Who is going to Symi 2017

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Re: Who is going to Symi 2017

Postby STEVE » 25 Jul 2016, 12:43

Thoroughly endorse Andy's reply above. We always travel independently and have a number of rules that we stick to. We always book our flight direct with the airline. We find that Christmas Day/Boxing Day are a good days to book from a price point of view. We do, sometimes, book accommodation via such as Booking.com (normally transit accommodation for the odd night or two whilst waiting for the ferry we want) but always on a 'pay in resort' basis and always with the price in Euros, not Pounds. That way, the price you see is the price you pay at the accommodation. You are asked for a Credit Card number to secure the room but you don't have to pay with that card when you get there. We use a pre-loaded card that enables us to buy Euros at a time when we think there's a good rate and use that card to pay or to draw cash on in resort if we're paying cash. If we book direct with the property owners then they, sometimes, ask for a deposit up front normally equal to one nights cost. That's as much as we pay up front and, whilst it can be a bit of a rip off to do a bank transfer for that deposit, it's never much, really, so it's not the end of the world. So far (touch wood) in 20 or so years of booking our holidays this way on islands up and down the Dodecanese we've only ever had one bad experience and that was in 2015 on Patmos where we ignored our own rules and paid for some accommodation in advance. We did get the full amount refunded but only after the intervention of the helpful and friendly manager of the Alpha Bank branch in Skala who wasn't at all happy with his hotel owing customer (long story but Patmos has one hotel that we'd recommend be avoided at all costs despite the, mostly, glowing reviews on Trip Advisor etc.). Even then, that experience did have a silver lining as we found an alternative as late afternoon 'walk ins' at the Hotel Skala in Skala which was exceptional and is recommenced very highly by us.

Steve
STEVE
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Fullenglish » 25 Jul 2016, 16:33

Thanks everyone for the info. Basically I'm interested in flights from London airports to Rhodes. I used Easyjet last year from Gatwick. I'm just wondering if anyone has info on cheaper flights direct to Rhodes. Easyjet are competitive but not available for June next year until September this year.
Fullenglish
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Andy W » 27 Jul 2016, 08:05

The only airlines that fly from London area airports non-stop to Rhodes are British Airways (from Gatwick, bookings open roughly 360 days before travel date); EasyJet (from Gatwick, bookings open in seasonal blocks); Monarch (2017 bookings not open yet); Ryanair (from Stansted, probably on sale from September/October); Thomson (Gatwick, Luton, Stansted - on sale now); Thomas Cook (Gatwick, Stansted - on sale now), plus whoever Olympic Holidays end up chartering from Gatwick, which probably won't be the airline they're claiming now will operate the route.
It's important to understand airline speak when reading websites: Nonstop means what it says (barring emergencies of course). Direct is not the same, the plane may stop along the way, either to refuel or to pick up/set down passengers. Examples would be flights from the UK to Skiathos, which are normally non stop, but from Skiathos to the UK they may be "direct" instead and with many aircraft types you'd need to make a refuelling stop on the way back. This is due to the short runway at Skiathos. Boeing 757s and 737-700s have very short take-off length requirements and can get off with a full load of fuel, other types can only take off with a reduced fuel load, because of the weight.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Fullenglish » 27 Jul 2016, 10:43

Thanks Andy. Much appreciated.
Phil
Fullenglish
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby petrostoo » 28 Jul 2016, 16:45

JeanW wrote:Sorry if I misunderstood. However, your posting today at 17.13 asked 'how are people booking with Olympic'. Those of us who posted have booked with Olympic Holidays, which is the complete package including flights, transfers and accommodation. Other posters who were looking at prices for next year were also looking at packages with Olympic Holidays. I know there are pros and cons v travelling independently or on a package, but having done both Olympic suits my purse just now.

We're with JeanW here,Have also tried both over many years and in defence of Olympic,our September 2017 trip is £90 cheaper than the same time and accommodation as in 2015! Booked it in June this year and were advised that we had the last "sea view" room.Well chuffed!
petrostoo
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby silverfox » 05 Aug 2016, 20:55

Bit perplexed as I might have booked but Olympic site does not seem to include transfers at this time.

:(
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby JeanW » 05 Aug 2016, 21:47

Have just checked my paperwork for my May 2017 booking and transfers are definitely included. It might be worth giving Olympic a call on Monday morning to check.

Incidentally I always make my booking with Olympic over the 'phone to make sure I get exactly what I want and there have been occasions when I have played the loyal customer card
and got an additional discount.
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 06 Aug 2016, 08:40

It depends on which day / flight you are travelling as to whether transfers are included or not. It's the same for a few Olympic Holidays and the ones that don't include transfers are often more expensive in my opinion. If you want to fly from LBA to Symi it costs over £200 more than flying from Manchester and transfers aren't included. Think I'll pass on that :?
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Colette » 07 Aug 2016, 13:50

Steve, I agree with Jean, phone Olympic on Monday and check the transfer issue . I also always book by phone and get a much better deal than on line. My holidays for next year are also booked at very reasonable prices ,cheaper than in previous years.
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 08 Aug 2016, 07:15

It's always worth giving Olympic a call to check the price as if you're a regular Olympic traveller they usually give you a repeat customer discount which you can't get when booking online.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Previous

Return to Symi Chat