Worrying times

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Worrying times

Postby silverfox » 09 Jun 2022, 18:45

Well we had the dreaded phone call to tell us our TUI flight from Manchester on the 24th June was cancelled.

They were starting to look at other dates but Liz mentioned we would be prepared to go from other airports. We are now booked on a 6am flight from Doncaster on the same day, which is an easier journey for us, and should get us on Symi on the same day.

Another bonus is that we should also get a refund of £106.00.

We are now holding our breath that this flight will go ahead.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Re: Worrying times

Postby Lisa B » 09 Jun 2022, 19:08

My heart sank for you guys then! So glad you got it sorted and for the better :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby keith p » 09 Jun 2022, 19:16

Hi Silverfox we bumped into you at Sevasti 4 or 5 years ago, glad you are sorted for this year. Where are you staying? I know from previous blogs you stayed a bit lower. We're going on the 15th for a fortnight, can't wait.
keith p
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby silverfox » 09 Jun 2022, 19:24

Lisa B wrote:My heart sank for you guys then! So glad you got it sorted and for the better :)
Thanks Lisa just hope nothing changes now!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 09 Jun 2022, 19:30

keith p wrote:Hi Silverfox we bumped into you at Sevasti 4 or 5 years ago, glad you are sorted for this year. Where are you staying? I know from previous blogs you stayed a bit lower. We're going on the 15th for a fortnight, can't wait.

Hi Keith hope you are well.

We are staying at Franks, Taxiarchis which Liz finds easier although we would love to stay up at Sevasti again one year as they a great family who look after you so well.

Hope we can bump into you this year....you can usually find us in the comfy seats most mornings or the Rainbow around 3pm most (or every) day.

I really hope none of us Symi lovers get last minute flight cancellations now!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 09 Jun 2022, 21:49

That is a scary tale Silverfox. But I am very jealous of your early morning flight. We have ended up on afternoon flights for many years now (including this year) which are convenient but I really miss the flight down over the Aegean in daylight, it's not the same at 11PM.

We didn't have any real problems this year although Rhodes airport was chaos on the way back with Leeds/Bradford little better when we landed. Not nice but we were very fortunate.

Good luck with your trip and have fun when you get there!
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby silverfox » 09 Jun 2022, 22:14

It was/is scary as Liz had had a message saying that Olympic needed to talk to us urgently. We did fear the worst for a night but really do hope we, and any other members going to Symi get their fix.

We do need our fix and will really enjoy enjoy our holiday but we are aware with only 2 weeks to go anything can happen.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Mille » 10 Jun 2022, 06:34

As a Dane I have to ask, why are so many UK flights being cancelled?

So far no Danish flights have been cancelled but some travel agencies do send out an extra bill to cover the added fuel cost.
And on top of that we are looking at a strike from Scancinavian Airlines who, among others, do some charter flight to Rhodes.

I sincerelly hope, that those who have booked their annual Symi fix will be able to go this Summer/ Autumn!!
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Allan » 10 Jun 2022, 10:17

Mille wrote:As a Dane I have to ask, why are so many UK flights being cancelled?

That is a very good question Mille.
After a bit of research the answer seems to be "no one knows". There is a lot of finger pointing going on with government and all sections of the airline industry blaming each other. There is a chronic shortage of staff at airports as a result of "not needed" staff being sacked during the pandemic and airport management being taken by surprise at the level of demand for travel when the Covid restrictions ended. But just how that has led to flights being cancelled is anyone's guess.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby katy » 10 Jun 2022, 10:22

Aaaagh! We booked with Olympic this year as we thought it would give us more security than our usual independent booking re Covid. Heyho, perhaps they will have sorted themselves out by September.
katy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby silverfox » 10 Jun 2022, 13:21

katy wrote:Aaaagh! We booked with Olympic this year as we thought it would give us more security than our usual independent booking re Covid. Heyho, perhaps they will have sorted themselves out by September.

I should hope things will be back to normal by September Katy.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby katy » 11 Jun 2022, 09:37

Let's hope so :)
katy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Return to Symi Chat