Patmos and Kalymnos

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Patmos and Kalymnos

Postby STEVE » 01 Mar 2015, 16:37

I hope I've put this in the right place! Wherever we go, we'll end our holiday on Symi :D

We're starting to plan our month in the Dodecanese for June. Flight to and from Rhodes was booked in December and we're waiting for the Spanos Summer timetable to be published, hopefully in around a months or so, before we can make any firm plans. We want to visit some islands we've stayed on before and some that are new to us and so we are doing a bit of research into where we might stay. At the moment, in the frame are Astypalea, Leros, Nissyros, Patmos and Kalymnos plus Symi, of course. With the exception of Astypalea, all are on the routes for the Spanos so getting there is straight forward. Astypalea is rather more difficult but we've been before and know how to do it and where we'd want to stay. Similarly, we've been to Leros and Nissyros before and know where we would stay there also if we decided to go again this year. Symi's easy, we'll stay at Frank's as usual :D

What we're after is any suggestions anyone might have for accommodation on Patmos and Kalymnos. We've only been to Patmos for the day in the past and our only sight of Kalymnos was from the rear deck of the Pride as we passed through the harbour a few years ago!

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Steve
STEVE
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Re: Patmos and Kalymnos

Postby Andy W » 01 Mar 2015, 18:44

As far as Patmos is concerned, it's one of the islands where you're absolutely besieged by accommodation owners as soon as you get off the ferry.I can't remember where I've stayed but never had a problem finding accommodation of good quality.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 01 Mar 2015, 19:29

I don't have personal recommendations for you Steve but I know that Kon stayed on Kalymnos during his Grand Tour last year. He was in the Panorama Studios in Myrties and seemed to enjoy it.

He still pops in here from time to time so maybe he'll reply and add some more detail for you or perhaps you could send him a PM.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JuliaB » 02 Mar 2015, 11:51

I agree with Andy that you'll be besieged with offers of accommodation as soon as you set foot on Patmos. We visited just for a couple of days last year and stayed at the Blue Bay Hotel - simple, clean room, good breakfast and a huge terrace complete with sun loungers overlooking the bay. You'll see the hotel on the hillside as you approach the island. www.bluebaypatmos.gr
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby STEVE » 02 Mar 2015, 17:16

Thanks all. I remember seeing the Blue Bay on the hillside when we had a day on Patmos a few years ago and it seems to get a good review in the Rough Guide. One to consider certainly.

Jenine told us last year that the Rough Guide was at last being completely re-written and that she'd been visited by the new writer/complier. Wonder when the new edition is being published.

Steve
STEVE
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby C Briedenhann » 04 Mar 2015, 14:14

Hi, A few years ago we stayed at Captains House in Patmos. The owner Katy was very friendly and accommodating. Her husband is a retired sea captain.

The place is basic and very clean. It is on the waterfront and I would recommend one of their seafacing rooms with a small balcony. Carole
C Briedenhann
Starting Visitor

Postby Robert » 28 Apr 2015, 13:58

My wife and I have been to Patmos twice in recent years and are going again this year. If you book well in advance and take advantage of their special deals the Porto Scoutari is hard to beat - stunning rooms - lovely pool and very tranquil. Highly recommended. As is Tzivaeri
a simply great eaterie - near the port = upstairs great views -s uperb food and lovely people. See trip advisor - some of the pictures are mine.
One note of caution - Symi - Patmos on the Dodecanese is a long trip - and it can get quite rough closer to Patmos - a stop-over on the way is not a bad idea!
Also we are f;lyeing london Athens Samos and then getting the catamaran to patmos the following day - before we head to Symi - our final destination - and always the best one - even though we do love patmos too!
Robert
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby STEVE » 05 May 2015, 13:10

Thanks all for your help and recommendations. All booked now inc. ferries. Patmos and Lipsi are the new first time destinations for us this time and we set off 4 weeks tomorrow.
STEVE
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Allan » 05 May 2015, 15:33

Good to hear you've got it all sorted out Steve, sounds like a very nice trip you've got planned there.
I've never been to Patmos (yet) but I really enjoyed a week on Lipsi a few years ago.
Don't forget to let us know how you get on!
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby STEVE » 05 May 2015, 20:47

Thanks Alan. We start with a night at the Hermes (significantly cheaper than it was last year) then five nights on Nissyros (a favourite from a previous holiday), six nights on Patmos, five nights on Lipsi, 8 nights on Symi followed by a final 3 nights at a favourite small hotel in Tholos on Rhodes.

The Pride moving its base for much of the week to Samos has caused us to rethink some ideas we had prior to the Spanos schedules becoming live but we're quite excited by what we've got planned and looking forward it immensely.

I'll try to come back on here from time to time to report how it's all progressing :D

Steve
STEVE
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Allan » 07 May 2015, 15:20

Wow, that's quite some Grand Tour Steve, over a full four weeks.
Me? Jealous? You bet! :D
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kon » 09 May 2015, 12:20

Hi Steve ,last year we stayed in Kalymnos .We stayed in Panorama holiday studios,in Myrties.its a beautiful place with a great view of Telindos across the sea.You can walk to the pier and catch a boat across to Telindos for a swim and lunch in one of many taverns there.Take a trip up to Agio Savva which will give you a panorama view of Kalymnos Harbor.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Symi Chat