A Special Return

Archived trip reports

Re: A Special Return

Postby silverfox » 26 Jun 2022, 18:50

Pierrot was born in Symi

Now I have typed this as it appears on the monument erected near the windmills on Symi (all spelling subject to whoever) ....I have no idea if this is true but there you go.

"In 1992, a pantomime theatre conductor in Denmark desided to find out who had created the role of Pierrot. As he was seeking for answer, he discovered that it hat come in Denmark from France. He went to France where he found out that the French had given it the name Piero but had taken the idea for this role from Venice he discovered that in around 1500, a Venetian boat had been to an island near Rodos which hand a lot of windmills and some people went up and outside of windmill. They met a guy dressed in a whiteshirt and trousers wearing a triangular hat making funny faces and gestures to some kids who were watching him and were laughing with his jokes, at some point, he fell in a wooden tub full of flour, and when he got out of it he was all white and continued making funny faces and the whole appearance of Giorgos, that was the name of the guy, and when they returned to their country they copied the idea and Pierrot became a role whish had been born in one of the 19 windmills of Symi to conguer the whole world."

pierrot.jpg
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 27 Jun 2022, 06:38

Sunday 26th June

I’m awake at 6.30am after a restless night.

It has been quite breezy since we arrived so we have not had the air conditioning yet but we think we may start with it today. I’m not really looking forward to it as my eyes are sore already this morning so I’m back on the anti histamines already.

I’m busy sorting the blog as Liz finally drags herself from the bed and actually starts putting her clothes away. She’s had far more important activities to take care of since we arrived like food etc..

bird.jpg

Liz fancied a morning on the little terrace at number 20 so I set off for a slow walk down the valley into Pedi, the thought is it may ease my stiff back as long as I take it steady. There is a little cloud around this morning but it clears as I wander amongst the goats, chickens and lizards. The chickens are not as pretty as my girls back home!

Lizard.jpg

As I reach Pedi the new Cafe bar Kamares seems to have some morning trade which is good to see. I love Pedi in a morning as it’s so serene and good for the soul. Walking along it looks like the little shack at the small jetty is now being transformed into another Taverna perhaps as I notice some nice chairs in the courtyard. Anyone know if this is the case?

pedi2.jpg

The beach at the Tolis Taverna is already quite busy and round by the small marina fences now keep us riff-raff out of the space for the yachts.

pedi.jpg

As I make the slow walk back up the road I’m greeted with the “Are you Silverfox” question and stopped to talk to 2 lovely couples who take in the blog. They have high praise for the Saturday music night at Scena and recommend the new Kali Strata Fish Taverna and talk of a good meal at Meraklis.

To any newcomers, it’s hard to find a bad meal on Symi and you will be delighted with the usual standard of food served.

Talking of food, of which we are having far too much of, I’m now back up at base with a light lunch of crackers, eggs, tomatoes, cheese and ham. Sometimes simple is best.

Lunch.jpg
Simple Lunch

A little rest and a cool shower and we are soon heading up the lanes for our afternoon drink and idle chat. Ann confirms the Shack will be another eating place owned by the Tolis Taverna, perhaps a Pizzeria.

Kali Taverna.jpg
The view at the new Kali Strata Restaurant

Instead of heading back we take the few steps down to the new Kali Strata Taverna where we share a Greek Salad, both plump for the Cod with Garlic and a carafe of white wine. The salad was fresh and tasty and the small Cod pieces fried in a delicate tempura batter and served with a mild garlic mashed potato. It’s a very pleasant place with great food and service, so good we book again for next Saturday.

salad.jpg
Greek Salad

cod.jpg
The very nice Cod with Garlic

We are served with a complimentary cake and a small shot of something sweet.

cake.jpg
Compliments of the house

Terri, Chris and Jeanette and Roger arrive and say hello just before we leave with a few football digs either way. I’m a Blade and they are Plymouth Argyle.

We call at Sotiris for some tea and coffee before heading back to number 20.

