symi 2015

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

symi 2015

Postby JeanW » 07 Jun 2014, 16:27

Just booked with Olympic for May 2015 - fabulous deals, �683 for 3 weeks at Pedi Beach Hotel including breakfast. Only had to pay �61.00 deposit.
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

symi 2015

Postby maziemoo » 09 Jun 2014, 00:04

early bird catches the worm Jean :)
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

symi 2015

Postby Gemma1 » 15 Jun 2014, 11:36

Blimey, I didn't realise they were taking bookings already. Might have to have a little peek at the prices ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

symi 2015

Postby Fina » 02 Jul 2014, 16:57

We will be 1st time visitors to Symi arriving 1st July 2015 for 2 weeks. We are staying at the Nerius Hotel
Fina
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

symi 2015

Postby Allan » 02 Jul 2014, 18:14

Welcome to the Chat page Fina.

I'm sure you will enjoy your first visit to Symi, everyone does! If you need any help or advice over the next 12 months feel free to ask.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

symi 2015

Postby Fina » 02 Jul 2014, 20:09

Thanks Allan.
Fina
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

symi 2015

Postby Joey » 06 Jul 2014, 19:03

I've had a look today for folks for 2wks in June at the Nireus. £1424. Not bad. I think they want to book early as they met someone last week who is looking to book 6 rooms as it is his 80th. Flight times really bad again and would mean no room as less than 8hrs wait. They could get a slightly better flight but means £99 each extra. I will have to ring Olympic as I fancy 3wks again :D
Joey
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

symi 2015

Postby JeanW » 06 Jul 2014, 23:56

Hello Joey, I have stayed at the Nireus with a sea view room many times in the past and hoped I would be always be able to afford to stay there. However it became too expensive for me as a solo traveller. Can you clarify whether the £1424 is for two people and with a sea view room. The internal rooms (EVEN WITH A BALCONY) look on to a block of apartments at the back of the hotel with no view what so ever. P
PS: I should have said I travel with Olympic and will continue to do so.
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

symi 2015

Postby Joey » 15 Jul 2014, 21:17

Sorry for slow response JeanW. Having problems with Wi-Fi and not been on since day I posted. Folks normally get room 110. No balcony. Just window looking on to kitchen (I stayed there once and the noise drove me crackers but folks could sleep on a washing line!). When I stayed there solo I got the room the other side of the stairs with balcony (better in my opinion) but as you say Nireus just way too much for us solos! That is the price for 2. It is ridiculous what we pay for solo. I would certainly not like to share my room at Anastasia. Way too small!
Joey
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

symi 2015

Postby Gemma1 » 16 Jul 2014, 08:21

I have been looking at prices for Symi for next September but need to decide what we're doing in June first. I'd really like to go island hopping again but waiting for Easyjet flights to Santorini to go on sale as want to go to the Little Cyclades.

I think the supplement for the Manchester day flight with Olympic/Germania is a bit steep at £48 and would be tempted to go on the later flight - at least I wouldn't have to set off at 2 in the morning like this year lol. It does work out expensive going to Symi if you can only go for a week.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

symi 2015

Postby JenniG » 20 Aug 2014, 11:21

Like Jean W, I've also booked for May 2015 at Anastasia - Olympic Holiday prices (even for a solo traveller) are so reasonable, even including flight supplements. Now considering where to book for September 2015 .....
JenniG
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

symi 2015

Postby Gemma1 » 21 Aug 2014, 08:39

[quote="JenniG"]

Like Jean W, I've also booked for May 2015 at Anastasia - Olympic Holiday prices (even for a solo traveller) are so reasonable, even including flight supplements. Now considering where to book for September 2015 .....
[/quote]

When I looked at May (from Manchester) the prices were based on the day flight rather than the night flight like September so prices were a lot better. I don't mind paying a bit extra to fly during the day but I think �48 for a Germania flight that has been changed to depart at 0700 this year is a bit steep. Maybe I should switch to May ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

symi 2015

Postby Kojak » 21 Aug 2014, 23:05

I found the same, Gemma. When I booked for May 2015 the default flight was a day flight. When I booked for September 2015 suddenly the default flight was a night flight and you had to pay considerably more to go on the day flight. - They don't miss a trick! Still the cheapest way for single customers which is what they are counting on of course.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Re: symi 2015

