24 time lapse video of Symi Harbour from Chorio

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Postby DEMITRIUS » 07 Aug 2014, 12:47

Just got back from our much too short visit (honeymoon�!) from Symi� of course we're already suffering withdrawal symptoms here in albeit sunny Hackney�) Meantime here's the view of the harbour from Villa George taken last Sunday from 6.15 am till the same time next day. (Look how fast the sunrises at the end�)
Love and best wishes to all the new friends that Linda and I made...
DEMITRIUS
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Allan » 07 Aug 2014, 14:59

Excellent video!

Reminds me of the many, many hours spent watching that view, marvelling at the antics of some of the boats as they attempted to find a parking space in the harbour. (not correct nautical terms, I know)

Thanks for posting it Demitrius and congratulations on your wedding. :D
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gemma1 » 09 Aug 2014, 09:59

Wonderful :) I never realised how many times in 24 hours a Dodekanisos vehicle comes and goes in Symi harbour. Just hope my week in Symi doesn't flash by quite as quickly - though it would be fast forward through the working week sometimes ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby DEMITRIUS » 09 Aug 2014, 11:03

Allan and Gemma,
Thanks for your feed back and glad you enjoyed it. This was taken last Sunday which maybe a "slow" day. The day before I made a shorter film as a test recording only the first two hours of the day and it is much more "hectic"�
It's the first time I've made such a video and was surprised by such a lot of activity and especially the speed of the sunrise which I have always regarded as such a sublime way to start the day. I intend to do more when I return next year hopefully including the Kalistrata...
DEMITRIUS
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Allan » 09 Aug 2014, 14:07

I love timelapse videos and have played with them a lot, with varying degrees of success (mostly rubbish to be honest). Sadly I don't have the wonderful Villa George view these days although the Pedi valley can look interesting when there are clouds about:

I'd like to do more but the problem is finding a place for the camera where I can keep an eye on it for several hours and there probably isn't much interest in "Timelapse view from the bar" videos. :D
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby DEMITRIUS » 09 Aug 2014, 15:02

Allan, yes it was problematic filming� (luckily, having a private balcony meant I didn't have the worry of leaving the camera as such�) my main problems was the combination of the strong sun and gathering wind. I had to try to shade the camera from getting hot but was constantly having to attend to the sun-umbrella in case it blew over and also adjust it as the shade moved during the day. If I had waited until the next day it wouldn't have been possible as the wind was so strong that all boats to the beaches were cancelled. (You can see in my film that the sea gets rougher through the day.)
I made another shorter time-lapse of the boat trip back from Nanou stopping at the various beaches (clamping the camera with my hand to the side of the boat to keep it steady) but to be honest, although the quality was surprisingly good, it wasn't that interesting� I may still
post it on YouTube.
As for your idea of time lapsing a bar, I don't think that it's such a bad idea. You never know until you see the final result, there may well be something of interest that you hadn't foreseen�
I think your Pedi Sunset is beautiful by the way� it would be interesting to see a longer version starting earlier in the day..
DEMITRIUS
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Andy W » 09 Aug 2014, 16:02

"there probably isn't much interest in "Timelapse view from the bar" videos"
I don't know, Allan. There's a similarity between the level in the glasses getting lower, then being refilled, then getting lower again (repeat as often as you can afford it) and the yachts, fishing boats, and ferries sailing in and out of the harbour. I suspect there's a sort of pattern to the flows of people past the kafenions in Chorio too, but I've never managed to stay there long enough and sober enough to spot it. Keeping the camera steady would be a problem in the later stages, too
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Symi Chat