Ferry - Rhodes to Symi

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Ferry - Rhodes to Symi

Postby DiamondChris » 13 Jul 2015, 14:25

Just starting checking ferries again for late September/October. Can Andy, or anyone, clarify I have this correct before I book tickets please?

I need to get a ferry from Rhodes to Symi on Thursday 24th September, returning on Thursday 1st October.

It looks as though my only option is the Panagia Skiadeni departing on Thursday 24th September at 09.00 and arriving in Symi at 10.30.am?

And on returning Thursday 1st October my options seem to be either 6.30.am from Symi, arriving in Rhodes at 8am or much later at 16.30. arriving Rhodes at 18.00. which is a bit too late for us. Would the early 6.30.am ferry on 1st October definitely run?!

Have I got these ferry times correct and also, which port in Rhodes does the Skiadeni go from? Many thanks.
DiamondChris
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Ferry - Rhodes to Symi

Postby Andy W » 14 Jul 2015, 07:56

The Panagia Skiadeni (and the Blue Star ferries) use Akandia quay in Rhodes Town, as this is the one equipped to handle roll-on roll-off vehicle traffic as well as passengers.
On the 24th September you're spot on with the sailings.
On the 1st of October, as well as the boats you've found, the Dodekanisos Pride calls at Symi at 14:00 and gets to Rhodes (Kolonna quay in this case) at 14:50.

Will the 06:30 ferry definitely run? No ferry is absolutely guaranteed, bad weather or breakdowns happen, and it is always possible there will be a timetable change.
However, on Wednesday nights there is a 19:00 sailing from Rhodes to Symi which carries a lot of newly arrived package holiday passengers. This spends the night in Yialos Harbour, and returns to Rhodes as the 06:30 on Thursday mornings. If the Wednesday evening boat operates, so must the Thursday morning one, or there is no ferry for the 09:00 Rhodes-Symi.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby DiamondChris » 14 Jul 2015, 11:25

Thank you so much Andy. I think we will go for the early 06.30. return as we need to get down to Lindos, if possible, for lunchtime that day . As you say, if it docks overnight in Symi, it should leave on time! Is it too early to book tickets online, would you say, for these ferries? Thanks.
DiamondChris
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Andy W » 14 Jul 2015, 11:45

You can if you want, and I'm sure Dodekanisos Seaways will welcome the money, but there's no need to.
I would book the sailing on the 24th just a few days in advance as it might (though probably won't that late in the season) fill up with daytrippers from Rhodes, and the return sailing while you're on Symi anytime you're passing the Symi Tours office in Yialos. It certainly won't be full, there may be more crew than passengers.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby DiamondChris » 14 Jul 2015, 15:13

Thanks again Andy. Much appreciate the advice.
DiamondChris
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby DiamondChris » 15 Jul 2015, 13:01

Can you maybe advise how far it is to Akandia quay from the Hermes Hotel? Will a taxi be necessary?

Also, on our return to Rhodes from Symi into Akandia quay, will we be able to pick up a taxi easily to take us down to Lindos immediately? Is there a taxi rank close by? Many thanks.
DiamondChris
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Andy W » 15 Jul 2015, 15:07

I walked it once, from the Nea Agora/New Market building to Akandia, it took 35 minutes. I had no baggage. The Hermes Hotel is about 2 minutes further on from the Nea Agora. Symi residents said I must have been mad to try it. To be realistic, with baggage, a taxi is essential.

When a ferry is due, taxis congregate in rows just outside the gates of the Panagia Skiadeni's berth. There's no actual rank and I'd get a move on in leaving the ferry and getting to the taxis.
If they think nobody else is likely to want a taxi, any unclaimed taxis will clear off as the next ferry arrival there is likely to be 10 hours later.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby DiamondChris » 15 Jul 2015, 16:23

Thanks again Andy. Taxi from the Hermes it will be.

As for a taxi from the quay to Lindos, have you any other suggestion? Are there plenty around the streets, could we pre-book one although there is no guarantee our ferry would arrive right on time, so this is not my preferred choice?

