Symi on my mind

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Symi on my mind

Postby Otto » 22 Aug 2015, 12:56

Hello everyone. My name is Per (44) and I am from Stavanger, Norway. I am new to this forum, but has followed it for a while. I have been to Symi twice before. I spent a week there by myself in June 2012 and fell completely in love with the place. And I met some very nice locals and regulars. I was also there with my sister and mother in September 2013. Now I'm going solo again from 13 to 20 September. Summer has been crap so far here in Norway. The weather is not so bad right now, but June and July were awful. I spent a week in Brac, Croatia (and a few days in Liverpool) back in July. But nothing can compare with Symi. In my mind, it is the most beautiful place on earth. I'm hoping to bring a friend along next year. He is a real anglophile, so he should have a fair chance of meeting some likeminded people ;-) Three weeks and counting... I can hardly wait :-)
Otto
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Symi on my mind

Postby Gemma1 » 23 Aug 2015, 08:45

Hope you enjoy your solo week on Symi Per. I always travel solo to Symi and have met some lovely people there, there is something about Symi that keeps drawing me back. The weather in the UK hasn't been very good this summer either (we are used to it lol) and I'm looking forward to going back to Symi at the end of September :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Otto » 05 Sep 2015, 01:14

Eight days and counting. Dying to get back on this beautiful island. Third time full week visit, and certainly not the last. Feels like coming back to my summer house. Will contribute to the economy the best I can…
Otto
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby SueO » 05 Sep 2015, 07:07

Hi Otto

Forgot to say when responding to your refugee post - have a wonderful holiday :D :D :D

We'll be there on the 16th - not long now!

SueO
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Otto » 11 Sep 2015, 15:35

20 C and sunshine on the west coast of Norway. Not bad for mid-September. But can't wait to get back to Symi 8-) 51 hours 55 minutes and counting...
Otto
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby SueO » 12 Sep 2015, 06:51

9C. very heavy rain and it's still dark here in North Yorkshire UK - roll on Wednesday! Have a safe journey Otto and be careful of your back carrying all that excess baggage.
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 12 Sep 2015, 07:58

SueO, Otto, it is currently 32 degrees on Symi at 10am. It can only get hotter during the day.

Something to look forward to eh?
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Otto » 12 Sep 2015, 09:23

Oh yeah. 40 degrees during the day may be a bit much for us northerners, but I think I can cope. It was about the same when I visited Croatia in July. Don't think I'll do any hiking in the mountains though... I would rather be on the Poseidon. And perhaps do some charity work. Arriving late Sunday night, on the Panagia Skiadeni I assume... :D
Otto
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby SueO » 12 Sep 2015, 09:55

Thanks Allan. Just had an email from friends on Halki confirming hot weather but suggesting that they may have jinxed it and we can now look forward to snow :o :o :o

Thanks for the photos by the way - hope you continue to enjoy your holiday.

I'm with you there Otto - definitely the Poseidon in that sort of heat. We arrive on Wednesday evening so will probably spend Thursday pottering about and having a long lunch in Pedi. We are planning our first trip out with Yiannis on the Friday - maybe see you on board?
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Otto » 12 Sep 2015, 10:21

Hi Sue. That sounds like a good idea. I'm hoping to meet some more of the regular visitors this time. I met a few on my first trip back in 2012. So I will be there on Friday :D
Otto
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby SueO » 12 Sep 2015, 15:13

We'll look out for you - any distinguishing features? I know you're Norwegian and "not as young as you used to be" but that's about it. :!:

September is a good month for regulars (Brits and Scandinavians) so I'm sure you'll bump into plenty of us.

Have a safe journey and enjoy your holiday whatever you do.

SueO
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Otto » 12 Sep 2015, 16:07

Well, I guess that I look like a Scandinavian. A bit pale, not very tall (1,69m), dark but very short hair (3-5mm), and I am wearing glasses. I don't think I would stand out in a crowd. But it shouldn't be too difficult to spot me :geek: It will be a long day tomorrow. Have to get up at 3 am, and won't reach Symi until 8:30 pm. I also have to kill 6 hours in Rhodes, just waiting for the ferry to take me to Symi.
Otto
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby SueO » 13 Sep 2015, 07:31

Hi Otto

I missed your post yesterday - guess you'll be well on your way now.

