Pedi Beach Hotel

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Pedi Beach Hotel

Postby Fullenglish » 25 May 2016, 10:35

Hello,

I am off to Symi on the 8th June and I'mbooked into the Pedi Beach Hotel. The reviews seem encouraging.
Can anyone give me some first hand experience please?

Phil
Fullenglish
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Re: Pedi Beach Hotel

Postby D and E » 26 May 2016, 08:17

Never stayed but passed the hotel regularly over the last two weeks; my sister has stayed; and we know others who have stayed. It is in a perfect location within feet of Pedi Bay which is a stunning sight to wake up to. Over the last two weeks it was one of the few places on Symi that looked busy. I am told that the people who run the place are amazing hosts. Enjoy.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Fullenglish » 26 May 2016, 20:53

Thank you D&E.
Fullenglish
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby dbiggins71 » 02 Jun 2016, 13:31

My partner and I have just returned from a weeks stay in Pedi Beach Hotel, and it's fantastic. Lovely hotel, great location and Maria and her team can't do enough for you. Wholeheartedly recommended.
dbiggins71
Starting Visitor

Postby JeanW » 02 Jun 2016, 18:58

I have just returned from a 3 week stay at Pedi Beach Hotel (my 5th stay) and can confirm all of the above comments - it really is great in every way, I'm sure you will enjoy your trip.
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Fullenglish » 04 Jun 2016, 13:06

Thankyou Jean. I'm really looking forward to this trip. Any particular tavernas that you would recommend? It seems most nearest to Pedi are in Gialos.
Phil
Fullenglish
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby mr wotsin » 05 Jun 2016, 12:31

Taverna at opposite end of bay called Tollis.
mr wotsin
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Andy W » 05 Jun 2016, 13:05

And the Katsaras taverna just a few metres from the hotel, and the four taverna/restaurants in Chorio.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby snapperjon » 06 Jun 2016, 10:47

The Secret Garden is a ten minute walk, straight up the hill, a few yards past the turning that goes up to the windmills. They have music nights (Friday?) Zoe's Taverna in Chorio is great. If you get there early, you can get the table that looks out over the town - lovely view, and the meatballs are wonderful! The Olive Tree at the top of the kali strata is a Symi institution. Open during the day, they do a cracking breakfast. Too many to list, really. There are some slightly dodgy ones down by the harbour; Trip Advisor is you friend here.

http://www.centralsomersetgazette.co.uk ... story.html
snapperjon
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 07 Jun 2016, 06:22

Hi Fullenglish,
As reported in our recent visit blog it is unlikely that Tolis Taverna in Pedi will open this year so Katsaras with its stunning jetty will be the only and most convenient taverna in Pedi but what a stunning location that is.
A walk or bus up the Pedi Road and there is quite a choice in the evenings with Zoe's, Giorgio's, Zylygos being our favourites - we hardly moved from these three during our May Visit. They all have varied menus and are very reasonably priced and the quality of food is excellent. Of course if the Windmills open that has quite a unique menu and well worth a visit.
Stay on the bus and arrive in Yialos for an even greater choice. A walk round the harbour to Tholos & Odyssia is very rewarding food-wise. Trata at the bottom of the Kali Strata and Vasilis by the harbour bridge - we love them both. And there are so many more.
In all our years visiting Symi and having eaten hundreds of meals we can recount on one hand a few disappointments.
It is a great place if you love food.
It's a great place full stop.
Love to hear how you get on and what you think.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Fullenglish » 07 Jun 2016, 12:35

Thank you D & E,

I'll let you know. Can't wait :D
Fullenglish
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Allan » 07 Jun 2016, 13:31

A quick update...
I have just been told that Tolis taverna in Pedi is due to open later this week so you should have a choice of two places to eat close to the hotel.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Fullenglish » 07 Jun 2016, 15:16

Thanks Allan.
Fullenglish
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby D and E » 08 Jun 2016, 14:28

That's excellent news Allan.

And for Fullenglish.

Have had many an excellent lunch in Tolis Taverna in Pedi and it is now back on the list for October which I must start sorting in terms of travel as accommodation is provisionally booked but we were thinking of coming over via Athens - bit of an adventure.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Allan » 10 Jun 2016, 14:11

I think fullenglish is on Symi now so will have found out about Tolis taverna but for reference, I had a walk past the place a couple of days ago and whilst there was a lot of getting ready work going on I think the estimate of opening "by the end of the week" is a bit optimistic.

Still, they are obviously intending to open soon and that is good news.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Fullenglish » 16 Jun 2016, 13:05

Hello All,
Well I am back from Symi. Yes it is a lovely place! We stayed at the Pedi Beach Hotel which is really nice. Maria, the Manager there welcomed us as if we were long lost friends which was lovely and the staff could not do enough to help us enjoy our stay. They were always smiling and genuinely made us very welcome. I spoke to a few English people there who said that they were "Island hopping". All coming from Rhodes, but they all said the same thing about this particular location and hotel. That it was better than other more expensive hotels and would consider coming back rather than visiting more so called up market places.

The bay there as we looked out from the hotel is absolutely stunning! There are three tavernas at the resort. We visited two. One of which as we faced the bay to the left was not great, and we felt that we were under pressure to eat more than we wanted. Another English couple said the same and the food was inferior to many of the tavernas/restaurants we went to in Pedi town centre also known as Galios.

We tried a few tavernas in Pedi Town, but our favourite by far was Spitiko. It is really good and there were more people eating there than in most places in the evening too which says a lot! There is always day and night a very pleasant attractive young lady standing at the entrance who is part of the family who own the restaurant and she beckons people in but never a nuisance. She and another waitress took care of us and we were really made to feel welcome.

People were being invited into the kitchen to see what they were ordering, especially if one wanted fish. Which gave me a great deal of confidence about the restaurant regarding quality of food and cleanliness.

The interesting thing is that I found out that Spitiko has won the island award for years and they were expecting to win again this year again and I would say that they deserve it.

A lot of restaurants just wanted to get you in and while Spitiko were enticing us in, If we said not now or not tonight they were always smiling.

In my opinion and others said the same, that Symi is indeed a very beautiful island and is worth staying for about one week at a time, but I definately want to return next year if possible.

Incidentally I was on the Island of Rhodes in 1974 when Cyprus was invaded by the Turks. That was an experience which is too long for me to relate here, but just to say, Rhodes has now become so commercial and I did not like it at all. But then if one doesn't have anything to compare it to then it's worth a visit.

One final thing...My wife had a slight tummy upset one day and went to speak to the staff asking if they had anything good for settling a dodgy tummy... Maria the Manager said try this... she gave my wife half a small glass of ordinary Coke and instantly my wife felt better. Maria said, "Yes it works". with a big grin on her face, and gave her a big hug.

Well that's my Alan Wicker report complete. 10/10 A beautiful place!

Phil
Fullenglish
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Allan » 17 Jun 2016, 17:53

Thanks for your report Phil.
I'm pleased that you enjoyed your holiday and gave Symi 10/10 :D

It's good to hear that you discovered Spitiko in Yialos (Gialos, 'The Harbour') and liked it so much. It is a firm favourite of lots of our regular posters here (including me). Jordana, the manager you liked so much, has read your comments and is "Very happy".
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Symi Chat