We never got the Air Con.

A few Metaxa night caps and another simple but yet magical day on Symi comes to an end.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 27 Jun 2022, 20:25

Monday 27 June

One of the conversations in the Rainbow Bar yesterday was of unused telescopes and a couple offering one to Ann to use when her relatives arrive, Toby mentions about planets and the moon aligning very early in the morning sky. It must have registered in my subconscious because I was awake at 4.30am and took a few photos of the crescent moon and one of the bright planets to the right.

sky.jpg

sky 2.jpg

I did manage to get some more sleep before finally getting up just after 7am. As you can tell I am really a morning person which generally means eating less late at night.

The back is easing off which is good news, I did sleep in the single bed at No 20 which seems to have a firmer mattress. A couple of crackers and cheese for breakfast before I am off down the Kali Strata with my bottle of frozen water. I am on one of my favourite (and many other Symi lovers) walks as I pass behind the square and slowly up the hill past the Cemetery and onto the track. I pass no one and stop to look in the Church and take to take on water. THAT view which always memorises me.

church.jpg

I stand for a while taking it all in. This is so good for my soul. I make my way down the zig zag path and turn right at the bottom. For anyone new to Symi – turn left and there is a tiny beach and shack and further on sunbeds and a nice little taverna and for the adventurous the catacombs and the small mosaic at the church.

that.jpg

Back along the road there is a nice breeze, which has been around since we arrived, so I am not wet through which is the norm. I am soon sat by the clocktower and see the yellow bus coming down the road. Another bit of info for Symi virgins – the bus leaves Gialos on the hours and takes you to the Village and then down into Pedi, leaving Pedi at ½ past the hours and picking up at Kampos before back down to Gialos, 2 euro each way.

n1.jpg

I meet Liz at comfy chairs for a coffee, watching the world go by before making our round to Elpidas. A few beers while we watch the world go by….perfect!

The loose plan tonight was The Secret Garden open mike night but both of us still winding down and me in particular an early riser, that may change so a visit to the very smart new supermarket near the clock tower to peruse the vast choice is in order.

They have a great meat and cheese counter and a very impressive wine and spirit cellar although despite my reputation I did not succumb to such pleasures. We do get ham, cheese, onion and a fine looking tomato.

Liz takes the bus and off up the road after buying a water at the kiosk. I nearly go via the “easy steps” and with past experience whoever named these need to wobble their head! With the breeze it’s not as sweaty as usual but with higher temperatures on the way I should be thankful.

I’m so fit now (haha) I reach the Rainbow before Liz and Yiannis has a beer for me as soon as he sees me. Liz arrives within a few minutes and stores our shopping in the fridge at the bar. The idle chat eats through time before we call in at the supermarket for a few more bits before heading back to base.

With the news of the wind dying back and temperatures rising we take the decision to pay for the Air Con for the rest of our stay.

We use our provisions for a simple sandwich on a day where no pictures of food will appear on the blog. You would never get this from D&E! © Food

wow.jpg

We could do with a toaster….but that is a story for another day.

We sit waiting a video call from some of the grandchildren so all is good here on this simple yet special little rock.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby katy » 28 Jun 2022, 08:23

Many thanks for taking the time to do this super blog. It's wetting our appetite for our return in early September.
katy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby silverfox » 28 Jun 2022, 17:11

Many thanks for reading it Katy. I'm wittering on about nothing really. :D :D :D
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 28 Jun 2022, 21:28

We know that you know that we are avidly reading and are with you with every step (& sip :D ) you take.
Great blog with great pics.
Thank you.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby silverfox » 29 Jun 2022, 07:34

Tuesday 28th June

Pay day at home so if we need more money we now have more in our account, not that things seem much more expensive than our last visit. The prices in the Tavernas are not that much different, beers at €3.50 or €4 and a box of white wine from the supermarket €10.50 for 5 Litre.

