Laid up

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Laid up

Postby Pollychops » 30 Apr 2014, 16:35

I am now post op 5 weeks and progressing well, the swelling has gone down, sutures out but still have the funny shoe to keep me off my toes. It's been very frustrating and at times very boring however, I have spent the last couple of days going through all of the posts on the forum, fantastic reading and reminders of how wonderful Symi is. We are 9 weeks to the day till our return and can't wait. I came across one post which shows some old video footage of arriving by boat, it goes back several years and it's great to see Symi back then, it's in the archive section under misc and it's called Symi old film. If you haven't seen it search it as it's worthwhile. Anyway back to resting the foot.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Laid up

Postby Gemma1 » 01 May 2014, 08:13

Good luck with your recovery Polly - a trip to Symi is a good reason to get back on your feet ASAP ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Laid up

Postby Kon » 01 May 2014, 08:29

Get that foot rested and ready for Symi.Something to look forward to. 8-)
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Laid up

Postby Pollychops » 04 May 2014, 11:23

It's so boring, not being able to do simple things around the house and really frustrating having two dogs who are constantly at me to take them for walks. I have however, managed to keep looking at the webcam which brightens my days. I even managed to log on when the Blue Star Ferry was docking in the harbour on the Wednesday, the same time we would be in July. It's a big one, when docked it filled all of the screen!!! Roll on July.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Laid up

Postby Kojak » 04 May 2014, 14:16

Hope you make a speedy recovery Pollychops. I had to miss Symi one year because of an operation on my neck following a bad whiplash injury. It was doubly frustrating because the rest of the crowd were there living it up. :evil:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Laid up

Postby Pollychops » 04 May 2014, 15:52

Thanks Kojak, no way am I missing Symi I should be ok by then, won't be doing a lot of walking.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Laid up

Postby Pollychops » 12 May 2014, 16:41

Now seven weeks into this and hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel, xray on Thursday and if ok should be allowed to wear firm soled shoes. Fingers crossed all goes well then back to walking again and build up the strength in my foot. Only seven weeks and two days to go before we depart for Symi again.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Laid up

Postby JeanW » 12 May 2014, 22:50

Hello Pollychops wishing you a speedy recovery, Last year I travelled to Symi independently and stayed for 1 month, I arrived on the magnificent Blue Star Diagoros which you mention. What a treat that was for me.

This year I am going September with Olympic and staying at Pedi.
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Laid up

Postby Pollychops » 17 May 2014, 08:14

Great news, X-ray shows the joint has fused and I can resume normal activities I.e walking normally without the support shoe. It felt weird when I took my first step. I can now slowly over the next few weeks build up the strength in my foot and should be able to try gentle jogging in 4/6 weeks. As I said to my consultant 'jogging isn't normally on my agenda' still can't put a normal shoe on as the swelling is still there but hopefully over this weekend it will reduce. We are six weeks from Departure and maybe by that time my walking will improve enough to let me do some walking on Symi. Either way the kayak is still coming with me.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Laid up

Postby Gemma1 » 17 May 2014, 08:56

That's great news Pollychops :) I broke my wrist last October and couldn't wait to get the pot off and get back to 'normal'. Didn't realise how vulnerable and weak it would feel without the plaster cast to support it though. It's fine now though still can't bear as much weight as the other one. It's lovely that you should be able to do some walking in Symi :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Laid up

Postby Pollychops » 20 May 2014, 20:30

Since not using the special shoe, the front part of my foot where the surgery took place is fine however, as my foot was in a raised position for the term my ankle ligaments and muscles have weakened resulting in very bad swelling and very painful when I put weight on it. I still can't put any shoes on the foot however, I have purchased a great pair of Mover sandals from Clarkes which are extremely comfortable and have great arch support with an air sole. Hopefully as the time passes it will improve.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Laid up

Postby Pollychops » 27 May 2014, 21:11

Today for the first time in 58 days I managed to fit a shoe onto my foot...................problem was it took 15 long and sometimes painful minutes to remove it. Me thinks I will keep to my sandals for another week.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Laid up

Postby Pollychops » 16 Jun 2014, 18:21

With just over two weeks to before we depart for Symi my foot is making a great recovery. Still struggling to get shoes on so has just resorted to wearing the sandals. I have none of the pain I had before the op and the only problem I get now is the swelling however, this will take a number of months to dissipate.
I have doing a small amount of walking short distances to see how it performs and by doing 1mile at a time it's holding up. I do enjoy the walk to Nimborio over the top and the road walk back so hopefully I will be able to do that at least once. Mind you I am still taking the kayak.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Laid up

Postby Kojak » 16 Jun 2014, 23:51

Good to hear you are making good progress Pollychops but don't overdo it on Symi!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Laid up

Postby Pollychops » 04 Jul 2014, 16:44

Due to the wind the kayak was grounded as were the taxi boats as the seas were rough, so I managed a slow walk to Nimborio and it held out so progress is being made. I have never experienced wind like this before, it was fairly brisk and lunch at Maria's was an event as several times the gusts blew through we had to hold onto the bottles on the tables. Mind you the cool breeze is appreciated in this heat.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Laid up

Postby Gemma1 » 05 Jul 2014, 08:45

It was the same in Sissi, Crete yesterday too Pollychops - from the photos I saw the sea was very rough and reports are that it was very windy there.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Laid up

Postby Pollychops » 05 Jul 2014, 17:33

All back to normal this morning with a light breeze, hope that's the end of the high winds.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Laid up

Postby muppet » 07 Jul 2014, 18:11

Hope so. Have a wonderful holiday.
muppet
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to Symi Chat