Olympic Rep 2016

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Re: Olympic Rep 2016

Postby JeanW » 15 Jun 2016, 16:52

Hello MrsMcS - I was there in May and all the Rhodes overnighters were put up at Lindos, The Lindos Gardens Hotel, which was absolutely fine. However, it took almost an hour and half to get there by the time we had dropped of people at Afandou and Kalethia. We were then picked up at 6.45am the next morning for the 9.30am ferry. There were lots of us as the last ferry to Symi on Wednesday is around 3pm.
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Andy W » 15 Jun 2016, 18:13

JeanW wrote:Hello MrsMcS - I was there in May and all the Rhodes overnighters were put up at Lindos, The Lindos Gardens Hotel, which was absolutely fine. However, it took almost an hour and half to get there by the time we had dropped of people at Afandou and Kalethia. We were then picked up at 6.45am the next morning for the 9.30am ferry. There were lots of us as the last ferry to Symi on Wednesday is around 3pm.

The summer ferry timetable started this week and the last ferry on Wednesdays from Rhodes to Symi is now 7pm. This will operate until the end of September. The 3pm sailing operates all year round.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Oor Willie » 15 Jun 2016, 18:22

New Olympic rep has started don't know who she is as we are not with Olympic but saw her in uniform at the harbour this afternoon seeing guests off on the Panagia Skiardini and the Express
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby snapperjon » 16 Jun 2016, 11:15

9-15 Symi Rhodian Sun Hotel 8964 web.jpg
9-15 Symi Rhodian Sun Hotel 8967 web.jpg
Anyone overnighting, I can thoroughly recommend the Rhodian Sun hotel. It's close to the airport rather than in Rhodes town. The do a free pick-up from the airport, and are on the bus route for a cheap way into town, and of course there are plenty of taxis. We stayed there last year and will do so again this. Cheap, clean, really welcoming and helpful. We got in after midnight, got picked up - and a free drink at the bar when we got in! (can't promise the last...). The only problem was they they are not he best when it come to communicating.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Rev ... egean.html
snapperjon
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 17 Jun 2016, 07:36

Glad to hear there is now an Olympic rep in post and I look forward to meeting her in September :)

When I went to Symi last September we overnighted in Falaraki. It wasn't as bad as it sounds as it was away from the strip in a quiet location and preferable to Lindos if you're arriving on the late night Manchester flight. Due to the change to Small Planet the flight isn't due to arrive on Rhodes until 0040 so it will be a late night and I'm really hoping I don't end up somewhere with a long transfer.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Oor Willie » 18 Jun 2016, 22:51

Talking to Olympic customers currently on Symi Lindos appears to be the favoured overnight location, or if you are really unlucky a night in the foyer of the International in Rhodes town
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 19 Jun 2016, 08:32

I think it depends on where they've got rooms available. The year I went to Halki I was put up near Lindos overnight, as were the people going to Symi. Fingers crossed they have rooms a bit closer than Lindos - not the Hotel International Foyer though :!:
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby MrsMcS » 28 Jun 2016, 14:19

Thanks Jean. That sounds better than two years ago when we were put up in an awful hotel miles from anywhere. It took us ages to get there too as had a lot of drop offs on the way. Felt so sorry for the proprietor of the hotel. He was like a headless chicken when we all turned up. We all had a good laugh though as it was so bad. However, by the time September comes around who knows were we will end up overnight!! :D.
MrsMcS
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby thomasina » 28 Jun 2016, 18:49

We were unfortunate enough to get the foyer of The International Hotel a couple of weeks ago, we spent from 3am until 8am trying to get a bit of sleep leaned over a small table. The hotel guests starting coming down for their buffet breakfast from 7am which was set up at the rear of the foyer, we were not even offered a drink, a pre ordered taxi picked us up to take us to the port. After one week on Symi, the Olympic rep. started, I asked our neighbours when their welcome meeting was, it had already taken place we had not been invited. The first time we met the Olympic rep. she told us our departure details, she met us at the ferry in Symi to give us our tickets, and explain that a taxi would collect us when we arrived in Rhodes, we travelled across with another couple who were flying back to Birmingham, we were going to Gatwick. Guess what no taxi when we arrived in Rhodes, after several people trying to help, the lady in the ferry office was very helpful, after 45 mins waiting, Olympic excuse was taxi was at the wrong port, another taxi was sent and took all 4 of us plus luggage to The International Hotel where is was securely locked away, whilst we walked around Rhodes Town until 11pm, when we returned we awaited our pick up coach around midnight. We had a fantastic holiday, staying at the Taxiarchis for 2 weeks, extremely hot weather, maybe we'll be back sometime. The Olympic rep. Is called Nicholette, and seems very nice.
thomasina
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Janeybabes » 28 Jul 2016, 08:49

We are off to Symi in 6 weeks(yippee) and wondered if it would be safe for us to book a room at the International hotel for the late flight arrival. We are travelling with Olympic and have seen on here that they've dropped people of for the night at various different places, last time we went in September they left us at the International hotel and it was awful having to sit on metal chairs all night, so booking a bed for the night would save us that trauma, hoping someone can help xx
Janeybabes
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 29 Jul 2016, 07:28

At least you know you'd get a bed for the night Janey! I'm not sure which flight you're on or what time it gets in, but when I've flown on the afternoon Manchester Germania flight (now with Small Planet) I was taken to a hotel in Pefkos one year and Falaraki the next and didn't go anywhere near the International until I was dropped off there on the way back for the return transfer to the airport. That was on the Germania flight that was due in before midnight. I contacted Olympic when the flight was changed to Small Planet as it now arrives an hour later and got the standard reply that if the delay was for more than 8 hours Olympic would put me up in a hotel. I'd be interested to know from somebody who has travelled on that flight this year if that was the case? It's still over 8 hours from the flight landing to the ferry departing but only just.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Janeybabes » 01 Aug 2016, 21:37

We are on a Wednesday afternoon flight from East Midlands Gemma, landing around 8pm in Rhodes so too late for the ferry. Were not risking sitting all night again on metal chairs so have now booked a room at the International. If they aren't going there, we'll make our own way and meet them at the port in the morning,no probs !!
Janeybabes
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 02 Aug 2016, 07:44

If you're arriving at 8pm Olympic should provide you with overnight accommodation on Rhodes Janey, as your wait is over 8 hours. At least if you've booked the International you won't have to be up at the crack of dawn to catch the ferry, so that's a bonus ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Previous

Return to Symi Chat