village.jpg

Well the plan has changed. After getting up a little later than I have and a quick breakfast of fried bread and eggs we didn’t feel like (well Liz didn’t) the walk up to the monastery high on the hill above Pedi. Liz did like the idea of lunch in Gialos though so we set off walking as the bus times were not too favourable for her. We are soon, but very slowly, up by the windmills and once the views are there it’s such a pleasant walk down the road you can’t fail to enjoy.

view1.jpg

We buy a drink from the kiosk and sit for a while on the bench and watch the mornings coming and going. Liz did well to walk all the way down and I’m still struggling with my back but a slow walk seems to help but sitting or laying down for a long time and I’m seizing up.

Perhaps we should have used a different title for the blog? “Two old gits abroad” ??

We pass To Spitiko (I’m still calling it that in future rather than Meat the Meat) and Jordana is welcoming one of the day trip parties which is good to see as she mentioned how quiet it has been the last few weeks. We know that the folk who choose to stay on Symi get annoyed by the “brolly followers” but it’s still important to all on the island.

view.jpg

Another good bit of exercise for Liz and we sit by the clock tower for a while and watch the Sebeco coming in bringing what looked like more day trippers.

It’s now mid day and though tempted to walk around to Tholos (think superb Lemon Potatoes and fantastic everything else) we head back along and Liz had a look at the new development of the square. She soon retreated as it seems to draw the heat and even though we still have the strong breeze it’s hot and humid.

We reach a very quiet Meraklis with just one couple taking up a table in the shade. We pick another table in the shade and Liz plumps for a Tomato Omelette and I choose the Lamb chops with a cold beer of course. Not the best or biggest chops ever but tasty and the Omelette got good reviews.

omellete.jpg

chops.jpg

The clothes shop across has some nice looking shirts for men although I’m not sure they would look that great on me at my size!

Talking of which we call at the new place near The Trawler but on the front which is now an Ice Cream and cake place and as the one near the International seems closed maybe it’s them that have relocated? Anyone know? Anyway, we have a tub of Ice cream each and once again sit on the bench in front taking it all in.

ice cream.jpg

After all the sitting I need to walk so after getting the essential water and off up the road and Liz waits for the bus.

A cool beer awaits in the bar that no one can ever describe why it works and to talk about stuff that doesn’t really matter. But it does!

Trying to remember I think we covered La Sagrada Familia, Red light districts, Elton John, George Best, chocolate on Clare’s lips and of course Arkwrights Mill.

I must try to go back to this bar again some day!

I’m sorry to all the people expecting endless food pictures but we can’t face going out for food tonight so a small sandwich back at number 20 is all we need.

Pedi.jpg

Even on simple days Symi weaves it’s magic web and captures you with things that you never realise.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 29 Jun 2022, 07:39

D and E wrote:We know that you know that we are avidly reading and are with you with every step (& sip :D ) you take.
Great blog with great pics.
Thank you.

Now there's a title, or song, worth thinking about...

"Every Sip You Take"

:D :D :D
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Thomasdk » 29 Jun 2022, 13:01

This blog and wonderful photos are like fresh blood to my veins. Thank you so much. :)
Please just stay on the island, don't go back home, stay and keep blogging, that way we all win. :D
Your photos are as always very a real treat to the eyes. I hope you guys are enjoying your stay, as it seems you are,
even if you do have to share it with us. :D
Thomasdk
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby silverfox » 29 Jun 2022, 18:19

Thomasdk wrote:This blog and wonderful photos are like fresh blood to my veins. Thank you so much. :)
Please just stay on the island, don't go back home, stay and keep blogging, that way we all win. :D
Your photos are as always very a real treat to the eyes. I hope you guys are enjoying your stay, as it seems you are,
even if you do have to share it with us. :D

Many thanks for the very kind words Thomas and if anyone would like to contribute enough money for us to stay here feel free!

