight where I made friends with Jack – the drink, not the quiet little baby in front. Liz went for fizzy!

jack.jpg

drink.jpg

Choas ensued at the baggage carousel where after the first raft of cases they stopped for 10 minutes and a cheer went up as they finally restarted.

On to the bus which started to fill up with Germans and we finally set off towards Falaraki which slightly worried us, we began to wonder whether we were on the right bus. Olympic are great at these things and you are never quite sure what is happening. Just before Fakaraki we turned back towards Rhodes Town and we were at last dropped off at Mouragio Taverna where we are greeted by familiar faces that we have never met before. The famous master bloggers D&E, the very people who inspired me to do these blogs.

I don’t ask for an autograph, that can wait for later in the week.

salad.jpg

chips.jpg

We have our usual Greek Salad and our first taste of the chips made with the wonderful potatoes here, washed down with a couple a Mythos. D&E had already headed down to the ferry but we found them in the open deck after we had collected our tickets from the booth.

boat.jpg

A pleasant crossing where we shared a few drinks and has a good chat – noticing that the sun was setting we left Rhodes and it was so dark by the time we arrived at Symi.

A quick drive up to Taxiarchis were we are given room 18 which is just below where we stayed in June where an even quicker refresh before walking back up the hill.

A quick hello with Neil, Toby and Yianni before our traditional first night fare in Georgios with the superb Shrimp Pasties, Green beans and the wonderful Beef in Metaxa.

beef.jpg

There are a few familiar faces around slightly worse for wear that have been on the round the island boat trip and after a few Ouzo night caps in Yiannis Rainbow Bar we are slightly worse for wear too! This is not helped by Yianni bringing the last drink on the house!

ncap.jpg

We head for bed after a long tiring day.

Well worth it though to be back on Symi!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 11 Oct 2019, 08:29

A great start and I also recommend the Manchester Meet & Greet which we have used a couple of times - including earlier this year before our Greek island hopping trip.

Glad you arrived safely and the beef in metaxa is my favourite dish at Georgios - delicious :D

Enjoy that Symi sunshine and your first Symi walk - it's pouring down again here :|
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 12 Oct 2019, 05:42

Thursday 10th

Deer, Peacocks and Pigs

After last night it is difficult to get out of bed but once awake I find it hard to drop off back to sleep. Liz has no problems this morning so I’m up, half unpacked showered and ready to go by 8am.

I leave Liz and I’m off down the Kali Strata. There is always something special about your first walk of the holiday and it’s usually down the steps I like best. As I turn the corner I can hear the Islands children at school and the sound of a digger somewhere.

kali.jpg
Kali Strata

It’s hazy sunshine this morning but still pleasantly warm as I reach a quiet Gialos and wander round towards Nos Beach and right in front of Elpidas the digger is taking up the berthing ramp to presumably replace. My intention was to turn around and head back but I decide to carry on to Nimborio.

dig.jpg
Digger

It’s the first time I’ve walked this way along the road and it’s good to do so as you see things you may not have noticed before. I turn off and up the Zig Zag path up to the church taking a few water rests along the way.

path.jpg
Zig Zag Path

I stand and gaze a while at one of my favourite views looking down into Nimborio before heading along the path with all the goats and chickens and the odd barking dog for company.

On reaching the cemetery I turn left and up past some small holdings on the left where I spot Peacocks, Deer and little Pigs which I never knew were here as I’d never ventured this way before.

deer.jpg
Deer

pigs.jpg
Little Piggies

I come across yet another church I never knew existed before the steep decent into the back end of the square.

church.jpg
Church

I carried on along past the bus stop and took in more drink at the kiosk before heading up the road. I did my small litter pick of plastic bottles, a bag and a few cups safely deposited in one of the may bins.

I phoned Liz and we met up in the village to do our first shop of a still warm loaf, eggs, ham, cheese and water etc.. I ended up trying 3 supermarkets before finally finding a large bottle of Metaxa at the Americans up near Zoe’s Taverna.

pick.jpg

We have a simple lunch of bread, ham, cheese and tomatoes and try to write up Wednesdays blog but have real problems getting my laptop to boot up properly with many error messages. I finally give up as it’s time for an afternoon beer at The Rainbow where we are joined by Neil, Toby, Libby and Terri. We change the chat to food and get great reports of Scena and Terri recommends a new dish at The Secret Garden.

After enough beer and Ouzo to kill 2 elephants we almost decide to go straight to Scena but after all the travelling and perhaps too much walking on the first day I hit a “brick wall” and we head back to room 18. Liz is still hungry so she rings The Dolphin and orders a Carbonara and Butchers Pizza to be delivered. They arrived in an amazing 20 minutes and were both delicious and filling. (Sorry I had a bloggers nightmare today, NO FOOD PICTURES!

boat.jpg
To make up for no food pictures!

