Refugees

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Refugees

Postby Sue L » 21 Jun 2015, 14:20

A question for those living on Symi. We've seen the plight of the refugees on television, What can we visitors do to help? I was thinking about getting some crayons and paper for the children but thought I'd ask the question.
Cheers
Sue
Sue L
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Re: Refugees

Postby sootyandsweep » 02 Jul 2015, 15:39

A guy in Yorkshire has set up a donation line and if everyone in Europe donates approximately £3 it will pay the bail out cost. Already something like 75 thousand people have registered and paid!!
sootyandsweep
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Eliza » 03 Jul 2015, 08:36

Crowdfunding Greece is doing very well.Lets all give a little for the good times.
Eliza
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby sootyandsweep » 03 Jul 2015, 08:53

I will drink to that!! Enjoyed Greek island holidays for years - more than happy to give a little back.
sootyandsweep
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby silverfox » 03 Jul 2015, 18:30

I'm in Symi at the moment....no problems with the migrants....very quiet today!

I'm trying to spend as much with the locals up top and the ones I think deserve it down in the port!

Ps...it's been hot today!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 18 Aug 2015, 19:37

I know this is a fairly old thread but I thought I'd pop it back to the top of the list again to report that a group of volunteers on the island have started a fund-raising page at Everyclick: http://www.everyclick.com/solidaritysymi/info to raise money for the refugees. They have collecting tins for those in the island to contribute. Look out for the Solidarity Symi logo:

11822698_888030231252304_4136397183234933491_n.jpg

They have also acquired space in the old post office building (up the steps by the police station) to store donated items.
There is a lot of information on their Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Solidari ... 9481252379

11864766_893012977420696_987907132124726340_o.jpg
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Sue L » 18 Aug 2015, 21:29

Thanks Allen
I'll definitely do a donation this is what I was looking for we've been coming to Symi for 20 years when we first came the refugees were Iraqi now it's Syria it's been said in the blogs but I'll say it again what must the refugees think when they see the mega yachts in the harbour spending money lighting the water.
To the other contributors I know Greece has problems we travel independently so all the money we spend on Symi goes directly go economy of Symi the travel companies don't get a share.
Let's all hope for a better world where people don't have to flee for their lives.
OK so that's a bit idealistic.
I'm looking forward to my Symi holiday
Cheers
Sue
Sue L
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby SueO » 19 Aug 2015, 07:10

Thanks Allan - like SueL I've been hoping to find a way to help before we arrive in 4 weeks time. Will certainly look out for the Logo and make contributions whilst there but it's great to be able to do something NOW.

Sue - idealistic maybe but we can but hope. We too travel independently and we're very much looking forward to spreading our euros around the businesses, bars and tavernas of Symi!

SueO
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Val » 19 Aug 2015, 10:10

Thanks for the link Allan. I donated last night and it's so simple to do that. Thanks to Andrew Davies and whoever else was involved in setting this up. It seems unlikely that anybody in government intends to help these people so it's down to all of us to do what we can. The pictures coming from Syria are truly horrific and we need to give the refugees a hand to get on with their lives. Wouldn't we all want the same for our families? Lets all get behind this initiative.
Val
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby SueO » 20 Aug 2015, 15:03

Delighted to see that the fund raising effort has already reached 44% of target - hope they manage to reach and even exceed the target soon.

I'm sure I've read somewhere of the need for children's clothes. If I can whittle down our packing a little I'll be able to put some extra stuff in our bags but not sure what would be most appropriate to buy. Any suggestions (baby? toddler?) or should I wait and buy in Symi if there's suitable stuff available there?

SueO
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 20 Aug 2015, 15:20

Judging by the updates on Facebook, the needs seem to change from day to day Sue. You could contact Solidarity Symi directly and ask shortly before you leave at: allileggii.symi@gmail.com or call them on: +30 6957302565 to see if there is anything you could take with you though I suspect they would prefer money.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby sootyandsweep » 21 Aug 2015, 08:45

;) Just short of 50% - great idea to put this on the Symi page - easy way to donate. So much bad press about refugees but good to know so many people out there understand the horror these people are going through. :!:
sootyandsweep
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby SueO » 21 Aug 2015, 13:02

Just over 50% now - great work!

You're right of course Allan - immediate cash is vital (have already done that) but I've now re-read the facebook page and I see that they are asking for various items too. As needs are changing on a daily basis I'll re-visit there nearer the time. I'm thinking I could get around the weight limit/hand baggage restrictions by buying some basic toiletries etc. once through to the departure lounge and bunging everything into a duty free bag ;)

SueO
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Sue L » 24 Aug 2015, 08:59

Thanks to Andrew, everyone who contributed and of course all the people working with the refugees in Symi
97% of target this morning it just shows what can be done.
I read on the website toiletries and suntan cream is needed.
Maybe a box on the quay by the ferry for departing tourists to leave their unused products.
Sue L
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby SueO » 25 Aug 2015, 06:56

100% target reached - what a fantastic result.

Good idea Sue - I had wondered where I could leave my stuff as one tends to be using toiletries until the last minute. It might even tempt some of the day trippers to drop off some bits and bobs on their way home.

SueO
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby robertaburns » 25 Aug 2015, 22:47

I am so proud of the good people of Symi and its visitors xx
robertaburns
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Mille » 26 Aug 2015, 09:04

According to Adriana 100 more refugees arrived on Symi.
If you can, please spare some time to help.

Contact Wendy on +30 6945 822 896 if you are on Symi

Thank you
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Otto » 05 Sep 2015, 00:44

Most airlines in Scandinavia now allow for Mediterranean bound vacationers to bring an extra piece of luggage (20 kg) with relief items for the refugees. Does anyone have an idea what the refugees really need, which cannot be purchased on the island? I will arrive on Symi next Sunday (third time visit, and not the last) and I am prepared to give donations, handouts, and even do some volunteer work if needed. But I need to know if there are any items I can buy (expensive) or personally bring here from Norway, that would make a difference for these poor people. Any suggestions would be welcomed ☺
Otto
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby SueO » 05 Sep 2015, 07:04

Hi Otto

The Scandinavian airlines are showing a lot more humanity than the UK ones!

As for what to take I understand that their needs are changing pretty much daily. You've probably already seen it but, just in case, here's a link to the Solidarity Symi Facebook page - up to date "needs" are posted here regularly.

https://www.facebook.com/solidaritysymi

You can contact the organisers direct from there.

Looking at the latest posts they have had a wonderful response from the people of Datcha and seem to be pretty much inundated with clothing etc. I wonder if, given that nights will now be getting cooler and you will have quite a bit of space as well as weight allowance, something like sleeping bags or mats might be appropriate? I'm sure you'll get best advice from the people actually there.

I must admit that this initiative and the work being done in Symi has restored my faith in humanity to some extent.

SueO
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Otto » 05 Sep 2015, 10:49

Thank you. I just checked the Solidarity Symi Facobook page. They seem to have daily updates on exaxtly what is in demand. It is quite impressive how people on Symi mange to help the refugees arriving there. I will check the the page before I leave and bring some supplies.
Otto
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Next

Return to Symi Chat