I'll blag it and blog it! :D :D :D
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 30 Jun 2022, 07:06

Wednesday 29th June

Liz is up and around before me as I’m actually sleeping in longer but I know I must get up early a few morning to see the fantastic sunrises above Pedi.

Cats.jpg
Taxiarchis Cats

We plan to stay away from the hustle and bustle of Gialos today and with Liz finding the energy from somewhere we head down the road into Pedi.

Pies.jpg
Cheese Pies

shag.jpg
European Shag I think

It’s very quiet down here with just a few outside the hotel and a few on the beds next to Katsaras Taverna. Reaching our destination we take a seat at the new to us Kamares Cafe Bar and have a lovely Cheese Pie and cool Frappe. This is a very welcome new venue to sit and watch the world go by, for an hour or two, in such a serene location.

kamares.jpg

We did have the typical Greek madness moment with others mentioned in previous blogs….. a couple of Greeks came to take a boat out of the water and spent time trying to winch onto the trailer but then set off without tilting the engine which started digging and scraping into the road with a Greek chap shouting after them. You can’t make these moments up and do add to the Greek experience for sure. I laugh with them though not at them.

church.jpg

Liz hops on the bus as I meander back up through the valley where I stop and talk to the noisy chickens. Not sure they will understand the Yorkshire accent like my girls at home.

girls.jpg

By the time I’m back through the valley and back at number 20 Liz is already sat reading on the open terrace trying to keep in the shade as the breeze is no more so we will soon be complaining of the heat! Let’s just get it out of the way but Symi is hot every day at this time of year and will get hotter before we go home.

I have 15 minutes sat outside before going in and cranking up the aircon and taking on juice and water.

I’m trying to solve a few issues with the laptop and transferring files before I give up and take another shower. You can never take enough showers on Symi.

Liz stays behind to do a few chores which turn out to be more reading and a shower as I head for the time warp bar. I have to sit in the naughty chairs until some of the locals go and then we huddle together in our usual places and talk rubbish. It’s good and funny rubbish though.

We need some more water so call at the supermarket across from Ringos and somehow a bottle of Metaxa is in my bag as I leave. Now fancy that!

I drop the “provisions” back at base and meet back up with Liz outside the Secret Garden and just get in before a group of six young people who seemed to be off one of the yachts down below.

secret.jpg

We have another superb meal of Chicken Roquefort, Pork Tigania with sweet chilli and a gorgeous Bougiourdi (Feta Peppers, tomato and herbs) all washed down with white wine.

Just to say dipping the bread in these dishes was sublime. Around €38.00 and great value.

pork.jpg

chicken.jpg

If anyone is planning to stay at Taxiarchis apartments this is so close and well worth a visit or three!

Despite all the food I think I must be losing weight, phone in pocket and just rounding the corner my shorts fell down, ooh err missus just like an English farce!

Nightcaps back at base.

Can anyone pronounce Bougiourdi? Just asking.

Another day in paradise with all the memories.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 01 Jul 2022, 07:06

Thursday 30th June

Well I suppose it had to come. The day bloggers always have where you forget to take any decent pictures and events take over so you don’t really do anything that is worth telling anyone.

view.jpg

There was talk of a few of the regulars in The Rainbow that they had chores or “things to do” down below (meaning Gialos) so we said we would meetup for a drink.

I was a little later getting up this morning but was soon ready for the day. I took a slow wander up past the windmills and down the road taking in the fantastic views. The breeze has now dropped so it’s pretty hot as I make my way round and over the bridge taking a seat by the waters edge to relax.

view2.jpg

Liz took the bus in which she eventually arrived much later than she had hoped due to a Greek standoff between the Yellow bus and another minibus on the tight bend up in the village. As Symi only really has one road the drivers are usually pretty good at giving way. After a few heated discussions it got sorted so all is well.

A lovely fresh orange juice was forthcoming in the Alegrito as the Rainbow regulars or “Saga Louts” gathered. I pose with James for a silly photo before the conversations turn to food.

anchors.jpg
Don't ask

view3.jpg

Those that are eating decide on Meraklis where myself and Liz opt for the Sea Bream and of course, in company, I forget to get the food pictures that you all thrive on back home. Sorry I’m useless!!