A further fumbled attempt at getting the computer working and a night cap of Metaxa and we were both ready for sleep!

No Fitbit but I have a new Huawei watch that says neary 18,000 steps today!

Symi is hard work....but we love it!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 12 Oct 2019, 07:46

Friday 11th October

Gone Fishing

Up at 7am after being awake since around 5am and managed to get the computer working and finally posted Wednesdays ramblings. (The laptop is still being awkward as I speak...well type)

We are greeted by one of the local cats who tries to get in both windows before finally sitting at the door once we have opened it to let the morning in.

Cat.jpg
Good Morning

We have eggs, ham and bread for breakfast and I do a little work on picture re-sizing to try and catch up slightly with this blog before we venture out.

Eggs.jpg
Breakfast

Just a warning for anyone heading out that the mozzies are still very active and we have numerous bites overnight so bring your sprays.

Liz is on the 10.30am bus and I’m already down by Petalo before she passes having done my little litter pick on the way.

We meet at the Comfy Chairs and D&E are chatting with one of their many friends on the next table. We have a nice Latte, people watching as the day trippers start to arrive, before being joined by Neil and Toby who were down to collect parcels.

We have a beer and then make our way round to Merakles for lunch, shared starters of Crab Salad and Cheese Balls with Liz having a shrimp omelette, Neil and I plump for the Lamb Chops and Toby having metballs. Loads of white wine washed it all down.

cheese.jpg
Cheese Balls

lamb.jpg
Lamb Chops

Now usually when in Greece things happen that surprise, shock or entertain and this day was not to let us down.

I’ll go back to yesterday first. On Islands like Symi all sorts of things get carried on bikes and yesterday when turning the corner near the car park at camos 2 men were heading up on a bike and the man at the back was carrying a 10 foot pole which started to swing sideways as they approached me. I swiftly moved away as the smiling men stopped and apologised for my little scare.

Back to today, as I was walking into Gialos another biker sounded his horn by mistake just as he was about to pass me which really made me jump so another apology was forthcoming.

Now to the present as we were eating another bike backfired which sounded like a gun shot!

But the real fun was about to unravel in front of our eyes.

Looking behind Neil there was a Greek man on a balcony in his underpants dangling his fishing tackle down into the lane complete with float and a big lure on the end. This came to rest outside the entrance to one of the shops and a man sidestepped to go inside. Next a young lad came around on his bike and nearly crashed into the wall before shouting up at the man who appeared to be deaf!

Next up was a group of ladies who managed to get tangled until rescued by Neil. At this point we were looking for a fish carcass to attach but as none were available Neil took the remnants of a Lamb Chop and placed on the mans hook.

Unfortunately we could not see his face as he reeled in a Lamb Chop but fair play he did throw it back!

fish.jpg
Look what I caught!

I Love Greece!

Liz, Neil and Toby jumped in a Taxi and I walked back up taking the “Lazy Steps” and up the road behind the school. I get an offer of a sit on a young boys bike on the way up….I must look so tired!

view.jpg
Lazy Steps view

I needed the cold beer at the top and we were joined by more Steves, Pat, Penny and Anne. We stay too long and drink too much but we are on holiday!

To save going back out we try the new Scena down past Zoes.

Scena.jpg
Scena

We share some interesting pancake rolls, which seem to have mixed meat and prawns, and a very nice chicken fillet with a slightly curried mustard sauce.

pancake.jpg
Pancake Rolls

chick.jpg
Chicken with Mustard Sauce

A simple white wine served in an ice bucket was nice too. All for 25 Euro.

wine.jpg
Wine

It’s a nice place with great views and we were the only non Greeks there and worth another visit if we can fit it in!

A slow walk back under moonlight to number 18 and a Metaxa nightcap brought another fun filled day with great company to an end.

night.jpg
Moonlight on Symi

Fun and magic on this little rock!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 12 Oct 2019, 09:12

What a great read and the amount of walking that you do (and the time you start) puts me to shame although I do enjoy a good walk myself but rarely set off anywhere before mid morning. I always walk to Nimborio 'over the top' but usually walk back along the road and it's often one of the first walks of my holiday as the view from the top is one of my favourites too. Those little piggies look so cute - it's almost enough to put me off eating bacon again :?

Laughing away at the Greek man on the balcony and thank goodness it was only his fishing tackle that was dangling down :P
Glad you managed to add the photos, those cheese balls look delicious and once again I am drooling :D Scena is definitely on my agenda for next year and your meal there was excellent value - I'm beginning to think I should have booked for 3 weeks to fit everything in ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Next

Return to Trip Reports