How are they?

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

How are they?

Postby Janet E » 29 Jul 2021, 15:44

Husband, Peter, and I no longer travel but for many a year our prime destination was the Greek Islands, spending 5 weeks each year in various locations. We enjoyed our visits to Symi, wandering off each morning, letting our feet take us where they will, returning for a refreshing drink in the late afternoon before showers and heading out to one of the many tavernas later in the evening. Greece has had a profound effect on how we live our lives today, and we often reflect on, not only the islands visited but on various characters that remain firmly in our minds. The other day, we thought about Hugo Tyler, Jean (formerly of '& tonic') Manship and Coby, not forgetting Kojak. We would love to hear about how they are and if they are still on the island, or in Kojak's case whether he still visits. So, I leave this with members, in the hope that whatever the news is, it is good news.
Janet E
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: How are they?

Postby Allan » 29 Jul 2021, 17:24

Hello Janet and welcome.

Sorry to hear you no longer travel. Time marches on and, at least in my case, travel becomes more difficult. We still have our memories though.

The last time I saw Hugo was at a wedding in 2017 and he was in fine spirits then. Jean is still around though the bar has changed hands twice in recent years and It was firmly closed when I last visited in 2020. Kojak still visits, usually twice a year though he no longer posts messages here.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Janet E » 30 Jul 2021, 12:21

Thanks Alan for the update. Good to hear all are fine. Coby was the artist who took an evening walking tour finishing at her home high up in the village where you could view her work (no pressure to buy) and a glass of wine. I am not sure what nationality she was, but have a feeling she may be Dutch.
Janet E
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby D and E » 30 Jul 2021, 13:32

Hi Janet,

Like many we have been prevented from visiting "Paradise" since our visits in 2019.

We indeed did see Coby going around Yialos during our second visit in October and she looked well and greeted us as she does so many regular visitors.

We have several pieces of Coby's work and recall buying them when she used to exhibit at the back of the Town Square. Like so many bits and pieces we have brought home they are a constant reminder of how lucky we have been to firstly find Symi and then to visit so often over the last 25 years. We have had the pleasure of meeting Hugo and on one of our journeys home had the good fortune to spend a few hours with the legendary Kojak who regaled us with great stories of his visits.

We are so looking forward to returning once things settle down and as ever we will do our daily blog on this site which we always hope attracts new visitors and connects with those who love this wonderful island. Allan has archived all the Trip Reports that several of us have written over the years and we have found some solace in rereading these during Lockdown.

Take care,

D&E
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Janet E » 31 Jul 2021, 11:11

Hi D and E,

Thank you for your reply. Good to hear Coby is still on the island.

I kept diaries of our visits to Greece. They proved useful when we returned to islands, to read where we had walked etc. and the prices we paid (originally drachmas) in the tavernas etc. Like your blogs, here on Symi Chat, my diaries are packed with memories. I am not doing a sales pitch here, but just to say, I have incorporated a number of our memories into my published novel, short stories, travelogues and recipes. Like you, I hope those who read them will be inspired to visit this beautiful and diverse country. I now write a regular blog covering our lives and the village we live in, here in the UK.

I hope it isn't too long before you are able to return to Symi. I am sure you, along with other regular visitors, will be welcomed back with open arms, and probably a few tears too.

Take care
Janet
Janet E
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Symi Chat