Food

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Food

Postby Mr Dean » 12 May 2024, 14:55

Here today and we love it, but can we have some good advice on restaurant’s what is your favourites.
Mr Dean
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Food

Postby Lisa B » 12 May 2024, 20:55

How long are you there for? Kali Strata in the village, Seame at the harbour. Everyone will say a different place. TBH you can't have a bad meal anywhere. Enjoy, so jealous.
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 13 May 2024, 10:11

Mr Dean wrote:Here today and we love it, but can we have some good advice on restaurant’s what is your favourites.

Well Mr Dean - this is a subject matter very close to our hearts as many a reader of our visits will testify to.

Firstly if you are UP then the marvellous Zoë does the best stifado and all her other traditional dishes are top notch. Just keep walking up the Kali beyond the two Tavernas and you will find Zoë on your left on the corner.

For something a bit different but again excellent there is the Kali Strata Restaurant just down a few steps from the Rainbow Bar on the Kali. We have had to book the last few times but worth it.

And of course there is the long-standing George and Maria taverna right next door to the Rainbow that is always our First Night venue and has been for over 25 years. Very traditional and we usually have a mezes of small plates (3 to 5 does us).

Once you venture DOWN there is just a huge amount of choice. Our favourite is Tholos. This is the furthest out venue beyond the boatyard. This has proven to be the most popular restaurant on the island and booking is advisable. The setting is truly amazing looking back into the harbour and up into Chorio. The food equals the view. And of course try the lemon potatoes.

Trata in the heart of the harbour is another of our always visit places. Very traditional and again last year it was busy every night.

Haris taverna along the harbour side from Trata does some great seafood and pasta dishes.

The Dolphin pizza and pasta place just over the “harbour bridge” is very reasonably priced and is popular with the locals. D thinks they cook the best pasta.

As you cross the harbour bridge towards the Dolphin you will see on your left Taverna Vasilis - very traditional menu. Don’t be put off if there aren’t many people in - we weren’t and we love the food there. The goat in lemon is one of D’s favourites.

At lunchtime we are very fond of Elpida’s on the way to the Clocktower. A mezes in Elpida’s with an ouzo and a retsina is our idea of heaven.

If there is the possibility of visiting the Daphne Taverna at Tolis Beach - Symi Tours has offered minibus trips in past years - this is well worth visiting.

All the tavernas on the beaches are excellent in our opinion and only if our lives depended on it would we choose Marathounda as St.Nicks, Agia Marina and Nanou are superb.

And whilst not a restaurant the Round The Island on Poseidon offers the most memorable BBQ.

And we would be amiss if not mentioning Kaboz next to the Nireus Hotel as this is another super seaside venue.

The fact is that in all our years we have never had a truly bad dining experience.

Enjoy and perhaps post what you think of the places you visit.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby silverfox » 13 May 2024, 11:26

All of the above.

If you have the time read a few of the blogs as the food doesn't change that much over the years.

The Kali Strata is a good shout for a special meal.

Beef in Metaxa is a favourite at Georgios on the first night.

The secret Garden is also very nice if you are up top.

The garlic potatoes at Trata are special, the Lemon Potatoes at Tholos and the orange Chicken at Zoe's.

Too many to list to be honest.

Just enjoy and we would love updates.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Mr Dean » 13 May 2024, 14:34

Thank you Lisa b and a wow to d@E for that wonderful answer, all I can say at the end of our 10 nights I will post what and where we ate, second night tonight.
Mr Dean
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 13 May 2024, 16:03

Look forward to it :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops2 » 13 May 2024, 19:17

Reading back D& E and Silverfox's replies were like a mini blog. Agree with all places mentioned and will look forward to your posts with your experiences.
Pollychops2
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby silverfox » 13 May 2024, 23:44

I just can't wait until D&E start their blog in a few weeks time!

We need our fix.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby bill » 16 May 2024, 06:49

I do miss the original Aris, "A present from me to you". Fish was always fantastic, and a great place to watch the harbour 'walk' by.

Surprised nobody has mentioned "Neraida", always good food and tucked away.
bill
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 16 May 2024, 10:41

Ahhh Neraida, a must go to for their lamb chops. Not sure if it wasn't Silverfox that brought them to my attention? :D :?:
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops2 » 16 May 2024, 15:34

Another one I clearly forgot was Taverna Meraklis, never had to book a table however, it is always full. the two lads and the young lady always seem to be run off their feet. Good menu and never had a bad meal there.
Down the side street past Symi tours.
Pollychops2
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby silverfox » 16 May 2024, 22:10

All good advice.

I wonder how Mr Dean is going on? :D
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 16 May 2024, 23:12

Was it you that recommended the lamb chops at Neraida? I bet Mr Dean is having a great time, hos could he not!?! :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 17 May 2024, 19:39

Lisa B wrote:Was it you that recommended the lamb chops at Neraida? I bet Mr Dean is having a great time, hos could he not!?! :)

I think it was me but I would have to look back. I do love Lamb Chops when in Greece. :P
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 17 May 2024, 22:56

Well if it was you, I'm forever grateful. :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to Symi Chat