A Special Return

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

A Special Return

Postby silverfox » 17 Jun 2022, 12:20

A Special Return

"Leaving from the clock tower is still special and tugs at your heart but you always have to believe it’s good to leave because it’s so special to return"

These are some of the wise words from the last time we left Symi.

900b.jpg

If you are lucky a holiday destinaton can capture your imagination, mind, and indeed your heart.

To make anyone aware who does not know us, we never went back to the same place and visited new places each year.

We love Greece so have visited many islands and the mainland but one visit to Symi and the heart took over the heads and we have now been back every year since....until Covid where the special return the year later never happened. We, like many others, have had our holidays cancelled for the last 2 years.

900.jpg

I always start a blog early as I think it extends the experience but as we have missed 2 years it's probably more important than ever before. I must admit along with many people I have struggled with my mental health this year and getting to Symi for a break can only help me and I hope the posts will help others too.

I think we all expected, or certainly hoped, by now that THE master bloggers D & E would have given us a heads up about changes and where the best food is this year but D's health is more important and we send all our best wishes and love and do hope he is well enough to travel to Symi soon as it will be so good for him as well as Eiri. Big big boots to fill with ramblings from us for sure!!!! We will do our best to eat as much as we can and share our thoughts but when it comes to food and blogging D & E are the experts!

900a.jpg

Our 3:50pm flight from Manchester next Friday was cancelled a week ago, which gave us a shock, but now we fly at 6am from Doncaster (unless any more last minute problems) and we should be on Symi the same day with either the late Sabeco or the late Blue Star ferry.

One problem this week that has hit me is that I'm having to walk with a stick as my back has decided to give me problems.....this has happened just before our holidays before and we really hope it clears up within the next week!

Although we will probably sail into the new harbour, rather than the magical clock tower docking, there will probably be a few emotional tears as we make this long awaited return.

One thing for sure the tears will be tears of joy!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Re: A Special Return

Postby Mille » 17 Jun 2022, 13:18

Sebeco docks by the old Symi Visitor office (now a hotel of some sort)

I don't know what it is, but being on Symi really helps my mental health.
It must be the sun, the sea, the people, the food?

It's magic and I wish I could come back for more of what ever it is :)
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lisa B » 17 Jun 2022, 20:38

Silverfox, couldn't agree more, we never understood people who 're-visited' places until we found Symi. Sorry to hear about your back but hope the comfy seats will help. We're on countdown too, hope flights from Manchester go ok for us all next week.
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 18 Jun 2022, 09:44

Mille wrote:I don't know what it is, but being on Symi really helps my mental health.
It must be the sun, the sea, the people, the food?

It's magic and I wish I could come back for more of what ever it is :)

I find it very difficult not to use the word "magical" whenever talking about Symi.

Lisa B We have our fingers crossed for all the Symi lovers heading out there any time soon.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 18 Jun 2022, 10:57

Silverfox

I agree that Covid has affected everyone in ways that are only just starting to show. After my visit in 2020 and the stress of being away from the island in 2021 it was with a lot of trepidation that I returned this year.
But I was wrong to be concerned.
I soon discovered that Symi has not lost that indefinable "something" that draws us back year after year. As Mille mentioned, it really does help your mental health. I don't know why but it does. So much so that just a week after I returned I booked flights to go back in September. ;)
So sorry to hear that you are having to walk with a stick but as someone on the island put it to me: "where do you want to go to in a hurry?" To me, that sums up some of the magic of the island. There's nothing to hurry for and going slowly just means you have time to look around and enjoy the island more.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby silverfox » 18 Jun 2022, 13:01

@ Allan So glad to hear that you have another trip booked in September for your "something" fix. :D

The back feels a little better but I had planned some heavy work this weekend that I'm not sure I should chance.

We are just in a hurry to get there and then relax.

:)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 18 Jun 2022, 15:34

silverfox wrote:We are just in a hurry to get there and then relax.

And THAT is a reason to hurry. It can stop the minute you get on the plane.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby silverfox » 18 Jun 2022, 16:38

Allan wrote:
silverfox wrote:We are just in a hurry to get there and then relax.

And THAT is a reason to hurry. It can stop the minute you get on the plane.

I think the minute I relax is when I get my friend "Jack Daniels" as we go over the Alps.

When does the relax moment work for others?
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Mille » 18 Jun 2022, 16:45

When does the relax moment work for others?