You will have to make do with the after picture. It did look very nice when presnted.

fish.jpg

Toby, Neil and Liz share a taxi back and I spend a pleasant hour or two back at Alegrito with James and Terri. As we leave Colette, Elaine and Kev arrive off the Poseidon round the Island trip.

James and I set off walking back and as we pass the kiosk I call in and buy the stock of Lays Cheese and Onion crisps for Neil as he’s been complaining no one has any. Five bags should keep him going for a day at least!

beast.jpg

One last beer in The Rainbow before heading back to number 20 where a bacon sandwich went down a treat.

Now the plans for tomorrow? We have none.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby katy » 01 Jul 2022, 10:35

Super. That's just how a good holiday should be, no plans, let's see where the day takes us.
katy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby silverfox » 01 Jul 2022, 20:09

Kalinychta to all you Symi lovers.

goodnight.jpg
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 01 Jul 2022, 21:33

The new Square

Well it's not really square and it's not like I thought it would look. I imagined a more Greek type ampitheatre but I still like it and I really like the tree lined path.

one.jpg

five.jpg

seven.jpg
The Playground

two.jpg

six.jpg

four.jpg

three.jpg
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 02 Jul 2022, 07:40

Friday 1st July

Kalo Mina (Good Month)

For those that don’t know it’s a traditional Greek greeting on the first day of every month to family, friends and people they meet.

view.jpg

I’m awake at 7.30am and up and around trying to think of something interesting to say before publishing Thursdays blog. Liz wakes with a bad headache even though I did warn her she was drinking far too much water while I was on the beer yesterday. She will never learn!

She decides on a lazy morning reading and I’m off up the road past the Kantino Panorama and off on the track to the left. And 45 minutes after leaving the apartment I’m up at the Pighi Monastery.

view1.jpg

As soon as you get off the road you get the strong aroma of the Oregano and the views are just incredible. The sort you can never really capture using a camera.

I spend 10 0r 15 minutes to get my breath, although the walk is in stages with a few fairly level bits as well as the steep bits.

church.jpg

Coming back down is obviously easier and you get the views of the village all in front of you but I’m also on the look out for the snakes. I keep looking each year and I can never capture them on camera which annoys me but the David Attenborough kick in and I find, or think I find, recent evidence in the dust.

snake.jpg

I’m back at the road now and cut through by Savesti Apartments (a fantastic place and great family) and walk a very familiar path down past the museum and turn right at Zoe’s Taverna and back to number 20. We have had very good reports from a few folk saying how good the museum is now with the Mansion House complete saying it’s well worth an hour of your time and good value at €4.00 each.

path.jpg

I find Liz reading, well snoozing, on the terrace with coffee. Well into holiday mode it seems.

I have yet another shower, you know the type as when you are out and dry yourself you are soon wetter than when in the actual shower. Yes the temperatures are on the way up and the Cicada season is in full swing and in noise. Well a very nice noise as I like it.

The plan is a light meal at Scena followed by a few beers at The Rainbow and back for a nap before catching the bus for a night on the town. Plans…..

The first bit started reasonably well as Scena is open and only doing the snack type meals so I choose the Burger and Liz plumps for the Club Sandwich. The nice young girl explains the full menu starts at 4pm. Well just look at the pictures. The portion sizes are far more than expected but I have to say great quality and nice tasting but I only just managed to finish and Liz gave up.

club.jpg
Scena Club Sandwich

burger.jpg
Scena Burger

The bar has the Greek locals as usual and we are slowly joined by numerous others both known and a couple of new people who we meet for the first time. Neil takes a tumble which I’ll not describe in full but left some in fits of laughter and me covered in wine!

Plans...So we stay too long in this very strange time warp of fun and laughter and now it’s too late for a nap etc….

