The DODEKANISOS EXPRESS

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

The DODEKANISOS EXPRESS

Postby TimD » 03 Jul 2014, 14:21

Arriving in Symi on Friday in two weeks, after a 14-year absence. I like to think that nothing has changed, but I know that's an impossible dream!

We wanted to take the 'proper' ferry from Rhodes via Panormitis, but the shaky online booking system claimed there were no places. So have booked us on the DODEKANISOS EXPRESS. This is where I ask for advice.....

My wife absolutely hates travelling sealed up in a catamaran ferry and I see from pictures on the web that DODEKANISOS EXPRESS appears to have some seats outside in the breeze. Can anyone tell me if passengers are allowed to use the deck seats and, if so, how do I wangle them?

Is it a matter of being first on board? The Cat sails from Rhodes at 08.30 - just how early should one get to the port to stand a chance of sitting outside?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Tim
TimD
Starting Visitor

The DODEKANISOS EXPRESS

Postby Robert » 03 Jul 2014, 14:33

First, if you want to go via Panormitis you need to book it as such - i.e. 2 steps - that is probably why it did not work
But anyway if you have booked now then you might like to know that Symi Tours are running a minibus tour their from the port twice a week. Cost 7 euros (lunch at Marathunda - take picnic or use taverna)
Yes the Express has outside seating and yes it is first come first seated. There is also standibng round the side and at the front.
Robert
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

The DODEKANISOS EXPRESS

Postby Andy W » 03 Jul 2014, 14:39

The outside seats on the Dodekanisos Express are like all the other seats on board, first-come-first-served. Boarding on an 08:30 departure won't start till about 07:45, if you arrive then there should be no problems. Locals travelling use this area (upper deck at the rear) as a smoking zone, so there's a fair turnover of passengers, especially as it can be extremely breezy depending on the wind direction on the day.

It is in fact possible to book on the Panagia Skiadeni via Panormitis, but you'll need to contact the shipping company (use the contact form on their website). They'll respond telling you how to do it. I don't think they're in any hurry to fix the on-line booking system because most people travelling to Symi as a one-way or period return trip are very annoyed if they find they have to travel via Panormitis. The current arrangements stop them doing this by mistake. Day returns from Rhodes on this ferry are mostly sold through local agents, not directly on line.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

The DODEKANISOS EXPRESS

Postby TimD » 03 Jul 2014, 21:36

Thanks, both. In fact, we weren't going to get off at Panormitis - we just enjoy the longer boat journey.

Andy: just the info I needed. We'll be on the spot to board Dodekanisos Express by 07.45 - and take our chances with the breeze outside.

A few days ago, the Panagia Skiadeni was showing online at as bookable, but when I came to book yesterday, 17, 18, 19 July all showed 'not available'. Then, too late, I found go-ferry.com, where all these dates were bookable for both ferries.

I guess you are correct and the shipping company deliberately shows the longer journey as unavailable to avoid complaints.

Hey ho, I'm sure it will all work out fine once we are there - thanks again for the advice.
TimD
TimD
Starting Visitor

Return to Symi Chat