Peaceful and romantic

Archived posts about accommodation on Symi

Peaceful and romantic

Postby beedeji » 18 Jun 2008, 11:16

Greetings all. The wife and I are planning a fortnight in the sun in September and looking for a peaceful, beautiful, romantic(ish) spot on a magical Greek island. In the past we have particularly fallen in love with Loggos on Paxos and Halki so just wondering if there might be any corners of Symi which might be similar in atmosphere, size and hecticness?

Symi's top of our list at the moment, just got to find the right apartment/area.
beedeji
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Peaceful and romantic

Postby Mille » 18 Jun 2008, 12:14

Welcome to the Symi Visitor, beedeji.

Symi is wonderful and romantic, but a bit more hectic than Halki.

For a real romantic stay I would suggest accomodation in Chorio. Lovely views, a real village atmosphere.

If you travel independantly, I would suggest looking at the SV accomodation page.
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Peaceful and romantic

Postby beedeji » 18 Jun 2008, 19:17

Thanks for the very quick reply, Mille.

Chorio properties look lovely but is it going to be busy with daytrippers there or do they tend to stay down by the harbour? We've tended to go for more rural places in the past, or at least on the edge of the villages, our priority being a terrace/balcony/garden where we can spend hours soaking up extensive views and sunshine without having to say kalimera to an endless stream of people passing by. Would Chorio still fit the bill?
beedeji
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Peaceful and romantic

Postby Joanie » 18 Jun 2008, 19:22

Hello beedeji a very warm welcome to the chatpage.You will adore the place and want to keep going back.Its a beautiful island,with a great atmosphere and very friendly people.As Mille says Chorio is so nice with wonderful views and very quaint,with lots of nice places to eat.

p.s. the day trippers tend to stay down in the harbour .There are lots of accomodation with private balcony's and terraces up in Chorio
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Peaceful and romantic

Postby Kojak » 18 Jun 2008, 22:33

Beejedi, I would recommend the Taxiarchis apartments in Chorio. They are at the end of a lane on the outskirts of Chorio with superb views right down the Pedi valley to the sea and Turkey beyond. The noisiest thing you are likely to hear is a goat bell and maybe the occasional donkey. You'll get a warm welcome from the owners and all the peace and quiet you want!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Peaceful and romantic

Postby Anthony » 18 Jun 2008, 23:09

I'm a great fan of Taxiarchis myself, but one slight word of warning in relation to what I understand you to be looking for. Though he does have a few upstairs apartments with a private balcony, by this stage in the year they are likely all to be booked for September. What you would most probably be left with are his standard ground-floor studios with simply a sitting-out area in front of the door, abutting on to the main path.

If you're looking for something more upmarket and private, Symi Visitor are probably a better bet.
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Peaceful and romantic

Postby Allan » 19 Jun 2008, 14:01

Welcome to the chat page Beedeji

As others have said Chorio will certainly fit the bill if you want peace and quiet. Only the most intrepid day-trippers make it up from the harbour and then only to collapse in a bar for a refreshing drink.

You'll love it. (we are doing! ;) )

If you are looking at September I'd recommend booking your accommodation soon because it is a very popular month.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Peaceful and romantic

Postby beedeji » 19 Jun 2008, 17:37

Thanks for all the info, sounds pretty ideal!
beedeji
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Peaceful and romantic

Postby Miss Exige » 19 Jun 2008, 22:35

We stayed in cassandra one of the symi viz house's, breath taking views over the harbour and plenty of time to take the sun on the private roof top terrace....close walk to the best places to eat in symi in the village,one of these places listed as one of the top five places to eat in all of greece and boy this little taverna brings a tear to your eye...the food is out of this world.
simply stunning.....in every way.
Miss Exige
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Peaceful and romantic

Postby MacDuff » 21 Jun 2008, 02:28

The Hotel Fiona has a wonderful view of Yialos (the harbour) is easily accessed by using the Symi Bus from Yialos to the windmills and saves any catering although they do have two excellent studio apartments for self catering. Close to the Rainbow bar at the top of the Kali Strata for the 4.30 0uzo, several good tavernas and to three bars for evening refreshments.
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Peaceful and romantic

Postby Anthony » 24 Jun 2008, 13:35

Further to my comments about likely availability at Taxiarchis in September, I've just had an e-mail from Frank telling me that he does still have a nice sea-view studio and apartments available in September with private balcony overlooking Pedi Bay.

Seems you could still be lucky!
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to Accommodation