We say our fond goodbyes to James, Neils brother, who will be on the boat tomorrow after such a fleeting visit and he’s a good bloke who is great fun to be with and we are now friends for life no doubt. John, who also goes tomorrow, and we have only met for the first time buys Liz a bunch of flowers which brings a tear to her eyes. More about that tomorrow.

The plan changes and we are welcomed again by Zoe of Zoe’s Taverna up above the bars and are encouraged to take table number one right at the front.

dish.jpg
Tzatziki

The Tzatziki starter with bread is very creamy and full of Garlic but not overpowering like some and Liz follows this with the Chicken in Sauce and I’ve gone for the Chicken in Orange and Lemon.

chicken.jpg
Chicken in sauce

chicken1.jpg
Chicken in Orange and Lemon

A nice on the house cake finished the meal.

comp.jpg
Complimentary Cake

We have to say this was one of the best meals we have ever had on Symi, the sauces were just incredible with so much taste, and we will surely have another visit this time.

We know all Symi days like this must end but it’s been one of those you want to go on forever.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 03 Jul 2022, 07:13

Saturday 2nd July

birth.jpg

The reason for the flowers is that it is Liz’s birthday and our Ruby (40th) wedding anniversary and Liz has brought some of the cards she was given at home before we left.

We have planned a night out later but apart from that nothing else.

I wake up quite early but force myself to have a couple of hours more rest before getting up just before 9am. A small bacon sandwich and shower with Liz on the 10.30am bus and me off down the road. Just to explain we had the bacon sandwich before we each had a separate shower. There are no showers on the bus!

A young couple are up by the Milos Windmill and walking up the steps to the open door before they realise it’s not a museum and holiday makers are actually staying there.

I will never tire of the views walking both down and up the road and in a morning heading down it can be quite peaceful as most of the scooter and bike riders turn off the engines and free-wheel down to save on Petrol. You see and take in so much more on Symi if you walk.

clock.jpg

As I’m taking things so easy this year Liz is already sat waiting across from the bus stop in the morning heat. We meander round and instead of our usual stop in Comfy Seats we carry on right round to the boat yard and stop for a coffee at the Carnagio.

boat.jpg

Now it’s a wonderful setting with a few men working on their boats and the fish swimming in the clear water just below your feet but the coffee was very poor. We don’t like to be negative when on Symi but we have to say how we see and feel.

As the temperatures are certainly on the rise this part of Gialos is extremely hot in the mid day sun.

bus.jpg

As we wander back around by the clock tower we see the door is open with some sort of virtual slide show inside of Symi. Trust me, just do the real thing and live and feel it.

We finally on our eighth visit go and have a look at the leather art of Takis. I’ve followed him on Facebook for quite a while and share his posts quite a lot.

Now if you ever here on Symi as Takis always says “Come to Symi to see me”

We spend a little time talking and he realises who I am with the comment “Stephen, the man with the nice pictures” Now I do like taking the odd photo, as you should know if you are reading this but I also paint scenes of Symi too. Takis pays me some very nice compliments and I just wish we had the money to buy his works. I do not class myself as a “proper artist”.

http://takisleatherfashion.com/index.html

We wander the back lanes for a while before we take a table in To Spitiko, one with big fans pointing at it! Jordana bursts into a rendition of Happy Birthday as we take our seats. Liz really doesn’t want anything rich or too filling so goes for the Giant Beans and I have a Chicken Giros Pitta. We really like the views at lunch from here and as we leave with a great big hug for us both from Jordana, they get an influx of couples which is great to see.

Beans.jpg

I’m off up the road with my small water which is 50 cents at the kiosk and Liz waits for the yellow bus and of course she beats me to the Rainbow.

One of the regular Symi visitors is leaving on Sunday so passes on the “secret toaster” to us which is a toaster a couple bought and left to pass around to those in need. So toast in the morning from now on!

Back at number 20 we have a rest and yet another shower, one of those showers in my case where more water ends up out of the shower than in. We are in Greece!