I have a list of moments tbh :)

1. Having lunch at the storage facility aka the hotel where I wait for the ferry.
2. Passing Panormitis, Pedi and then finally seeing the harbour.
3. Enjoying the very first meal on Symi. Always at Zoe's! It's a tradition.
4. When I wake up the next morning and realise I'm on Symi.

But I must admit that this year was bit different as it took me a few days to relax completely/ get into the Symi routine.
I think it's because I'm recovering from a bad depression.
And ofc the fact that I had not been on Symi for two long years.
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Allan » 18 Jun 2022, 17:02

silverfox wrote:When does the relax moment work for others?

For me it is the bar at the Plaza in Rhodes. Even though it's around midnight, I realise just how stressful the whole taxi/airport/flight/airport/taxi thing has been and I sit there with the first beer of the holiday and feel the stress just slip away. It's odd because I still haven't made it to Symi and I have a ferry ride the following day to come but the relaxation has started and it happens every single time.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby D and E » 20 Jun 2022, 09:00

You are already weaving your magic and your kind words humble us.

To answer that great question - we normally arrive in time to catch a late ferry so it’s a matter of then getting to the accommodation, dumping bags and heading out and as soon as we see Yannis (Raindow) smile and his heartfelt welcome we know we are “home” and the stress just evaporates into the Sými air.

Take care of that back - we can vouch for the restorative powers of Mythos.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby silverfox » 21 Jun 2022, 20:53

@ D & E The welcome from Yiannis and whoever is sat at the Rainbow is usually special and we are so looking forward to that.

We anxiously keep checking any information about flights and Doncaster Airport. Hearing that Gwen & Pete were delayed by 5 hours on the way home last night doesn't help the nerves.

2 days left to work which will go so slow but so fast but having to get to the airport presumably 3 hours before departure we don't have much chance of sleep left.

The cases are almost ready and Martin, our eldest son, booked in for taxi duties we are almost ready to go.

The back has improved with just a few sharp pains from time to time so I'm walking again without the stick.

Last lap time.....
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 24 Jun 2022, 14:28

Hi Silverfox,

Its very pleasing to hear you are going back to Symi and sympathise with the stress caused by the airline change. I have checked the departures and all looked well so fingers crossed you have made it and by the time you read this you should be back in the caring hands of Frank and his family at Taxiarchis. Enjoy and we look forward to your blogging.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 25 Jun 2022, 06:59

Well it's another early start from a still dark Sheffield but no chance of the nice scenery over The Snake Pass or Winnats Pass to Manchester Airport as you may have already read that our 6am flight is now out of Doncaster. (I'm not calling it Doncaster Sheffield as it's just outside Doncaster, 35 minutes drive from Sheffield).

After a few last minute jobs yesterday like cleaning our Chickens out and making sure we give the eggs away so we don't keep any in the house while we are on holiday. Our neighbour has kindly volunteered to look after the girls while we are away. I really don't know what he will do with the predicted 84 fresh eggs!

lads.jpg
The grandchildren and one of the girls

We meet our eldest son Martin, after the delight of seeing a Fox and it's club, close to his house at a silly 2.05am in our car so he uses our petrol and not his own and we make our way out of Sheffield, after a slight detour due to roads being closed, and soon are on the M18.

It's the first time we have flown from Doncaster, despite it being the closest to home, and we are pleasantly suprised when we arrive. The queues are not too bad and soon 8 desks are open and we are through check in and security within 35 minutes with the staff doing a great job.

Donny.jpg

A meal deal in the bag and soon we are boarding ready for the 6am getaway. 11 minutes late pushing back and 25 minutes late into the air but with favourable winds and a few friendly Jacks we are in Rhodes at 12 noon.

jack.jpg
Friendly Jacks

By the time we are through security the bags are already coming through and within 5 minutes we are off! The rep was waiting and whisked us to a waiting Minibus and we are soon in the Old Town with plenty of time for the ferry.

We settled at a quiet looking Filipos Taverna, where we shared a very nice lunch of Dolmades, Greek Salad and chips, and a beer for me of course.

dolmades.jpg
Very tasty Dolmades

salad.jpg
Very nice Greek Salad

We took our time before heading down to the Kolona port are where the Sebeco would take us on a very bumpy crossing, with a few passengers struggling with sea sickness, arriving on Symi at bang on 7pm. This must go down as the easiest and fastest trip we have had to get to Symi.

Frank, the owner of Taxiarchis Apartments where we are staying was there to give us a warm welcome before being driven up by his friend. Room 20 is allocated to us and a quick wash before out for more food. We have a great welcome from Yiannis, Neil, Toby and Anne and a quick catch up over beer before down the steps and into Georgios.