Postby BPSOMERSET » 06 Dec 2014, 23:48

Hi Jean
We will be there from 6th May for 3 weeks staying at the Nereus for the first time - getting reluctant to manage the steps at the Anastasoula. Accommodation through Olympic but we are travelling to Istanbul and Athens first.
BPSOMERSET
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Kojak » 07 Dec 2014, 14:37

I'll be there 13th May for 2 weeks and 16th September also for 2 weeks. Back at the Anastasoula. I took advantage of a discount offer and got 2 weeks park & ride at Manchester for £34. that is much cheaper (and faster) than public transport.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Sue L » 08 Dec 2014, 23:41

We went to Paros last year nice island stayed in a really good hotel we hired a car to see the island we will go back but I've already booked the Nireus for 26th August 2015 direct we'll book flights later we travel with my Mum so its got to be day flights looking forward to going back to Symi and meeting up with old friends
Sue L
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 22 Dec 2014, 23:54

Just changed my departure date from 16 to 23 September so keeping my fingers crossed the weather stays good until the end of September. Some friends I met this year are going a week later due to work commitments so I would have missed them completely and it will be nice to meet up with them again :) . Had to pay £35 amendment fee but as the holiday prices have come down since I booked it's only costing me £13 more overall.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby KN9700 » 13 Feb 2015, 20:19

Another new member of the chat

After having read news on the chatpage for years I have decided to have the oppurtunity to ask and answer questions on the symi chat, and I hope that my membership will be useful and of great pleasure to as well old members of the chat as to me :D .
My wife, Inge, and I have been visiting Symi for many years, my name is Karl-Johan. Inge and I live in Denmark and 9700 is our postal code.
The first times we went to Symi with our children, but now we go only the two of us.
The first times on Symi we stayed in Yalos but now we prefer to stay in Chorio, this summer we are going to stay at Taxiarchis.
We like to walk and we always walk to the beaches that we like the most, which are Nikolaos and Marina. We also like to walk to Nimborio every summer.
We have also been walking with as well Jytte as Hugo, but we like walking instead of swimming, so now we make our own walks.
Does anyone know if it´s possible to walk from Nimborio or Chorio to Toli bay on the west coast or must we go by car or boat to the beach at the west coast?

All the best,
Karl-Johan
KN9700
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Jan » 14 Feb 2015, 16:32

Yes, you can walk to Toli. There are at least two/three approaches

- from Nimborio you start up the river valley from the centre of the path across the back of the bay (so past Maria's) and make your way up the hillside. There's a path of sorts but really you just keep going steeply up the valley, sticking to the right hand side. At the top you come out near a small farmstead and thence to the road, close to where the unsurfaced road leads down to Toli.

- from the back of the harbour in Yialos walk up the steep concrete slope to the cemetary, as if you were heading for Nimborio. At the end of the cemetary wall turn left on a rough path which then bends to the right and comes out on the hillside above the road to Nimborio, which is far below you. This path is sparsely red-dotted and contours round, above and past Nimborio. You need to look out for a fork in the path - the righthand path leads down into a dip by a wall then up to the tarmac road by a small fenced enclosure. Here turn right and follow the tarmac then left where the unsurfaced road leads down to Toil bay.

- if you're a masochist you can walk the whole way on the tarmac from the top of Chorio.

If you're not familiar with this side of the island and its paths it would be best to check locally before setting out to make sure you know where you're heading. And wear shoes with a decent grip - the paths are stony and potentially slippery. You probably won't meet anyone else on the walk, so take a water bottle and make sure someone knows where you've gone - that might sound a bit dramatic but it would easy to trip and fall and you don't want to spend the night on the hill.

Jan

-
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby KN9700 » 20 Feb 2015, 10:37

Thanks a lot to Jan for your tips about how to walk to Toli.
I think we´ll try to walk all the way or part of the way to Toli from Nimborio or from the cemetary.
If we are unable to find the way, I think that Symitours arranges tours by car to Toli.

Karl-Johan
KN9700
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Next

Return to Symi Chat