Blue Star crossing

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Blue Star crossing

Postby Pollychops » 18 May 2015, 19:55

We arrive on the 15th June and were hoping to catch the 16.00 Blue Star from Rhodes. On looking at the timetable for that period it shows departure Rhodes 16.00 and no time for departure from Symi. Does that mean it does not stop at Symi on the Monday? If anyone can help we would be grateful.
Thanks
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Re: Blue Star crossing

Postby Allan » 18 May 2015, 20:30

This is really a job for Andy but I believe he's busy doing intensive on-the-spot research for us around the bars of Symi at the moment, meaning that a reply from him could take a little time so I'll give it a go for you.

As far as I know the Blue Star Diagoras (or Paros) only calls at Symi on Wednesday and Friday. Their online booking system is offering Rhodes-Symi crossings on June 12th, 17th and 19th. Nothing on the 15th. Perhaps you are looking at the wrong boat? The Blue Star 2 leaves Rhodes at 16.00 on Mondays but goes directly to Kos and then on to Santorini and Piraeus, not calling at Symi.

Sadly, Monday isn't a good day for ferry connections to Symi with only morning sailings :(
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Pollychops » 18 May 2015, 21:54

Hi Allan,
I think you are correct on this one. Having looked at the timetable it leaves Rhodes but doesn't stop at Symi. Now it looks like an overnight in Rhodes, any recommendations would be helpful.
Thanks
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 18 May 2015, 22:17

If you have a search around the posts on here you'll find several suggestions for accommodation on Rhodes. My personal favourite is the Plaza, partly because the owners are Symiot and the staff very welcoming but also because the all-you-can-eat breakfast is yummy! :D

The Hermes is another very popular (and probably slightly cheaper) alternative.

It's a bit of a trek out of town to Akandia for the 9.00 Panagia Skiadeni on Tuesday morning so unless you travel very light and like a walk I'd suggest you get a taxi.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andy W » 19 May 2015, 04:55

Yes,just to confirm. Blue Star ferries serve Symi on Wednesdays and Fridays from Rhodes. They run services from Rhodes to Kos and Piraeus via various combinations of islands six days a week, but the really big ferries, Blue Star 1 and 2, are incapable of docking at Symi because they are too long to fit into the harbour. This is one reason (the other is cruise ships) why a new ferry quay is under construction next to the petrol station, where there will be no length restriction.

And I'm writing this from a room in the Plaza Hotel in Rhodes....
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Jan » 22 May 2015, 15:16

An alternative overnight possibility is the Silvia/Sylvia, which is on the edge of the Old Town to the east. It's an easy downhill walk to your morning ferry and of course reception will order a taxi for you if you prefer not to walk. It's simple but clean, there's a souvlaki bar (patronised almost exclusively by locals) just down the road and has done us well on a number of ocacsions.

Jan
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 23 May 2015, 21:09

Thanks for the info, we have booked into Hermes, all looks ok and plenty of good reviews. Looking forward to spending the afternoon and evening in Rhodes Town, first time so plenty of time to take in the sights and enjoy a nice meal. Then off sailing on the 9.00.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to Symi Chat