We were looking forward to the Shrimp Pasties but they were gone so we went for Courgette Balls, Fried Feta with Honey and a very hearty Beef in Metaxa washed down with a little white wine.

food.jpg
Georgios food

The young lady who served us ended our night with some great live singing.

What a fantastic day with a great feeling of relief and contentment!

We were asleep before our heads hit the pillows.

We have made our special return to this magical little rock.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 25 Jun 2022, 10:06

Kalimera Silverfox - so pleased to read that you had a good journey over and we are now with you in spirit and will look forward to each instalment as and when you can post.
We could almost taste that beef in Metaxa :D
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Mille » 25 Jun 2022, 11:31

Isn't it good to be back on the Rock?

The Sebeco was very bumpy when I came to Symi in late May.
I closed my eyes and I am not very sea strong, but was woken up by the sound of people.. well.. throwing up.

I really envy the Beef in Metaxa. It was not on the menu in May!

I look forward to more bloggin from the rock!
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Postby silverfox » 25 Jun 2022, 19:36

D and E wrote:Kalimera Silverfox - we are now with you in spirit
We could almost taste that beef in Metaxa :D

It worked the Metaxa spirit appeared by magic in the apartment for my nightcap! :shock: :? :shock:
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 26 Jun 2022, 06:07

Saturday 25th June

After a long but very satisfying travel day I am up and about at 7am. The chickens help as Pedi is full of them and the cockerels start around 4am! Some may not like this but as a chicken owner I love it although we only keep hens.

no 20.jpg
Taxiarchis number 20

After re-sizing the pictures the blog is posted and I've already put my clothes away.

A couple of coffees and a quick shower and we are away.

With Liz having had a lay in we left around 10am and we hopped, skipped and jumped down the Kali Stata, well inched very carefully at each step if we are being honest. Nothing much changes on the Kali apart from new paint each year. Still the amazing houses lay in ruins.

church.jpg
Views from the Kali Strata

We only see one person all the way down and we are soon at the quiet port and in Aigiolos for coffee and toast.

breakfast.jpg
Breakfast at Comfy Seats

I leave Liz sat reading and I am off all the way round to Tholos corner to see what has changed in the two years we have not been able to visit Greece.

I do love walking around here and even after our many visits I never tire of the views.

guard.jpg
Bridge guard

There is a new nice looking supermarket near the clock tower, a new small taverna at the boat yard and of course the new development of the square.

square.jpg
Symi developments

Meeting back up with Liz and she peruses a couple of shops for a new floppy hat as it's pretty hot.

Wandering through the back lanes we noticed a few closed shops before having a great welcome from Jordana at Meet the Meat. We are still pretty full from all the food yesterday so Liz chose a Ceaser Salad and I went for the Giros Pita. The cool draft beer is so nice as this is a very hot day.

salad.jpg
Caesar Salad

Liz catches the bus back up (for the first of no doubt many times) whilst I brave the walk up the road which is particularly difficult in this heat and which my aching back which is giving me a few problems today.

transport.jpg
Liz found a parking space by the clock tower

Meeting up at Campos we are soon in the supermarket across from Ringos bar where our first essentials (well Metaxa) such as water are bought and carried back to our base at Franks.

A refreshing iced orange juice re-starts the batteries before I slowly climb the small hill to Yiannis. It is very quiet with just the locals and Anne who is sat reading in the afternoon shade. I feel very content sat in "my special Greek bar" that may not do it for everyone but if you get it it's heaven on earth.

We are soon joined by friends from previous years and Liz appears after a short nap.

We stay far too long and need a rest so after a quick trip to the supermarket we head back to number 20.

boat.jpg

A Metaxa night cap finishes off a simple day off very nicely.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby KN9700 » 26 Jun 2022, 08:50

Dear Silverfox,

Just to let you know how much we love your Symiletters :D
We´re going to Symi in September staying at Taxiarchis as usual.
Now after you have started writing your letters, we long even more to come back.

So, please, keep on writing and taking photoes.

All the best,
Inge and Karl-Johan
KN9700
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby silverfox » 26 Jun 2022, 18:47

KN9700 wrote:we long even more to come back.
Inge and Karl-Johan

So many thanks to you both for the kind words but your few words say it all.

We all want to return to a special place.

I will do my best to let you know my very boring day to day on Symi.

You take care my friends.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Next

Return to Symi Chat