It will be a long day for you but worth it in the end! 6 hours waiting in Rhodes is an awful long time - have you thought about going to the Plaza hotel? They are very accommodating towards people who are travelling to/from Symi. They're quite happy for you to leave your luggage with them for a few hours whilst you have a wander about unencumbered. They have a nice bar there and you can even use the swimming pool if you want. Having a drink/snack beside the pool can be a very pleasant way to pass a couple of hours.

Of course, unless you happen to log in here "on the go" I'm probably too late with this suggestion - sorry!

Will look out for you on Friday. What does a Scandinavian look like? That sounds like the first line of a joke :twisted:
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Otto » 13 Sep 2015, 19:24

Just arrived safe and sound in Symi (Paradise) 8-) Feels like coming home. Spending 6 hours in Rhodes though, was like watching paint dry... :shock: Just unpacking, and then ready for a late dinner.
Staying for the third time at Iapetos Village. Got a whole two story apartment for my self this time. No need to complain...
What does a Scandinavian look like? Good point. Certainly not all blond, like some people seem to think. I really don't know... But I am sure you will recognize me.
Looking forward to a great week. Updates will follow :D
Otto
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby SueO » 15 Sep 2015, 09:40

Hi Otto

Pleased you arrived safely - I'm sure it was worth the boring wait in Rhodes. Hope you had a good day yesterday. Looks like it's still hot there - don't forget to drink plenty (of water?) and don't overdo the sunbathing 8-) 8-)

Raining heavily and still cold here. Must start packing soon - up at 4.30 tomorrow. Not quite as bad as your early start but.....

SueO
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Otto » 15 Sep 2015, 17:20

Hi Sue.
It is actually not too hot down here. 30 +++. Just perfect. I really liked Allan's picture. I saw that cloud myself. I think it got in the way of the Sun for a few seconds...
I am well into the Symi groove. Spent hours yesterday up in the old town, writing a long travel report to family, friends and colleagues back home, trying to persuade them to visit this beautiful island.
I really like the Iapetos Village hotel. But next time I think I want to travel independantly, and try somewhere up in Horio/ Chorio. I am sure that I can get many good recommendations from other members of this forum.
Today I went to Agia Marina and had a fantastic lunch with mussels in creamed sauce and pita bread with oregano.
Tomorrow will be spent on the Poseidon. And then a 50 min. massage in the evening.
Thursday not settled yet. But I will be back on the Poseidon on Friday :D
Otto
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Allan » 15 Sep 2015, 18:57

Pleased to hear you have settled into Symi life so quickly Otto and enjoyed your visit to Chorio.

The next time you venture "upstairs" please let yourself be known at the Rainbow bar sometime in the afternoon. I'll be glad to meet you. ;)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SueO » 15 Sep 2015, 19:54

Hi Otto - I thought I'd already posted this but must have hit the wrong key. If it turns up somewhere else please accept my apologies!!

Anyway, it sounds as if you're having a wonderful time - GOOD :D

We always stay in the village and, for us, it's the only place to be. Will talk on Friday - I'm sure there are plenty of places that would suit your needs.

In my last ( lost) post I said that we were packed (which we are) and that dinner was under way. Have now eaten dinner (and consumed several glasses of a rather nice red) so will now sign off and have an early night.

See you (and Symi) soon.

Sue
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Otto » 19 Sep 2015, 16:16

Sitting up in the village, soaking up the last bits of Symi atmosphere (and Ouzo) for this time. Think I have done my part in preserving the o(u)zone layer. It feels like I just arrived, but unfortunately I have to go back tomorrow. Have to get up around 5:00 am :o I will be back next year though, and probably bring along a friend. So long Symi, and see you again soon :'(
Otto
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Joe Le Taxi » 03 Oct 2015, 08:17

Came back last Thursday after three weeks on Symi.Great to see all our old friends again after an eighteen months absence.
Special shout out to Sue and Marcus.Hope to see everyone next year.
Joe Le Taxi
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Next

Return to Symi Chat