Are taxis happy to do the journey to Lindos and how long is the trip and cost - do you know? Many thanks.
DiamondChris
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Andy W » 15 Jul 2015, 17:30

All the licensed taxis on Rhodes go anywhere on the island, though if the one you go to first has a pre-booking in a few minutes he may pass you on to a colleague. They're used to people arriving by ferry and wanting to go elsewhere on the island.There's a set fare from Rhodes Town to Lindos of €55, plus a €1 supplement for departing from the port. It will probably take 45 minutes or so.

It would be most unusual for the ferry to be late, unless it is being used for a medical evacuation from Symi or something. I certainly wouldn't rely on finding a taxi in the street, as it is not a busy area, and you'd still have to walk a considerable way through lorry parks and a boatyard to even get to the street.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Robert » 16 Jul 2015, 15:40

You can also get the bus fom the Bus Station (same one as the airport busses leave from) - it takes a while as it visits places on the way but it is interesting and a lot cheaper! Depends on how much time you have but it is a sensible alternative, I have done this many times as we share our holiday betwen Symi and Lindos. The bus station is a short taxi ride from the quay for Panagia Skiadeni's berth - walkable if you happen to be on the Express or Pride.
Robert
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby DiamondChris » 16 Jul 2015, 16:05

Andy W wrote: I certainly wouldn't rely on finding a taxi in the street, as it is not a busy area, and you'd still have to walk a considerable way through lorry parks and a boatyard to even get to the street.

Thanks again Andy. So if I wanted to pre-book a taxi to ensure we get to Lindos from Akandia quay on arrival, how would I go about booking this? Would perhaps the Hermes Hotel do it for me, prior to us departing to Symi the week before? And where would the taxi meet us - by the ferry? I hadnt realised Akandia quay was so large that it consisted of lorry parks and boatyards!
DiamondChris
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Andy W » 16 Jul 2015, 17:24

I'm not an expert on pre-booking taxis on Rhodes as it isn't something I've ever even thought about doing myself. You could certainly ask the Hermes for advice and help.
Personally I've never had a problem getting a taxi at Akandia, just do what the locals do, be down on the vehicle deck with your bags when the ramp is lowered, and that's fine. If you're up on the top deck taking photos, then have to go down three levels, collect your bags from the storage racks, and exit the ship amidst a stream of vehicles, the taxi drivers may have given up hope of any more passengers and cleared off.
Akandia is vast and far from pedestrian-friendly. Everything imported into Rhodes from the rest of Greece arrives there (except petrol and diesel). You can find 3 large passenger/car/truck-carrying ferries, plus the Panagia Skiadeni and the Symi day-trip boat, plus a couple of freighters, all berthed at once on some days of the week. That's why there are lorry parks - they're either waiting to board a ferry, or have just come off one. It's common to send the trailer part of articulated lorries on ferries without the tractor unit to save space and fares. On arrival a local tractor unit drags all the trailers off the boat and parks them up until there's time to deliver them to wherever they need to go on the island. The same thing happens on a smaller scale on Symi every Wednesday and Friday.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 16 Jul 2015, 19:24

Perhaps this Google Earth map will help people understand where the various ports are in Rhodes.
I've marked on the Hermes and the Nea Agora for reference.

rhodes-map2.jpg
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andy W » 16 Jul 2015, 19:41

The quay in the middle, where the Kolonna and Akandia circles nearly touch, is nowadays known as the Tourist Port (according to the English language sign at its entrance) and is used by cruise liners and by ferries to and from Turkey, because that's where the immigration and customs building is.
You can see one of the extra-big Blue Star ferries berthed at Akandia in Allan's photo. This is I think either Blue Star 1 or Blue Star 2. Both are far too big to fit into Symi harbour at all, which gives you an idea of the scale (172 metres long, nearly 30,000 tons, carries 1900 passengers and 641 cars)
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Symi Chat