Harbour

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Harbour

Postby juliettehall6 » 05 Sep 2014, 20:17

Just returned from another fab holiday in Symi and after seeing the massive cruise ship docked last week was wondering if anyone could tell me the depth of the harbour.
juliettehall6
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Harbour

Postby Allan » 05 Sep 2014, 20:37

Welcome to the Chat Page Juliette.

I don't think we've had that question before. I gather it is 'very deep in the middle' but no actual figures.
The only online information I can find is SkipperGuide which puts the depth at 20 - 40m but is a bit vague about the actual shape of the harbour.

I'm sure someone on the island will know, Adriana perhaps.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Harbour

Postby juliettehall6 » 05 Sep 2014, 21:35

Thanks Allan. If you do manage to get a definitive answer then let me know. In the meantime I shall carry on with my research !!!
juliettehall6
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Harbour

Postby Allan » 05 Sep 2014, 22:07

This is a very small scale but gives some information.

[img]http://www.sailingissues.com/greekislands/simi_port.png [/img]

It suggests the depth is 10m where the cruise liner docks and 30 - 35m in the middle.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Harbour

Postby juliettehall6 » 06 Sep 2014, 15:32

Thanks for that Allan. That was just the info I was after. Cheers
juliettehall6
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Harbour

Postby NeilAmanda » 10 Sep 2014, 09:28

Its a shame that even larger cruise ships will be able to dock when the new terminal is built.

Regards

NeilAmanda
NeilAmanda
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Harbour

Postby Adriana » 11 Sep 2014, 09:01

The larger cruise ships usually anchor off Nimborio and bring guests assure in small boats. The main reason for the new commercial jetty is so that the big ferries like the Blue Star, which are essential for bringing goods and people to the island, are able to dock safely and to reduce the amount of heavy traffic round the narrow harbour road. The beer doesn't arrive by magic! It may also bring some much needed winter trade to the island in that all of Rhodes' harbours are vulnerable in an easterly swell which makes docking impossible so when the new Symi jetty is completed ships could be diverted to Symi to weather the storm. To survive economically Symi needs visitors of all kinds, including the people off cruise ships who stay a few hours, buy souvenirs, take lots of photographs and go away to tell everyone about the lovely port of Symi :)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Harbour

Postby Robert » 12 Sep 2014, 12:01

When is the new jetty going to be ready? progress looked pretty slow to me - and how will cars and lorries get up to the road I wonder?
Robert
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Harbour

Postby Adriana » 15 Sep 2014, 09:13

There is a slight difficulty because the giant bit fell off the pile driver and is lying in about 100 metres of water as it tumbled down into deep water when it fell off. The replacement is a long time coming.

They will be breaking through another road, apparently, which will connect with the road out of the town. This will be quite a feat of engineering as you may imagine.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Symi Chat