SYMI ANIMAL WELFARE SPRINGTIME REPORT

Postby Mille » 20 Apr 2008, 11:24

Posted by Mille on behalf of SAW

Symi is currently basking in Springtime sunshine and preparations are frantically being made all over the Island for the impending Summer season. Everywhere, both old and new businesses are giving the final touches to fresh decor, menus and opening times. Symi Animal Welfare is no different, our committee has been working hard all winter to put together certain changes, so I would like to take this opportunity to explain a few of them to you -

new blue collection boxes - the 'Panic' logo which you all know so well, is to be incorporated into bright label artwork done by Gill Bennett. There will be a number of details on the label including an email address should you want/need to contact us directly. Look out for the new boxes in all previous locations + a few extra ones

our newsletter is to be renamed the Symi Animal Welfare Bulletin, it will contain more information than before and we hope to update it on a regular basis throughout the year. We will be including details of our on-going work + of animals rehomed and helped in so many ways. The SAW Bulletin will be available in a variety of offices, bars and restaurants in Yialos and the Village and also from you travel company representative. We will of course, continue to publish bi-monthly reports on SymiDream website and in the Symi Visitor newspaper.

many of you may already be aware that, as from April 2008, Symi has another animal welfare organisation, FAROS. There is a webpage on the -.com website which explains fully their plans for the future. This new initiative is wonderful news for the animals of Symi especially as the two organisations have different objectives and fundraising, but the same desire to improve the welfare of our Island's animals.

Symi Animal Welfare will aim to raise sufficient funds so that we can continue to -
a) offer general first-aid treatment and medications to sick, injured or distressed animals 12 months a year
b) provide a winter feeding programme for street cats and dogs
c) organise an annual UK voluntary vet visit, the emphasis being to neuter feral cats
d) liaise closely with vets on Rhodes and in the UK + recognised charities including the Greek Cat Welfare Society and the Greek Animal Welfare Fund
e) further develop existing involvement with our Greek friends and neighbours

We thankyou for your support and look forward to meeting up with again sometime during the Summer
best wishes, Melanie Sharp
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Postby maziemoo » 20 Apr 2008, 13:17

I'm sure everyone will join me in wishing Symi Animal Welfare continued success with this ongoing project.

For many years the team have worked tirelessly for the benefit of the animals on Symi and it's excellent that their work has a focus on the day to day welfare of the animals which is every bit as important as having regular veterinary visits.

I hope the team wont mind me saying that if any of you are around in October when Martin the vet pays his annual visit, I would encourage you to consider offering a few hours to help out. It's really rewarding to be able to offer some very practical help and there's always plenty to do.

For me it's also about giving something back to the island that gives me so much pleasure.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Messages from the forum admins