Olympic Flight change

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Olympic Flight change

Postby Gemma1 » 18 Apr 2014, 00:30

Arrived home from work to find a letter from Olympic advising of a flight change. It's not major at 2 hours and 10 minutes but instead of leaving at 0900 it now leaves at 0650. I was planning on getting the 0550 train from Leeds and OH was going to drop me at the station on his way to work. Now it looks like I'll have to get a taxi to the station and get a train that leaves in the middle of the night. On the plus side at least there are trains at that time. Just hope the neighbours (that's you Kojak ;) ) aren't too noisy coming home as I'll be so shattered it will probably be a quick drink at The Sunrise and straight to bed.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Olympic Flight change

Postby Andy W » 18 Apr 2014, 08:50

Sorry about the bad news, Gemma.
What I find particularly bad about this sort of thing is that the package tour operators (and I'm not singling out Olympic here) sell holidays based on flights they know may not operate at all, or may operate at different times. That's because the Air Traffic Control slots for flights across Europe are only agreed in February each year for the summer charters (and near-charters). Then, when the accurate times are known, they delay telling travellers until after it is effectively too late for them to back out and make other arrangements.
British holidaymakers seem to suffer particularly from this. Maybe it's because the British tend to book a lot earlier than is normal in other countries.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Olympic Flight change

Postby Kojak » 18 Apr 2014, 13:25

I got the same letter yesterday, Gemma. It's a much earlier start but I've abandoned the train anyway since Transpennine express cut out a lot of stops at my local station. Taxi fare to Preston plus train fares equal the cost of taking the car. It's also much quicker by car. They always tell us to leave the car and use public transport but often the transport isn't there!

As for a silent return home - I'll try, but you know what these Greek doors are like... ;) ;) ;)
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Olympic Flight change

Postby Gemma1 » 19 Apr 2014, 09:16

I did consider taking the car for about a second kojak. However as just the thought of driving on the M62 breaks me out into a cold sweat I soon dismissed that idea. Hopefully I can have a snooze on the plane and at least I'll have plenty of time to wander round Rhodes old town before the ferry ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Olympic Flight change

Postby Colette » 19 Apr 2014, 16:53

I had the same letter, so it will mean we are all arriving earlier in Rodos, wonder what we'll do to pass the time?? 8-)

In addition I've had a phone call this afternoon changing the time of my flight in June, it will mean an overnighter in Rodos but I'm not too bothered as it's a 3 week holiday and as I'm quite easy going I'm not going to get het up about it - and I don't have to get up in the middle of the night before my flight :)
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Olympic Flight change

Postby Gemma1 » 20 Apr 2014, 09:41

I had to do the overnight in Rhodes when I went to Halki last year Colette - though I knew I would when I booked due to the early afternoon flight. Olympic provided accommodation in Pefkos which was bit of a trail from the airport but I arrived in time for a late dinner ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Symi Chat