Symi Ripoff Corner?

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Symi Ripoff Corner?

Postby Greg73 » 04 Sep 2006, 21:40

Ate at Symi Corner a cafe in Yialo, ordered an espresso freddo and spinach pie, I instead received a frappe for 4euros and a inflated piece of filo dough for a few more euros, which had 1 teaspoon of spinach feta mix inside.

I was on Symi for about a week and didn't notice any other cafes cutting corners like this. Just wondering if this is a constant problem at this cafe.
Greg73
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Symi Ripoff Corner?

Postby SueO » 05 Sep 2006, 18:58

Hi Greg

Afraid I can't comment on your query as we've not been to Symi yet this year and I'm not sure I can remember the place you mention. That said, we've very rarely felt ripped off on the island so maybe they were just having a bad day :o

Anyway, as you've not had any other replies, I thought I'd at least respond to you and welcome you as a new member. :)

Did you enjoy Symi?
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Symi Ripoff Corner?

Postby benedetti » 05 Sep 2006, 20:53

Hello Greg, I have been coming to Symi since the 80's and have never felt ripped off. I do hpe you enjoyed the rest of your hols and maybe it was a wee mistake.
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Symi Ripoff Corner?

Postby Sheila and Andrew » 05 Sep 2006, 21:30

Most establishments in Yialos appear to operate an unofficial two-tier pricing structure, a higher one for daytrippers :P and a lower one for those staying on the island :D . Best to avoid Yialos establishments when the day boats are in - unless you are already known to the proprietor.
Sheila and Andrew

Symi Ripoff Corner?

Postby Dave » 05 Sep 2006, 21:51

4 euros for a coffe - sounds a tadge on the high side - bad day at the office ?
Mind you, I did receive a right Royal ripping-off on Symi during one visit.

Gail discovered the euro stash and managed to dissipate a lot of beer vouchers on a - okay, it was beautiful, but all those beer vouchers - gold bracelet modelled on a classic design from a museum in Athens ! :D

Found some unusual places to hide the brass since, though ! :twisted:
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Symi Ripoff Corner?

Postby Oor Willie » 06 Sep 2006, 00:29

You got off light Dave,last 2 years Heather has hit the jewelers on the first day then just when I thought the spending was over for the holiday she hit Takis for a handbag and a pair of sandals which cost more than the gold :o it realy cut down my booze money for the rest of the holiday, :cry: but then again she's worth it :D well at least that's what she tells me.
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Symi Ripoff Corner?

Postby benedetti » 06 Sep 2006, 09:41

Will you marry me Oor? Wee Jimmy watches me like a hawk and it's supposed to be us Scots that are mean.
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Symi Ripoff Corner?

Postby Geoff » 06 Sep 2006, 16:35

We stayed on Symi a week July 2006 and certaintly did not feel ripped off anywhere, bearing in mind the lovely surrounds, but I must say, Symi needs to be just a little careful .....

Rhodes, where we stayed for our 2nd week was either a) very noticably cheaper eg cocktails, dinner and/or b) much larger potions.

Tis fact that Symi is not cheap.
Geoff
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Symi Ripoff Corner?

Postby Oor Willie » 06 Sep 2006, 19:18

True Geoff, but it's a fact of life the further down the supply chain you go the dearer everything becomes and Symi is pretty far down the line. I am happy to pay a bit more in Symi than on the larger Greek Islands or in Spain because Symi is such a beautiful place to be.The Symi residents may have a different point of view as they are paying the higher prices all year not just for a couple of weeks in the summer as we do.
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Symi Ripoff Corner?

Postby Oor Willie » 06 Sep 2006, 19:28

[quote="benedetti"]

Will you marry me Oor? Wee Jimmy watches me like a hawk and it's supposed to be us Scots that are mean.
[/quote]
Benedetti,
:mrgreen: Thats the best offer I've had in years, lets be honest it's the only offer I've had in years, but I'm afraid I'll have to decline :cry: Heather says that she won't let me go as it's taken her 32 years to get me house trained and she can't be bothered looking for another mu g man at her age.
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Symi Ripoff Corner?

Postby Dave » 06 Sep 2006, 20:58

Oor Willie ...... first of all - why is Benedetti calling you " Oor" ? Without the aspirate at the beginning, is she commenting on your social life " :twisted:

Secondly, a point I've always made - with Symi, virtually everything you use/buy/eat is "bought in". Places such as Rodos, Kos, the Peloponnese, Corfu - a lot of local produce. Symi will always be more pricey - come on, even though it's guaranteed by Athens, even the tap water is imported.

You want the cheapest, combined with some culture ( and how) and ease of access, the Peloponnese takes some beating. You want the delight of Symi, I'm araid it comes with a premium.
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Symi Ripoff Corner?

Postby benedetti » 06 Sep 2006, 21:36

The milk and breid is the same price on Arran as it is in Scotland.
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Symi Ripoff Corner?

Postby Oor Willie » 06 Sep 2006, 23:20

One of Heather's cousins lived on Arran after retiring and coming back north from Newbury and she reckoned Arran was quite an expensive place to live even compared to the London commuter belt,and moved back to mainland Scotland after about 3 years.
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Symi Ripoff Corner?

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 07 Sep 2006, 08:40

As you know, I go up to Broome quite regularly. Its almost 300kms north of Perth and almost everything comes up by road train or boat.Beer, which is very dear to my heart ;) is actually cheaper in Broome, both draught in the pubs and take-away from the bottle shops. Makes you think we are getting ripped off down in Perth.
All other things, milk, bread, meat etc are very similar prices to Perth.
Symi has always been a little on the high side in comparison to other islands. :?:
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Symi Ripoff Corner?

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 07 Sep 2006, 08:42

Slips...thats 3000kms not 300. Strewth, 300 is just "down the road" 8-)
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Symi Ripoff Corner?

Postby benedetti » 07 Sep 2006, 10:22

My family live on Arran and my mother is always moaning about the cost of stuff and the lack of choice. My sister loves it and lives in a converted cow byre with a fantastic view of Goatfell. Symi always puts me in mind of a hot Arran but I'm afraid the locals could drink the Greeks under the table. (The things that make us great eh?)
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Symi Ripoff Corner?

Postby Dave » 07 Sep 2006, 20:25

Mmmmmmm ! Could that be like the purity of the stuff you can't buy as opposed to the additives in the stuff you can - Ola may know, brennevinseems to be the same ! :)
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Symi Chat