Symi's online presence

Symi's online presence

Postby Allan » 11 May 2018, 17:08

I think that by now people will have realised that Symi's online presence has changed following the closure of Symivisitor.
I know that many of you used the links on the Symivisitor homepage which may not be online for much longer so I thought I should try to summarise the changes as I understand them to give you chance to add/modify your browser bookmarks.

The webcam IS still running at the time of this post but it will have to be closed down fairly soon so enjoy it while you can! The URL is simply: http://symi.webcam

Andy Wards indispensable travel guide is at a new home: http://www.andyward.me.uk/symiblog

Adriana has also found a new home for her Symi blog: https://adrianashum.com

Both blogs have the same great content as before but now with a fresh new look.

The Chat Page will continue to provide friendly impartial help and advice for visitors to Symi right here at: http://symiforum.com

Symi Dream, of course, hasn't been affected by these changes and the blog continues at: http://symidream.com

News and information about the island's animal welfare organisation is still at: http://symianimalwelfare.org
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Symi's online presence

Postby Gemma1 » 12 May 2018, 09:25

Sorry to hear the webcam won't be continuing Allan :( I will really miss my morning view of Symi harbor as I look at the webcam most mornings over breakfast. Thanks for updating us all with the new links.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Thomasdk » 13 May 2018, 07:52

Thanks for the updates. I am also very sorry to hear about the webcam, since I've become used to enjoying the small, but live view of Symi, when I'm not there.
It would be great, if someone could take over the webcam and keep it running, also since I think it's great for tempting people to go to Symi. :)
Thomasdk
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Allan » 13 May 2018, 09:13

I agree Gemma1 and Thomasdk, losing the webcam is a real shame and it would be nice if we could find somewhere new for it but without a well known website to host the webcam view it's difficult to see how it could continue.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Thomasdk » 13 May 2018, 12:54

Not trying to flaunt my ignorance here, but is symi.webcam not a website? I'm aware that you have to know the url, but I think that works fine.
But maybe I'm missing something and the only well known websites would then probably be either Symidream (I think it would fit well there, but don't know if Toby thinks so too) or Adrianashum.com (though Adrianas-symi.blogspot.com would have been a lot more known at this time).
Anyway, I just think it's a shame, since I've gotten used to checking it daily, especially at work, in order to dream away to Symi. Maybe the mayor has an idea? It has to have value, when it comes to tourism, I would think.

What's the traffic of the webcam, by the way? I have a website (symi.dk), although I doubt it would fall under the category well known, so just for curiosity.
Last edited by Thomasdk on 13 May 2018, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
Thomasdk
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Allan » 13 May 2018, 13:18

Not ignorant at all Thomas, you are quite right. But the camera itself has to go somewhere (It can't stay where it is for much longer) and have an active internet connection before the image can be displayed on any website. Then someone has to be responsible for the hardware and someone has to deal with the complaints and enquiries...

Then, when all that is in place, all we have a "service" for people who already love Symi.

Wendy was special. She didn't mind taking on all the things I've mentioned plus a whole lot more just because she believed something was good for the island. It's one of the reasons I admired her so much. Sadly, Wendy was a one-off. In today's financial climate people are understandably more concerned about survival than providing a service of unknown real value and I don't blame them for that.

But rest assured that we are doing all we can to try to keep the camera running for as long as possible.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Thomasdk » 13 May 2018, 14:08

Yes, it was quite a shock and blow to hear about Wendy, also since everything afterwards seemed so unorganized. Not trying to be rude, it was just so unfortunate, how there was nothing prepared in case of such a thing.
I would have thought Adriana would take over, but of course that wasn't possible, as I understand everything was in Wendys name. I doubt many people think about these things, that one day someone will have to carry on their legacy and Wendys work was undoubtedly a legacy. I really hope everything works out for all eventually.
And webcam wise: Oh, those were the things I hadn't taken in to consideration. But I'm glad you're still trying to keep it alive, hopefully it will survive somehow.
Thomasdk
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 14 May 2018, 07:41

There's only one thing for it Allan - I'm afraid you will have to move to Symi and look after the webcam permanently ;)

For now I will enjoy my 'live' views of Symi harbour for as long as they last and thank you to everybody - past and present - who made this happen.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Messages from the forum admins