Venturing out at nearly 8pm when the heat is up is only for the brave. We are brave enough as we have booked a table at the new Kali Strata Restaurant where The Olive Tree used to be. We are still the first in but within minutes it’s almost full which is a very good sign for the family running this place.

ks.jpg

feta.jpg

We share a fresh tasting Bouyiourdi with toasted bread and we both opt for the Sea Bass which is filleted without bones and served with a Cauliflower puree and Greek Horta and we had chips on the side (home made). The fish is well cooked but with a crisp skin which I think most people will eat with pleasure. Please note D&E you will love this place!

bass.jpg

The wine and the service is worth mentioning too and it seems to be the up and coming place to eat on Symi. This is so welcome for us village lovers.

More complimentary cake and Mastika before we finally head home calling in the supermarket for more drinks and eggs.

goodnight.jpg

A nightcap of Metaxa before bed.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 04 Jul 2022, 07:36

Sunday 3rd July

Walking. Let’s talk about walking.

Anyone who has read my blogs will know I love walking on Symi and today is one of those days where I fancy a walk. So after a couple of slices of toast, cheese, Orange juice and coffee I’m out at 9.30am walking.

square.jpg
Square from above

Liz wants a very lazy day reading and doing a little washing….probably a lot more reading than washing.

I head up to the village square and take the “easy route” up the road and soon find the wild chickens with chicks following behind. It makes me think of my girls (hens) at home and just hope they are OK and still laying well.

view.jpg

The views of the harbour between the tall pine trees is well worth the walk up the road.

Now the plan, intention, stupidity is to go down the Kataraktis or old steps which leads down behind the square at Gialos then up the hill over to Nimborio, back along the coast road and back up the road after the port.

old steps.jpg
The old steps

By the time I’ve negotiated the old steps the heat and my legs and back have me beat. I instead I head round to Nos Beach and back and call in the new supermarket just past the clock tower. I find a new drink, a Pineapple Fanta which I enjoy.

The King Saron is in so I have to negotiate the day trippers who may turn into visitors in the future. More would, no doubt, if they escaped the harbour and see the other side of Symi up in the village.

I grab a water at the kiosk before I plod up the road (no sign of the power walks of previous years) and I take a left at the windmills and down the road for a change. It’s not far back to Taxiarchis from the junction on the Pedi Road.

view1.jpg

I find Liz reading in the shade and she’s already read half a book this morning. The Kindle is the most used gadget on our holidays. I take 10 minutes inside taking on water and juice before having an hour sat outside having already done over 11,000 steps in the heat this morning. A relaxing hour looking down into the Pedi Valley before heading up to The Rainbow for afternoon beers.

view 2.jpg

Some more familiar faces from the years before appear before we head down the Kali Strata in the late afternoon sun. We have a nice coffee and decide where to eat.

We go for The Dolphin, most visitors go too for a pizza, where we bump into regular visitors, K&J, and we have a fantastic Pollo a la Creme Spaghetti and a Carbonara Pizza. We can’t finish so take half the Pizza as a takeaway.

Pizza.jpg

pasta.jpg

I was hoping to take photos of the reflections in the harbour but tiredness takes over and we take a Taxi back up to the village Hotel and walk downhill back to number 20.

Walking- the steps so far:

Friday 24th 6734
Saturday 25th 12350
Sunday 26th 8988
Monday 27th 15366
Tuesday 28th 12507
Wednesday 29th 9208
Thursday 30th 7582
Friday 1st July 1065
Saturday 2nd 13779
Sunday 3rd 15318

A glass of wine and bed as we are totally zonked!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 04 Jul 2022, 09:19

The Dolphin - D always says it’s the best pizza & pasta place - and not just on Sými.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Thomasdk » 04 Jul 2022, 09:58

Loving each photo. Any chance you could get some of the sea also? I miss that blue color and the little fish.
Thomasdk
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports